- The ’24 hours to respond’ meme holds celebrities to a higher standard Monday 8:46 PM
- Twitter users miss the kids who walked in on their dad’s interview Monday 8:40 PM
- ‘The Thing About Men’ Twitter hashtag is full of sarcasm and misogyny Monday 7:27 PM
- This woman said Hillary Clinton losing the 2016 election gave her PTSD, and people are furious Monday 6:45 PM
- Vanessa Bryant files a lawsuit against helicopter company after deaths of Kobe and Gianna Monday 5:49 PM
- Michael Jordan cries at Kobe Bryant memorial, jokes about creating a new meme Monday 4:43 PM
- Woman’s boyfriend says it’s him or the frogs—Reddit says choose the frogs Monday 4:22 PM
- Greyhound buses will no longer allow Border Patrol checks Monday 4:04 PM
- ‘Eat Them To Defeat Them’ is oddly about vegetables—not about eating the rich Monday 3:26 PM
- Marco Rubio mocked for filming talking while driving socialism critique Monday 2:54 PM
- QAnon believer asks Trump’s campaign press secretary who Q is Monday 2:36 PM
- Octavia Spencer has discovered ‘Ma’ memes—and she can’t get enough Monday 2:09 PM
- Meet the anti-Greta Thunberg, a climate ‘skeptic’ funded by the oil industry Monday 1:12 PM
- Harvey Weinstein convicted of rape and sexual assault Monday 12:56 PM
- Senator calls Facebook’s current election disinformation efforts ‘inadequate’ in letter Monday 12:11 PM
YouTube prankster turned politician Joey Salads–whose real name is Joseph Saladino–accused “deep state” Democrats of orchestrating the latest school shooting, in which two students were killed.
Salads entered the political field in July when he announced his run for New York’s 11th District. The YouTube politician can now add conspiracy theorist to his biography because he tweeted that the left is responsible for the shooting at Saugus High School in Santa Clarita, California, on Thursday.
“Seems like everytime the Democrats fail at something there is something else to flood the News Cycle…” Salads tweeted, along with a SpongeBob SquarePants meme stating, “When the Impeachment hearings go horrible on the first day and the Deep State knows they got nothing.”
In the meme, SpongeBob is holding open a box that reads “mass shooting” on the inside of it.
Seems like everytime the Democrats fail at something there is something else to flood the News Cycle... pic.twitter.com/jWkGiMRusx— Saladino for Congress (@JoeySalads) November 14, 2019
Salads’ tweet came mere hours after a student opened fire on his peers.
The suspect, Nathaniel Berhow, killed a 16-year-old female student and a 14-year-old male student and injured three others before turning the gun on himself, according to the Los Angeles Times.
The shooting occurred the same day as the ongoing public hearings in the House of Representatives’ impeachment inquiry. The House is holding public hearings to determine if President Donald Trump illegally solicited help from Ukraine to target political opponents.
Salads alleges the shooting happened suspiciously close to what he claims are “failing” impeachment hearings. According to Salads, Trump’s opponents on the left and in the deep state are behind the shooting in order to dominate the news cycle and distract the public.
The deep state is the conspiracy theory that a shadow government exists and runs U.S. bureaucracy and military. Many far-right activists like Salads argue the deep state works to undermine Trump, including through the impeachment hearings.
Libby Cohen is a third-year University of Texas student originally from New Jersey. She has written for ORANGE Magazine, the Daily Texan, and most recently interned for 1010 WINS in NYC. She's now back in Austin writing for the Texas Standard and the Daily Dot.