- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate player’s trans flag removed for being ‘political’ Monday 7:37 PM
- Does Donald Trump Jr. know what American soldiers do? Monday 7:17 PM
- Sophie Turner has a hot take on Arya’s ‘Game of Thrones’ sex scene Monday 6:50 PM
- Parked Tesla Model S bursts into flames in shocking video Monday 3:12 PM
- Fortnite is getting an Avengers Endgame event Monday 2:44 PM
- The living are facing the end of the world in the latest ‘Game of Thrones’ Monday 2:37 PM
- The best Korean beauty toners for your skincare routine Monday 2:33 PM
- Warren’s plan to cancel student debt stimulates the bad-take economy Monday 2:27 PM
- Video shows Easter Bunny punching man on sidewalk Monday 2:09 PM
- The 7 best lubes for when you wanna do butt stuff Monday 2:00 PM
- 11 best sex toys under $35 to blow your mind Monday 1:30 PM
- Twitch streamer inadvertently documents all the times she was sexually, verbally harassed on vacation Monday 1:12 PM
- Raptors coach Nick Nurse becomes a relatable meme Monday 1:12 PM
- Man wears bandage that blends in with his skin tone, and Twitter has all the feelings Monday 12:55 PM
- The 8 best Korean sunscreens to add to your bag Monday 12:15 PM
Donald Trump announces presidential run, calls Mexicans rapists
This was easily the best announcement speech so far.
Media mogul Donald Trump‘s announcement Tuesday that he is running for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination was a media spectacle unrivaled in modern American history. It all began with the world’s most incredible escalator ride.
Supporters flocked to Trump Tower in Manhattan to watch the announcement on TV screens in the lobby. Trump’s speech was heavy on self-flattery and insinuations—or outright assertions—that everyone besides him was a complete moron.
“Some of the candidates, they went in and didn’t know the air conditioner didn’t work and sweated like dogs, and they didn’t know the room was too big because they didn’t have anybody there,” Trump said, referring to participants in the 2012 Republican primary debates. “How are they going to beat ISIS?”
Trump is winging it. This is not embargoed speech I have.
— S.E. Cupp (@secupp) June 16, 2015
Trump also had some thoughts on Mexicans, who, he literally said aloud, were probably rapists.
“They’re rapists,” he told the crowd, “and some, I assume, are good people.”
Trump supporters outside the announcement event were more enthralled with Trump as the star of NBC‘s Celebrity Apprentice than as a serious politician.
During his kickoff speech, Trump declared that his net worth was just shy of $9 billion—$8,737,540,000, to be exact.
Photo via Gage Skidmore/Flickr (CC BY SA 2.0) | Remix by Fernando Alfonso III
Once named one of Forbes’ 20 Under 20 and hired as a staff writer for the Daily Dot when he was still a senior in high school, William Turton is a rising tech reporter focusing on information security, hacking culture, and politics. Since leaving the Daily Dot in April 2016, his work has appeared on Gizmodo, the Outline, and Vice News Tonight on HBO.