- In season 2, ‘Succession’ has quietly become one of the best shows on TV Sunday 9:10 PM
- Alexa Demie shares the beauty inspiration behind ‘Euphoria’s’ Maddy Sunday 5:47 PM
- Fans just discovered Lizzo’s old YouTube channel–and it’s full of gems Sunday 4:22 PM
- The ‘Final Destination’ movies are now streaming on Hulu Sunday 2:44 PM
- Marvel asked ‘Maus’ author to remove Trump reference from essay–he refused Sunday 2:02 PM
- Counselors reportedly pressured to share private info about Facebook moderators Sunday 1:20 PM
- Barstool Sports founder under investigation for anti-union tweets Sunday 12:34 PM
- Harmony Korine’s ‘The Beach Bum’ is now streaming on Hulu Sunday 12:19 PM
- How an Instagram feud led to the death of 9-year-old girl Sunday 11:08 AM
- A scarier ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ extended director’s cut is coming to Blu-ray Sunday 9:15 AM
- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Sunday 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Sunday 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
Jared Wyand was part of an effort by Trump stans to #BoycottStarWars over the film’s alleged anti-Trump bias, as well as comments made by a pair of Rogue One writers. But it seems he took the argument too far, escalating from allegations of bias to allegations of a Jewish media conspiracy and “white genocide”:
A Trump fansite called Magafeed lamented the suspension of Wyand’s account, writing, “Jared joins a list of well respected deplorables, including Ricky Vaughn and Milo [Yiannopoulos], who have been banned by Twitter.”
According to Magafeed—which is nakedly biased and ought to be taken with a grain of salt—Wyand wasn’t banned for his antisemitic Star Wars tweet. The site claims he was punished for his most recent tweet, expressing support for Geert Wilders, the Dutch far-right politician who was just convicted of inciting racial discrimination.
Twitter hasn’t commented on the ban, so it’s impossible to say which of Wyand’s remarks against Muslims and Jews finally resulted in the suspension of his account.
Now a #FreeJared campaign has sprung up among Twitter’s self-identified deplorables:
Previous campaigns to reinstate alt-right accounts, notably #FreeMilo, have failed to sway Twitter.
Meanwhile, the Star Wars Boycott, which kicked off after screenwriter Chris Weitz declared that Star Wars was “against hate,” continues.
Weitz also tweeted, and later deleted, “Please note that the Empire is a white supremacist (human) organization.” Fellow Rogue One writer Gary Whitta added, “Opposed by a multi-cultural group led by brave women.”
This interpretation of the Star Wars legend didn’t sit well with the Trump-supporting White Genocide crowd, who interpreted it as an attack on Trump and on white people. In a classic internet game of telephone, the boycotters turned these comments about the overarching series into allegations that Rogue One would have explicitly anti-Trump content.
Now I see that the nefarious little twits who have taken over the Star Wars franchise are employing it as a tool to gin up racial hatred.
— Same Handle on Gab (@lorettatheprole) December 9, 2016
As some are pointing out, though, boycotting one of the most popular movie franchises of all time for being against white supremacy doesn’t exactly put the boycotters in a positive light:
They’re not denying Trump is the Empire, they’re just saying the Empire was good.
Spoiler: if you’re trying to boycott Star Wars, you’re not the Rebellion.
You’re the *Empire.*
— Chuck Wendig (@ChuckWendig) December 9, 2016
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.