- Adam Driver returns to ‘SNL’ as Kylo Ren to reprise role in ‘Undercover Boss’ parody 2 Weeks Ago
- White men are raging over ‘SNL’s’ white male rage skit 2 Weeks Ago
- Kobe Bryant dead at 41 Today 2:24 PM
- Pete Buttigieg mocked over ‘staged’ walking photo Today 12:22 PM
- Louise Linton deletes pro-Greta Thunberg Instagram post Today 10:58 AM
- ‘Crip Camp’ shows how a radical summer camp was monumental to the disability rights movement Today 9:08 AM
- How to live stream the 2020 Grammy Awards Today 7:00 AM
- Technology created deepfakes—does it have a way to stop them, too? Today 6:30 AM
- SESTA-FOSTA is ‘detrimental’ to sex workers’ safety, study confirms Today 6:00 AM
- Jeff Bezos’ girlfriend allegedly sent his nudes to her brother, who then leaked them Saturday 6:38 PM
- This Instagram account catches influencers in the wild Saturday 5:42 PM
- The best upcoming video games to look out for in February 2020 Saturday 5:23 PM
- TikTok teens use AirPods and Google Translate to secretly talk in class Saturday 4:32 PM
- Video shows corpses of coronavirus victims lying in China hospital Saturday 3:44 PM
- Kid meets Slipknot after drumming video goes viral Saturday 2:30 PM
Buttigieg’s ‘The J stood for joint’ remark unites stoners online
Despite discussing the Iran nuclear deal, the internet heard something much different.
Presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg inadvertently united stoners online Tuesday evening following an interesting comment during the Democratic debate.
While discussing the Iran nuclear deal, known formally as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), Buttigieg referenced the importance of the letter “J” and the need for cooperation among nations.
“That first letter ‘J’ stood for joint,” Buttigieg said. “We can’t do this alone.”
But the internet was much more interested in a different kind of joint and couldn’t help but take the comment out of context.
“Pete: the letter “j” stands for joint… you know what I mean kids… if Iran is going to nuke us.. might as well smoke em if you got em,” user @MaineSocialist tweeted.
Pete: the letter “j” stands for joint... you know what I mean kids... if Iran is going to nuke us.. might as well smoke em if you got em— Rep. Mike🌹 (@MaineSocialist) January 15, 2020
Other Twitter users noted how useful joints can be when sitting through an absurdly long presidential debate.
“The first letter, “J”, stands for joint, which is what we need to be smoking to get through this debate,” user @Evansbee added.
The first letter, “J”, stands for joint, which is what we need to be smoking to get through this debate.— e (@Evansbee) January 15, 2020
While Buttigieg, unfortunately, wasn’t referring to the sticky icky, the candidate admits to both smoking and even inhaling on numerous occasions.
The former mayor states on his campaign website that he not only supports marijuana legalization but the elimination of incarceration for drug possession altogether.
I think the takeaway here is clear: We all need to light one up instead of going to war with Iran.
Mikael Thalen is a tech and security reporter based in Seattle, covering social media, data breaches, hackers, and more.