- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ unmasks the time-traveling Red Angel Thursday 8:30 PM
- Everyone is making memes of Meghan McCain saying ‘my father’ on loop Thursday 8:11 PM
- Irony of Georgia’s sperm-reporting bill flies by anti-abortion advocates Thursday 7:11 PM
- Sex scandals are consuming the K-pop industry Thursday 5:44 PM
- Trump supporters are abandoning Fox News over network’s latest hire Thursday 5:20 PM
- QAnon is attacking a random woman in a disturbing and dangerous way Thursday 4:59 PM
- Google celebrates Bach with AI-powered, music-making doodle Thursday 4:53 PM
- RIP: The best free trial in all of streaming entertainment Thursday 2:19 PM
- Which ‘Florida Man’ are you? Thursday 1:06 PM
- Hundreds of millions of Facebook passwords were accessible to employees Thursday 12:55 PM
- ‘Bitch I’m Bella Thorne’ morphs into TikTok dyslexia meme Thursday 12:17 PM
- Marvel is auctioning props and costumes from Netflix’s ‘Defenders’ franchise Thursday 12:12 PM
- Net neutrality advocates plan online watch party for the ‘Save the Internet’ Act Thursday 12:01 PM
- Tim Cook turns his iPad meme into an AirPod meme Thursday 11:46 AM
- Auschwitz Memorial asks visitors to stop taking playful photos at Holocaust site Thursday 11:33 AM
These male politicians don’t quite have Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s dance moves
A video started making rounds on conservative Twitter accounts of a college-age Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) dancing. The video was intended to shame the new Congresswoman but has since backfired.
The video of Ocasio-Cortez dancing with her friends has received over 5 million views, tons of support, and even some unearthed videos of other political figures.
Unfortunately, their dancing videos are not quite as cute and carefree as Rep. Ocasio-Cortez’s.
Like this one of former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, breaking it down.
Since we’re all talking about politicians dancing, here’s a reminder that this happenedpic.twitter.com/el68mzIuvb
— Jerry Dunleavy (@JerryDunleavy) January 4, 2019
Or maybe this one of Rick Perry, the Energy Secretary and former GOP presidential candidate, when he was on the TV show Dancing with the Stars.
Rick Perry dancing. pic.twitter.com/qlp6P2fTTi
— Oliver Griswold (@originalgriz) January 3, 2019
Turns out people have been dancing for years! Even before Ocasio-Cortez was filmed dancing as a Boston College student, former President George W. Bush did a jig himself.
Dear Republicans —
Danced As A Kid In High School
Prior To Being Elected As
A Beloved Member of Congress –
George Bush Was Happily
Dancing, As POTUS,
While Visiting Africa.
— Wisdom Rocks (@GetWisdomDude) January 4, 2019
Even our current president has danced before. In a 2015 SNL spoof, President Donald Trump busted a move.
Here is a video of Trump dancing. WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE!!???!! pic.twitter.com/HmLtnoLcTr
— Mark McHamill (@FakeFan50) January 4, 2019
The reaction to Ocasio-Cortez didn’t seem to bother to the 28-year-old Congresswoman a bit. She even shared a more recent video of her dancing right into her new office.
I hear the GOP thinks women dancing are scandalous.
Wait till they find out Congresswomen dance too! 💃🏽
Have a great weekend everyone 🙂 pic.twitter.com/9y6ALOw4F6
— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) January 4, 2019
Perhaps this is the start of a new trend of politicians getting their groove on; it’s a long road to 2020, after all.
Elizabeth VanMetre is a reporter based in Wyoming. She is a graduate of Columbia Journalism School, and her work has appeared on ETOnline, the New York Daily News, Yahoo Travel, and more. She hosts a local morning show in Wyoming.