- The internet just collectively realized that the Neopets of the world must be hungry 5 Months Ago
- Alt-right message board 8chan was served a search warrant Today 3:06 PM
- O.J. Simpson just joined Twitter in the most bizarre fashion Today 1:20 PM
- Prominent phone-hacking firm says it can unlock any iPhone for law enforcement Today 12:39 PM
- Hundreds of police officers belong to extremist Facebook groups, investigation finds Today 9:31 AM
- How to watch Tyson Fury vs. Tom Schwarz online Today 8:00 AM
- ‘Late Night’ is a disappointing, tepid comedy Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Love It or List It’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup online for free Today 6:55 AM
- Borderlands 3 preview suggests the aging series can still hang with the cool kids Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream the 2019 College World Series for free Today 6:00 AM
- Police try to solve domestic violence by giving victims blunt kitchen knives Friday 5:40 PM
- Privacy activist Ola Bini detained for 2 months in Ecuador without charges Friday 5:01 PM
- Twitter says suspending ‘God’ for a pro-LGBTQ tweet was an ‘error’ Friday 4:14 PM
- ‘You were at my wedding Denise’ stirs controversy again with ‘lubed legs’ tweet Friday 3:31 PM
These male politicians don’t quite have Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s dance moves
A video started making rounds on conservative Twitter accounts of a college-age Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) dancing. The video was intended to shame the new Congresswoman but has since backfired.
The video of Ocasio-Cortez dancing with her friends has received over 5 million views, tons of support, and even some unearthed videos of other political figures.
Unfortunately, their dancing videos are not quite as cute and carefree as Rep. Ocasio-Cortez’s.
Like this one of former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, breaking it down.
Since we’re all talking about politicians dancing, here’s a reminder that this happenedpic.twitter.com/el68mzIuvb
— Jerry Dunleavy (@JerryDunleavy) January 4, 2019
Or maybe this one of Rick Perry, the Energy Secretary and former GOP presidential candidate, when he was on the TV show Dancing with the Stars.
Rick Perry dancing. pic.twitter.com/qlp6P2fTTi
— Oliver Griswold (@originalgriz) January 3, 2019
Turns out people have been dancing for years! Even before Ocasio-Cortez was filmed dancing as a Boston College student, former President George W. Bush did a jig himself.
Dear Republicans —
Danced As A Kid In High School
Prior To Being Elected As
A Beloved Member of Congress –
George Bush Was Happily
Dancing, As POTUS,
While Visiting Africa.
— Wisdom Rocks (@GetWisdomDude) January 4, 2019
Even our current president has danced before. In a 2015 SNL spoof, President Donald Trump busted a move.
Here is a video of Trump dancing. WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE!!???!! pic.twitter.com/HmLtnoLcTr
— Mark McHamill (@FakeFan50) January 4, 2019
The reaction to Ocasio-Cortez didn’t seem to bother to the 28-year-old Congresswoman a bit. She even shared a more recent video of her dancing right into her new office.
I hear the GOP thinks women dancing are scandalous.
Wait till they find out Congresswomen dance too! 💃🏽
Have a great weekend everyone 🙂 pic.twitter.com/9y6ALOw4F6
— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) January 4, 2019
Perhaps this is the start of a new trend of politicians getting their groove on; it’s a long road to 2020, after all.
Elizabeth VanMetre is a reporter based in Wyoming. She is a graduate of Columbia Journalism School, and her work has appeared on ETOnline, the New York Daily News, Yahoo Travel, and more. She hosts a local morning show in Wyoming.