- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ unmasks the time-traveling Red Angel Thursday 8:30 PM
- Everyone is making memes of Meghan McCain saying ‘my father’ on loop Thursday 8:11 PM
- Irony of Georgia’s sperm-reporting bill flies by anti-abortion advocates Thursday 7:11 PM
- Sex scandals are consuming the K-pop industry Thursday 5:44 PM
- Trump supporters are abandoning Fox News over network’s latest hire Thursday 5:20 PM
- QAnon is attacking a random woman in a disturbing and dangerous way Thursday 4:59 PM
- Google celebrates Bach with AI-powered, music-making doodle Thursday 4:53 PM
- RIP: The best free trial in all of streaming entertainment Thursday 2:19 PM
- Which ‘Florida Man’ are you? Thursday 1:06 PM
- Hundreds of millions of Facebook passwords were accessible to employees Thursday 12:55 PM
- ‘Bitch I’m Bella Thorne’ morphs into TikTok dyslexia meme Thursday 12:17 PM
- Marvel is auctioning props and costumes from Netflix’s ‘Defenders’ franchise Thursday 12:12 PM
- Net neutrality advocates plan online watch party for the ‘Save the Internet’ Act Thursday 12:01 PM
- Tim Cook turns his iPad meme into an AirPod meme Thursday 11:46 AM
- Auschwitz Memorial asks visitors to stop taking playful photos at Holocaust site Thursday 11:33 AM
The internet is disgusted by Mike Huckabee’s newest racist tweet
Gage Skidmore/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
President Donald Trump continues to pursue the storyline that Central American gang MS-13 is trying to invade the U.S. and that Democrats want to help them by being lax on the border. Even with much of the country enraged by the administration’s policy of separating families that cross the border from Mexico into the U.S., that hasn’t stopped Trump and his surrogates from blaming others for this country’s immigration issues.
That includes former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who tweeted this Saturday.
Nancy Pelosi introduces her campaign committee for the take back of the House. pic.twitter.com/yKDhkVubck
— Gov. Mike Huckabee (@GovMikeHuckabee) June 23, 2018
It’s clearly an attempt to tie Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) to Hispanic gang members, and much of the internet was disgusted by the racism of Huckabee’s proclamation.
All the subtlety of a Klan hood. https://t.co/cHmzDConMG
— ana marie cox (@anamariecox) June 23, 2018
an American tradition like no other.
scary poc are always coming for you. https://t.co/gFExLkfKIb
— profloumoore (@loumoore12) June 23, 2018
Mike Huckabee introduces what’s left of the soul of the Republican Party. https://t.co/c8DctCy27Q
— Will Saletan (@saletan) June 23, 2018
Reminder that Mike Huckabee isn’t just a despicable racist – he’s the father of the President’s Press Secretary. https://t.co/eWwwKh4ymp
— Shannon Watts (@shannonrwatts) June 23, 2018
Mike Huckabee, a Christian minister who believes in the power of love and forgiveness, would never exploit racism and tensions over immigration for political purposes. https://t.co/qRlBFZVaQ9
— Tim O'Brien (@TimOBrien) June 23, 2018
While Huckabee’s daughter, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, has been under immense pressure since she began her role as Trump’s press secretary, Mike Huckabee has become a full-throated supporter of the president.
He’s made a transphobic joke about Sen. Chuck Schumer, joked about North Koreans eating dogs, said he didn’t remember Trump’s “grab them by the pussy” Access Hollywood tape, and declared that Robert Mueller’s Russian investigation was actually in his butt.
And during one Cinco De Mayo, Huckabee tweeted a racist joke, writing, “For Cinco de Mayo I will drink an entire jar of hot salsa and watch old Speedy Gonzales cartoons and speak Spanish all day. Happy CdMayo!”
Earlier this week, it was reported that Huckabee praised Qatar on Twitter and on Fox News but didn’t reveal that he had been paid $50,000 to lobby for the country.
- Trump impeachment: Here are the odds Trump leaves office early
- Who’s going to challenge Trump in 2020? Here are the super-early contenders
- 10 surprising facts about Alex Jones, far-right conspiracy theorist
- Donald Trump memes are making the internet great again
- From ‘alt-right’ to white supremacy: A guide to America’s new racists
- Who is Candace Owens, Kanye West’s favorite new thinker?
Correction: An earlier version of this story misstated the geographical origins of MS-13. An earlier version of this story also misstated Chuck Schumer’s job title.
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.