- Discord allegedly used to lure teenager boy to Florida trailer housing sex slave Tuesday 7:36 PM
- Millie Bobby Brown has the wrong take on ‘You’ Tuesday 6:42 PM
- Why is Tony Stark missing from the ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ trailer? Tuesday 6:00 PM
- The creepy texts this woman received are eerily similar to Netflix’s ‘You’ Tuesday 4:20 PM
- Roku defends decision to host InfoWars amid online backlash (updated) Tuesday 4:04 PM
- Pump yourself up for ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8 with this masterfully edited hype video Tuesday 2:35 PM
- NBC asked reporters not to call Steve King’s comments ‘racist’ Tuesday 2:21 PM
- Disney files copyright claim on YouTuber’s Darth Vader film—and the creator is devastated Tuesday 2:18 PM
- The ’10 Year Challenge’ isn’t as fun for trans people Tuesday 1:25 PM
- New Nike shoes can be controlled from your smartphone Tuesday 1:06 PM
- Cardi B. jumps on 10-year challenge with high school performance of Lady Gaga song Tuesday 12:28 PM
- Parents, teachers cry foul over Verizon fee hike for popular education app Tuesday 11:57 AM
- Conservative men are kicking and screaming about Gillette’s new toxic masculinity ad Tuesday 11:23 AM
- Mysterio is hot now in the ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ trailer Tuesday 10:53 AM
- Netflix hikes prices on all subscription plans Tuesday 10:48 AM
These male politicians don’t quite have Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s dance moves
A video started making rounds on conservative Twitter accounts of a college-age Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) dancing. The video was intended to shame the new Congresswoman but has since backfired.
The video of Ocasio-Cortez dancing with her friends has received over 5 million views, tons of support, and even some unearthed videos of other political figures.
Unfortunately, their dancing videos are not quite as cute and carefree as Rep. Ocasio-Cortez’s.
Like this one of former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, breaking it down.
Since we’re all talking about politicians dancing, here’s a reminder that this happenedpic.twitter.com/el68mzIuvb
— Jerry Dunleavy (@JerryDunleavy) January 4, 2019
Or maybe this one of Rick Perry, the Energy Secretary and former GOP presidential candidate, when he was on the TV show Dancing with the Stars.
Rick Perry dancing. pic.twitter.com/qlp6P2fTTi
— Oliver Griswold (@originalgriz) January 3, 2019
Turns out people have been dancing for years! Even before Ocasio-Cortez was filmed dancing as a Boston College student, former President George W. Bush did a jig himself.
Dear Republicans —
Danced As A Kid In High School
Prior To Being Elected As
A Beloved Member of Congress –
George Bush Was Happily
Dancing, As POTUS,
While Visiting Africa.
— Wisdom Rocks (@GetWisdomDude) January 4, 2019
Even our current president has danced before. In a 2015 SNL spoof, President Donald Trump busted a move.
Here is a video of Trump dancing. WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE!!???!! pic.twitter.com/HmLtnoLcTr
— Mark McHamill (@FakeFan50) January 4, 2019
The reaction to Ocasio-Cortez didn’t seem to bother to the 28-year-old Congresswoman a bit. She even shared a more recent video of her dancing right into her new office.
I hear the GOP thinks women dancing are scandalous.
Wait till they find out Congresswomen dance too! 💃🏽
Have a great weekend everyone 🙂 pic.twitter.com/9y6ALOw4F6
— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) January 4, 2019
Perhaps this is the start of a new trend of politicians getting their groove on; it’s a long road to 2020, after all.
Elizabeth VanMetre is a reporter based in Wyoming. She is a graduate of Columbia Journalism School, and her work has appeared on ETOnline, the New York Daily News, Yahoo Travel, and more. She hosts a local morning show in Wyoming.