- AirTV is essential for Sling TV subscribers 1 Year Ago
- #ICEBae is reportedly a Democrat–and she has some things to get off her chest Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Fans are stoked that Taika Waititi is back to direct ‘Thor 4’ Tuesday 7:22 PM
- Sacha Baron Cohen thanks ‘co-stars’ Dick Cheney, Sarah Palin for making Emmy nominations possible Tuesday 6:43 PM
- Roger Stone barred from posting on all social media platforms Tuesday 6:03 PM
- The FaceApp challenge shows you how gracefully you’ll age Tuesday 5:16 PM
- Kylie Jenner opens up about her mental health in candid Instagram post Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Fans speculate wildly about Naomi Watts’ ‘Game of Thrones’ prequel role after leaked set photo Tuesday 3:54 PM
- New Jersey congressman joins House Democrats ‘Squad’ because of an Onion article Tuesday 3:09 PM
- Twitter begins rolling out new desktop redesign, and users aren’t happy Tuesday 1:54 PM
- Man asks his girlfriend to ‘unlove’ her ex—and people do not agree with him Tuesday 1:37 PM
- Relive a forgotten gem with the TurboGrafx-16 Mini console Tuesday 1:09 PM
- Judge says Daily Stormer founder must pay $14 million for harassing Jewish realtor Tuesday 1:01 PM
- Graphic depiction of suicide cut from Netflix’s ’13 Reasons Why’ Tuesday 12:55 PM
- Streaming titles seize 2019 Emmy nominations Tuesday 12:19 PM
Fibonacci Blue/Flickr (CC-BY)
NRA supporters are livid.
Perhaps the biggest news came Saturday morning when Delta said it would end the discount that the airline had given to NRA members.
Delta is reaching out to the NRA to let them know we will be ending their contract for discounted rates through our group travel program. We will be requesting that the NRA remove our information from their website.— Delta (@Delta) February 24, 2018
Delta follows the lead of other big companies who have cut ties to the controversial nonprofit organization.
We have notified the NRA that we are ending the NRA’s rental car discount program with Hertz.— Hertz (@Hertz) February 23, 2018
We value all our customers but have decided to end our discount program with the NRA.— MetLife (@MetLife) February 23, 2018
Thank you for contacting us! All three of our brands ended the discount for NRA members. This change will be effective March 26. Thank you again for reaching out. Kind regards, Michael— EnterpriseRentACar (@enterprisecares) February 23, 2018
Customer feedback has caused us to review our relationship with the NRA. As a result, First National Bank of Omaha will not renew its contract with the National Rifle Association to issue the NRA Visa Card.— First National Bank (@FNBOmaha) February 22, 2018
Wyndham hotels also made it clear where it stands.
After 17 people were massacred in the Parkland, Florida, the NRA has been aggressive in its responses. In a speech this week to CPAC, NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre said Democrats wanted to get rid of the Second Amendment and said, “If they seize power… our American freedoms could be lost and our country will be changed forever.”
He also said the “breathless national media” was “eager to smear the NRA in the midst of genuine grief,” and spokesperson Dana Loesch said the media loves mass shootings, claiming, “You guys love it. I’m not saying you love the tragedy. But I am saying that you love the ratings. Crying white mothers are ratings gold.”
Unsurprisingly, NRA supporters were dismayed by the companies’ decisions.
School shootings will not stop because delta pulled their discount from NRA, this is the stupidity of liberals and why the problem will continue, address the real problem that is created in Hollywood and violent video games used as babysitters by lazy parents— deplorable me (@allaboutme4545) February 24, 2018
Did you end your discount for Planned Parenthood?— Stuart Henning (@badgerfan82) February 24, 2018
You just made sure 5 + million people will NEVER us your cars. But carry on with your political stupidity.— Steph (@steph93065) February 23, 2018
Thank you for letting us know, I cancelled every rental car arrangement/contract I have and my business has with you. I will use another company. Thanks for being up front. A boycott works both ways.— Brent (@BrentNH) February 23, 2018
Update 11:21am CT: On Saturday morning, United also made the decision to cut ties with the NRA.
United is notifying the NRA that we will no longer offer a discounted rate to their annual meeting and we are asking that the NRA remove our information from their website.— United Airlines (@united) February 24, 2018
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.