- People on Twitter ask whose ancestors would’ve passed immigrant ‘wealth test’ Monday 6:54 PM
- Kobe Bryant helicopter crash mocked in teen’s TikTok video Monday 6:38 PM
- Chiefs, Bears, Packers have Twitter accounts hacked Monday 3:48 PM
- Washington Post reporter suspended amid backlash over Kobe Bryant tweet Monday 3:08 PM
- America is united in hating Ken Starr’s impeachment hat Monday 3:01 PM
- In ‘Cuties,’ the contradictions of growing up come to a head Monday 1:55 PM
- Racist tweets blame fruit bat soup for coronavirus Monday 1:25 PM
- What is the #ILeftTheGOP movement? Monday 1:21 PM
- The Grammys were weird and sad—but the Billy Porter hat memes offered some levity Monday 12:36 PM
- Auschwitz Museum calls on Facebook to ban Holocaust denialism Monday 11:59 AM
- YouTuber who said his girlfriend was dead now says he faked it Monday 11:42 AM
- Review: Kentucky Route Zero is one of the most magical games ever made Monday 11:00 AM
- Backlash grows against Clearview as lawsuit looms Monday 10:58 AM
- Tyler the Creator calls out the Grammys for racism over ‘Rap Album’ win Monday 10:25 AM
- Democrats call on John Bolton to testify after book bombshell Monday 9:56 AM
It’s tough choosing an outfit for a debate. You can take the easy way out and don party colors, or bust a power move like Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) in the all-white ensemble.
Or, if you’re billionaire philanthropist Tom Steyer, you can inject a bit of whimsy into your wardrobe. Specifically, by wearing a Christmas tie.
As America got its first glimpse of the least-known Democratic presidential candidate, who is campaigning on a solidly progressive platform and has a track record of successful political activism, many were distracted by the holiday-red plaid dangling from his neck.
Tom Steyer looks like he is on his way to a Christmas party— Rosie Gray (@RosieGray) October 16, 2019
Merry Christmas Tom Steyer!— Saagar Enjeti (@esaagar) October 16, 2019
Tom Steyer dresses like a he's throwing your company's Christmas Party— Matt Gorman (@mattsgorman) October 16, 2019
What in the Merry Christmas Santa please bring me an impeachment tie does Steyer have on? #DemDebate— 💙MountaineerFeevaDiva💛 (@Auntie_Allison) October 16, 2019
Why is Tom Steyer a character from a Rankin/Bass stop motion Christmas movie— Andrew Cunningham (@AndrewWrites) October 16, 2019
Steyer’s tie is confusing me- is he scottish or one of those people who already have their christmas decorations up? #DemocraticDebate— Alyssa Adkins (@LiteratiGeek) October 16, 2019
I see Tom Steyer and I have the same Christmas tie.— Jack Jenkins (@jackmjenkins) October 16, 2019
Maybe Santa will reward his holiday spirit by bringing him a nomination for Christmas.
Claire Goforth is a Jacksonville, Florida-based journalist covering politics, culture, justice, and unicorns. Her work has appeared in publications ranging from regional alt-weeklies to Al Jazeera.