- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Saturday 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Saturday 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Saturday 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Saturday 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Saturday 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chiefs in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:30 AM
- Chuck E. Cheese recycles pizza is the conspiracy theory that won’t die Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs Rams in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:00 AM
- Cómo ver el UFC 241: Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic Saturday 6:00 AM
Of all the ways 2018 is a world flipped upside down, this might be the most emblematic. Conservatives are ecstatic that the government fired an employee for expressing his private opinion outside of work.
FBI agent Peter Strzok has been a boogeyman to the far-right for years; he’s the guy who was at the center of a deep state conspiracy to keep President Donald Trump from ascending to the White House.
Today, the FBI let him go for sending anti-Trump texts to a fellow agent, including one that said “we’ll stop” Trump from ever becoming president. Strzok’s time at the FBI was likely numbered after the June release of an inspector general report that said he and others had a “willingness to take official action” to harm President Trump’s election prospects.
His firing sent conservative pundits and members of Congress into a tizzy.
Bout time https://t.co/sRJplLa1Af— Nick Short (@PoliticalShort) August 13, 2018
🚨FBI Fires Peter Strzok, Agent At Center Of Collision Probe, Months After His Anti-Trump Messages Were Revealed.— •*¨*•.¸¸☆*･🍃V🍃•*¨*•.¸¸☆*･ (@V_actually) August 13, 2018
Let the draining of the swamp commence.
Next up Bruce Ohr & Rod Rosenstein. pic.twitter.com/PuzDe62wCQ
Finally, belatedly Peter Strok gets the axe. I hope this is the beginning of a much larger cleanup at FBI and DOJ https://t.co/bD4p6pCi7q— Dinesh D'Souza (@DineshDSouza) August 13, 2018
Finally — FBI fires Peter Strzok, whose sent anti-Trump texts to his girlfriend Lisa Page on his government cell phone. Should have happened a long time ago!— Corey R. Lewandowski (@CLewandowski_) August 13, 2018
The firing of anti-Trump FBI agent Peter Strzok is welcome, if overdue. By exhibiting such rampant bias, Strzok did enormous damage to the FBI and to the country.— Ron DeSantis (@RepDeSantis) August 13, 2018
Trump also weighed in, saying that crossing someone off a list made the list longer?
Agent Peter Strzok was just fired from the FBI - finally. The list of bad players in the FBI & DOJ gets longer & longer. Based on the fact that Strzok was in charge of the Witch Hunt, will it be dropped? It is a total Hoax. No Collusion, No Obstruction - I just fight back!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 13, 2018
He also said because of the firing, the FBI should re-open its investigation into Hillary Clinton.
Just fired Agent Strzok, formerly of the FBI, was in charge of the Crooked Hillary Clinton sham investigation. It was a total fraud on the American public and should be properly redone!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 13, 2018
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]