- Fans are surprisingly hyping Moby up for his new vegan tattoo Tuesday 6:13 PM
- Suspicionless searches of travelers’ electronics ruled unconstitutional Tuesday 5:22 PM
- Facebook testing TikTok clone within Instagram called Reels Tuesday 5:11 PM
- Han Solo shooting scene changed yet again, spawning ‘Maclunkey’ memes Tuesday 4:52 PM
- Facebook bug opened iPhone cameras while users scrolled their feeds Tuesday 4:36 PM
- Black Facebook employees say company racism has ‘gotten worse’ Tuesday 4:01 PM
- This fish with a ‘human face’ is here to give you nightmares Tuesday 3:28 PM
- TikTok’s piercing challenge leaves the fate of your face up to a filter Tuesday 2:54 PM
- Soldiers with top-secret clearance say they were ordered to install a sketchy app Tuesday 2:46 PM
- How to take your Korean beauty routine on the go Tuesday 2:24 PM
- Disney+’s ‘Encore!’ is a love letter to high school theater Tuesday 2:15 PM
- White tourist filmed shouting homophobic, racist slurs Tuesday 1:31 PM
- U.K. advocacy group releases deepfakes of Corbyn, Johnson endorsing each other Tuesday 1:07 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ series premiere throws ‘Star Wars’ in the middle of the wild west Tuesday 12:35 PM
- A total guide to bone conduction headphones, plus our recommendations Tuesday 12:34 PM
It’s tough choosing an outfit for a debate. You can take the easy way out and don party colors, or bust a power move like Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) in the all-white ensemble.
Or, if you’re billionaire philanthropist Tom Steyer, you can inject a bit of whimsy into your wardrobe. Specifically, by wearing a Christmas tie.
As America got its first glimpse of the least-known Democratic presidential candidate, who is campaigning on a solidly progressive platform and has a track record of successful political activism, many were distracted by the holiday-red plaid dangling from his neck.
Tom Steyer looks like he is on his way to a Christmas party— Rosie Gray (@RosieGray) October 16, 2019
Merry Christmas Tom Steyer!— Saagar Enjeti (@esaagar) October 16, 2019
Tom Steyer dresses like a he's throwing your company's Christmas Party— Matt Gorman (@mattsgorman) October 16, 2019
What in the Merry Christmas Santa please bring me an impeachment tie does Steyer have on? #DemDebate— 💙MountaineerFeevaDiva💛 (@Auntie_Allison) October 16, 2019
Why is Tom Steyer a character from a Rankin/Bass stop motion Christmas movie— Andrew Cunningham (@AndrewWrites) October 16, 2019
Steyer’s tie is confusing me- is he scottish or one of those people who already have their christmas decorations up? #DemocraticDebate— Alyssa Adkins (@LiteratiGeek) October 16, 2019
I see Tom Steyer and I have the same Christmas tie.— Jack Jenkins (@jackmjenkins) October 16, 2019
Maybe Santa will reward his holiday spirit by bringing him a nomination for Christmas.
Claire Goforth is a Jacksonville, Florida-based journalist covering politics, culture, justice, and unicorns. Her work has appeared in publications ranging from regional alt-weeklies to Al Jazeera.