- Swipe This! I’m ashamed to tell anyone about my online shopping habit 3 Weeks Ago
- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
- The 15 best Disney+ hidden gems and deep cuts Saturday 12:23 PM
- Everyone in GoFundMe scam involving homeless veteran has now pleaded guilty Saturday 12:06 PM
- Boy invites kindergarten class to his adoption–and people are emotional Saturday 11:56 AM
- Reddit links leaked trade deal documents to Russian campaign Saturday 10:44 AM
- How to stream Alistair Overeem vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik Saturday 8:30 AM
- Amazon sends customers condoms and soap instead of Nintendo Switch Saturday 8:28 AM
- How to live stream Jermall Charlo vs. Dennis Hogan Saturday 8:00 AM
- Apple TV’s ‘Truth Be Told’ is a criminally dull drama Saturday 6:00 AM
- Thousands of Uber users have reported sexual assaults, company says Friday 5:40 PM
YouTube prankster turned politician Joey Salads–whose real name is Joseph Saladino–accused “deep state” Democrats of orchestrating the latest school shooting, in which two students were killed.
Salads entered the political field in July when he announced his run for New York’s 11th District. The YouTube politician can now add conspiracy theorist to his biography because he tweeted that the left is responsible for the shooting at Saugus High School in Santa Clarita, California, on Thursday.
“Seems like everytime the Democrats fail at something there is something else to flood the News Cycle…” Salads tweeted, along with a SpongeBob SquarePants meme stating, “When the Impeachment hearings go horrible on the first day and the Deep State knows they got nothing.”
In the meme, SpongeBob is holding open a box that reads “mass shooting” on the inside of it.
Seems like everytime the Democrats fail at something there is something else to flood the News Cycle... pic.twitter.com/jWkGiMRusx— Saladino for Congress (@JoeySalads) November 14, 2019
Salads’ tweet came mere hours after a student opened fire on his peers.
The suspect, Nathaniel Berhow, killed a 16-year-old female student and a 14-year-old male student and injured three others before turning the gun on himself, according to the Los Angeles Times.
The shooting occurred the same day as the ongoing public hearings in the House of Representatives’ impeachment inquiry. The House is holding public hearings to determine if President Donald Trump illegally solicited help from Ukraine to target political opponents.
Salads alleges the shooting happened suspiciously close to what he claims are “failing” impeachment hearings. According to Salads, Trump’s opponents on the left and in the deep state are behind the shooting in order to dominate the news cycle and distract the public.
The deep state is the conspiracy theory that a shadow government exists and runs U.S. bureaucracy and military. Many far-right activists like Salads argue the deep state works to undermine Trump, including through the impeachment hearings.
Libby Cohen is a third-year University of Texas student originally from New Jersey. She has written for ORANGE Magazine, the Daily Texan, and most recently interned for 1010 WINS in NYC. She's now back in Austin writing for the Texas Standard and the Daily Dot.