- ‘Crip Camp’ shows how a radical summer camp was monumental to the disability rights movement Today 9:08 AM
- How to live stream the 2020 Grammy Awards Today 7:00 AM
- Technology created deepfakes—does it have a way to stop them, too? Today 6:30 AM
- SESTA-FOSTA is ‘detrimental’ to sex workers’ safety, study confirms Today 6:00 AM
- Jeff Bezos’ girlfriend allegedly sent his nudes to her brother, who then leaked them Saturday 6:38 PM
- This Instagram account catches influencers in the wild Saturday 5:42 PM
- The best upcoming video games to look out for in February 2020 Saturday 5:23 PM
- TikTok teens use AirPods and Google Translate to secretly talk in class Saturday 4:32 PM
- Video shows corpses of coronavirus victims lying in China hospital Saturday 3:44 PM
- Kid meets Slipknot after drumming video goes viral Saturday 2:30 PM
- Channing Tatum responds to troll who tried to compare Jenna Dewan and Jessie J’s looks Saturday 1:46 PM
- Grindr pulls an ‘I don’t know her’ after Eminem suggests he uses the app Saturday 12:48 PM
- Here are the top 10 most popular Instagram models in 2020 Saturday 12:21 PM
- ‘The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina’ takes its characters on a fantasy adventure to Hell in season 3 Saturday 11:37 AM
- Woman no longer in sorority, school after racist MLK post Saturday 10:45 AM
Of all the ways 2018 is a world flipped upside down, this might be the most emblematic. Conservatives are ecstatic that the government fired an employee for expressing his private opinion outside of work.
FBI agent Peter Strzok has been a boogeyman to the far-right for years; he’s the guy who was at the center of a deep state conspiracy to keep President Donald Trump from ascending to the White House.
Today, the FBI let him go for sending anti-Trump texts to a fellow agent, including one that said “we’ll stop” Trump from ever becoming president. Strzok’s time at the FBI was likely numbered after the June release of an inspector general report that said he and others had a “willingness to take official action” to harm President Trump’s election prospects.
His firing sent conservative pundits and members of Congress into a tizzy.
Bout time https://t.co/sRJplLa1Af— Nick Short (@PoliticalShort) August 13, 2018
🚨FBI Fires Peter Strzok, Agent At Center Of Collision Probe, Months After His Anti-Trump Messages Were Revealed.— •*¨*•.¸¸✯*･🍃Ꮙ🍃•*¨*•.¸¸✯*¨ (@V_actually) August 13, 2018
Let the draining of the swamp commence.
Next up Bruce Ohr & Rod Rosenstein. pic.twitter.com/PuzDe62wCQ
Finally, belatedly Peter Strok gets the axe. I hope this is the beginning of a much larger cleanup at FBI and DOJ https://t.co/bD4p6pCi7q— Dinesh D'Souza (@DineshDSouza) August 13, 2018
Finally — FBI fires Peter Strzok, whose sent anti-Trump texts to his girlfriend Lisa Page on his government cell phone. Should have happened a long time ago!— Corey R. Lewandowski (@CLewandowski_) August 13, 2018
The firing of anti-Trump FBI agent Peter Strzok is welcome, if overdue. By exhibiting such rampant bias, Strzok did enormous damage to the FBI and to the country.— Ron DeSantis (@RepDeSantis) August 13, 2018
Trump also weighed in, saying that crossing someone off a list made the list longer?
Agent Peter Strzok was just fired from the FBI - finally. The list of bad players in the FBI & DOJ gets longer & longer. Based on the fact that Strzok was in charge of the Witch Hunt, will it be dropped? It is a total Hoax. No Collusion, No Obstruction - I just fight back!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 13, 2018
He also said because of the firing, the FBI should re-open its investigation into Hillary Clinton.
Just fired Agent Strzok, formerly of the FBI, was in charge of the Crooked Hillary Clinton sham investigation. It was a total fraud on the American public and should be properly redone!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 13, 2018
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]