- Jeff Bezos’ girlfriend allegedly sent his nudes to her brother, who then leaked them Saturday 6:38 PM
- This Instagram account catches influencers in the wild Saturday 5:42 PM
- The best upcoming video games to look out for in February 2020 Saturday 5:23 PM
- TikTok teens use AirPods and Google Translate to secretly talk in class Saturday 4:32 PM
- Video shows corpses of coronavirus victims lying in China hospital Saturday 3:44 PM
- Kid meets Slipknot after drumming video goes viral Saturday 2:30 PM
- Channing Tatum responds to troll who tried to compare Jenna Dewan and Jessie J’s looks Saturday 1:46 PM
- Grindr pulls an ‘I don’t know her’ after Eminem suggests he uses the app Saturday 12:48 PM
- Here are the top 10 most popular Instagram models in 2020 Saturday 12:21 PM
- ‘The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina’ takes its characters on a fantasy adventure to Hell in season 3 Saturday 11:37 AM
- Woman no longer in sorority, school after racist MLK post Saturday 10:45 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Miss Americana’ starts to deconstruct the myth of Taylor Swift Saturday 10:32 AM
- Teens charged with attempted arson after participating in TikTok ‘outlet challenge’ Saturday 8:56 AM
- ‘American Dirt’ is a metaphor for a white country built on the back of immigrants Saturday 6:00 AM
- This woman told two students to ‘speak English’ and people are not having it Friday 9:53 PM
Last night’s Democratic presidential debate didn’t bring as many fireworks as expected. The only high drama came when Sens. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) tussled over allegations that he told her that a woman couldn’t win the 2020 presidential election, which he denies.
No matter. Social media to the rescue.
Tom Steyer memes and commentary flooded the feed like sweet manna. Most of the memes featured Steyer standing between Warren and Sanders in an awkward post-debate moment that the billionaire hedge fund manager seemed either delightfully oblivious to or like an umpire getting between a couple of kids fighting at a Little League game.
“Not the most important thing here, but Tom Steyer is really quite poor at reading whether a conversation is in need of a third participant,” commented Eric Levitz of New York Magazine’s Intelligencer.
MSNBC’s Joy Reid was among those who wanted Steyer to spill the details about Sanders’ and Warren’s conversation. “Can Tom Steyer please do some field reporting on what he heard in this exchange? He seemed to be trying to mediate,” she tweeted.
Unfortunately, according to Politico reporter Alex Thompson, Steyer was more intent on fleeing the premises than overhearing what was said. “Whatever they were talking about, I was trying to get out of the way as fast as possible,” Thompson reported Steyer said of the moment.
Steyer is all of us as kids when our parents were arguing pic.twitter.com/VNF8f6SX62— inspirepragmatism 🌐 (@inspireprag) January 15, 2020
The winner of this debate is clearly Tom Steyer's face pic.twitter.com/RR1TlpDrwY— Kathryn Watson (@kathrynw5) January 15, 2020
Tom Steyer with incredibly big "trying to make friends at a party where you don't know anyone" energy pic.twitter.com/BCD10CeUzr— Alex Bazeley (@a_bazeley) January 15, 2020
[awkward first day at Steyer Senior Living Community]— NeverTweet (@LOLNeverTweet) January 15, 2020
"No. I'm telling you, Mr. Steyer: she steals my heart pills." pic.twitter.com/CMLySypC5P
tom steyer watching warren and sanders fight after the debate: pic.twitter.com/d5eJfOn0N7— Lauren Radicchi (@radicchi_lauren) January 15, 2020
Some poked fun at his expression, which is something akin to resting puppy dog face.
Steyer, for his part, seemed unconcerned by the many memes about him. After the debate, he responded to President Donald Trump’s attack on him.
“I said you’re a fraud and a failure — and I’ll expose you,” Steyer tweeted. “Now go to bed.”
The next Democratic presidential debate will be on Feb. 7.
Claire Goforth is a Jacksonville, Florida-based journalist covering politics, culture, justice, and unicorns. Her work has appeared in publications ranging from regional alt-weeklies to Al Jazeera.