- How to stream Manchester City vs. Bournemouth 4 Years Ago
- Catholic priest allegedly spent church money on Grindr hookups 4 Years Ago
- Nicolás Maduro’s English Twitter account was suspended with no public explanation Today 2:06 PM
- Man claims ex-girlfriend killed his dog after he broke up with her Today 1:02 PM
- What are BitTorrent downloads and how do they work? Today 12:58 PM
- ICE cuts the cord on real immigrant hotline after being featured in ‘Orange Is the New Black’ Today 10:49 AM
- The 10 best music podcasts for artist interviews and criticism in 2019 Today 10:41 AM
- How a socialist Twitch streamer landed in a feud with Dan Crenshaw Today 10:07 AM
- How to prepare for your fantasy football draft (and season) Today 9:00 AM
- Kit Harington is joining the MCU–and people are guessing which character he will play Today 8:48 AM
- How to live stream Juan Francisco Estrada vs. Dewayne Beamon Today 8:00 AM
- The 5 best free torrent clients you can download in 2019 Today 8:00 AM
- How to stream Saints vs. Jets in NFL preseason action Today 7:49 AM
- How to stream Chiefs vs. 49ers in NFL preseason action Today 7:36 AM
- How to live stream Bellator 225: Mitrione vs. Kharitonov Today 7:30 AM
Evangelical leader Jerry Falwell Jr. endorses Donald Trump over Ted Cruz
This is a big blow for Cruz, especially with the Iowa Caucus looming.
Falwell’s support is a blow for Cruz, a senator from Texas, who unlike Trump describes himself as an evangelical (Trump says he’s Presbyterian) and has relied on that community’s leaders for support.
The first primary election for the Republican nomination for president, in Iowa, is Feb. 1. The two Candidates are neck-and-neck in Iowa, with Trump currently leading by an average of 5.7 points, according to Real Clear Politics. Trump holds a commanding 16.9-point lead in the national GOP polls, and only Cruz is polling anywhere close to the businessman.
Trump spoke recently at Liberty University, where Falwell is president, a position he inherited after the death of his father, famous televangelist Jerry Falwell, in 2007—and notably where Cruz launched his presidential campaign. Trump, who has previously made stilted references to the Bible, notably referred to the biblical book 2 Corinthians as “Two Corinthians” in a speech—a jarring phrase, considering the book usually spoken aloud as “Second Corinthians.”
That gaffe didn’t seem to bother Falwell, who consistently praised Trump before formally endorsing him. He’s openly praised the billionaire former reality television star on Fox News, for instance, and Falwell’s Twitter account is a steady stream of Trump praise.
Falwell’s adoration goes so far that he’s posted a Google Drive link where someone—whether it’s Falwell himself is unclear—has awkwardly, manually filmed a video of former House Speaker Newt Gingrich also singing Trump’s praises on Fox News.
Neither Cruz nor Falwell immediately responded to requests for comment. Trump tweeted that it was a “great honor.”
Great honor- Rev. Jerry Falwell Jr. of Liberty University, one of the most respected religious leaders in our nation, has just endorsed me!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 26, 2016
A former senior politics reporter for the Daily Dot, Kevin Collier focuses on privacy, cybersecurity, and issues of importance to the open internet. Since leaving the Daily Dot in March 2016, he has served as a reporter for Vocativ and a cybersecurity correspondent for BuzzFeed.