- Man cuts his books in half to make them ‘portable,’ spurs online debate Tuesday 6:09 PM
- Fans defend Lana Del Rey after she was mocked for flying commercial Tuesday 5:10 PM
- Lady Gaga fans find alleged new song name in her website’s code Tuesday 4:42 PM
- Barstool Sports deletes anti-union tweets, blog post in settlement Tuesday 3:47 PM
- The ‘can have … as a treat’ meme has come full circle Tuesday 3:09 PM
- Joe Rogan says he’s voting for Bernie Sanders Tuesday 2:54 PM
- Woman spots mole in man’s TikTok video, saves him from cancer Tuesday 2:17 PM
- ‘You’ star confirms his character is queer and ‘never will be’ straight Tuesday 1:08 PM
- This Twitch streamer pooped his pants during a broadcast Tuesday 12:17 PM
- Apple’s iCloud encryption plan halted amid FBI pressure, report Tuesday 10:57 AM
- Glenn Greenwald charged with cybercrimes in Brazil Tuesday 10:48 AM
- BadBunny rips her fans for not sending her enough money Tuesday 10:06 AM
- White rapper punched in the face for saying the N-word during battle Tuesday 9:21 AM
- Hillary Clinton blasts Bernie Sanders, says ‘nobody likes him’ Tuesday 8:57 AM
- Someone found Harry Styles’ doppelganger—and TikTok is obsessed Tuesday 8:08 AM
Juli Briskman, the woman who was fired from her job after she flipped off President Donald Trump’s motorcade in 2017, won an election for local office in Virginia on Tuesday night.
Briskman, who ran as a Democrat, won her race to become a supervisor for the Algonkian District in Loudoun County, Virginia.
She won with 54.09 percent of the vote, with her challenger—an incumbent Republican—getting 45.74 percent of the vote, according to the Virginia Department of Elections.
Briskman’s district includes a Trump-owned golf course.
“Looking forward to representing my friends & neighbors in #Algonkian District who backed me up today! So proud that we were able to #FlipLoudpun #FlipVA #LOCO219 Thank you Loudoun!” the newly-elected supervisor wrote on Twitter on Tuesday night.
Looking forward to representing my friends & neighbors in #Algonkian District who backed me up today! So proud that we were able to #FlipLoudpun #FlipVA #LOCO219 Thank you Loudoun! https://t.co/vRcDUih1AP— Juli Briskman (@julibriskman) November 6, 2019
Briskman gained notoriety in 2017 when she was photographed giving the president’s motorcade the middle finger. She told HuffPost at the time that her employer, Akima LLC, fired her because of the photo.
“They said, ‘We’re separating from you. Basically, you cannot have ‘lewd’ or ‘obscene’ things in your social media. So they were calling flipping him off ‘obscene,'” she told the news outlet at the time.
Briskman’s win was met with joy by a number of people on social media.
Remember this viral photo?— Red T Raccoon (@RedTRaccoon) November 6, 2019
That's Juli Briskman.
She just unseated Algonkian supervisor Suzanne Volpe, a Republican. pic.twitter.com/DhFmC2jSRY
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).