- Senator calls Facebook’s current election disinformation efforts ‘inadequate’ in letter 4 Months Ago
- The Phillie Phanatic mascot unveils a slimmer makeover 4 Months Ago
- YouTuber threatened with arrest after rapping about being a girl from Mecca 4 Months Ago
- Video shows flat-Earther ‘daredevil’ crashing to death after homemade rocket fails 4 Months Ago
- Cardi B defends Dwyane Wade’s daughter during Instagram Live 4 Months Ago
- YouTube briefly shuts down beloved ‘lofi hip hop radio’ channel, launching a new meme Today 11:42 AM
- Neil deGrasse Tyson points out that Elsa from ‘Frozen’ has ‘horse-sized eyeballs’ Today 10:58 AM
- Republicans as Sanders rises: Watch out, we may vote for Trump Today 10:54 AM
- Amazon series ‘Hunters’ criticized by Auschwitz Memorial over fictionalized scene Today 10:45 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Gentefied’ is actually made for people of color Today 9:28 AM
- Drug dealer loses $60 million after misplacing his Bitcoin code Today 9:18 AM
- TSA bans employees from using TikTok Today 9:09 AM
- PewDiePie rips Jake Paul, calls his money-making venture ‘complete bullsh*t’ Today 9:05 AM
- Can a lawsuit in Illinois stop a dangerous new facial recognition app? Today 6:30 AM
- Fan uncovers ‘Westworld’ trailers hidden on fictional company’s website Sunday 8:18 PM
Sanders seemed to tease the endorsement during last night’s 2020 Democratic debate, hinting that a “special guest” would join him at a rally in Queens, N.Y., this weekend.
“We’re going to have a special guest at that event,” Sanders said during the debate.
The news Ocasio-Cortez—who surged into the national spotlight after upsetting former Rep. Joe Crowley in a primary ahead of the 2018 midterm elections—would endorse Sanders was first reported by the Washington Post.
Corbin Trent, a spokesperson for the New York lawmaker, told the Post that they were “looking forward to Saturday.”
Other members of the “Squad” are also backing Sanders and his presidential bid.
Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) announced her endorsement in a video posted on Wednesday morning.
“Bernie supports guaranteeing healthcare for all, creating a humane immigration system that doesn’t treat immigrants like criminals, and ending forever wars. He is fighting for the America we deserve — one that collectively works toward a brighter future for every one of us,” Omar wrote in a series of tweets on Wednesday. “For all these reasons and more, I have no doubt that @BernieSanders is the best candidate to take on Donald Trump in 2020. Let’s get him elected!”
.@BernieSanders isn’t fighting to win just one presidential election -- he’s fighting for the soul of our democracy.— Ilhan Omar (@IlhanMN) October 16, 2019
Here’s more on why I’m so proud to give Bernie my endorsement for president of the United States: pic.twitter.com/1NLMPnzS1x
Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) is also expected to endorse Sanders, according to CNN.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).