- Apex Legends became a major Pornhub search in 2019 2 Weeks Ago
- CBS accidentally interviewed InfoWars host as regular Trump supporter Today 4:31 PM
- TLC accused of fatphobia, fetishization with show about ‘mixed-weight’ couples Today 3:41 PM
- Betting odds show KSI could fight FaZe Sensei, Jake Paul, or Justin Bieber next Today 3:20 PM
- Nick Cannon releases another thirsty Eminem diss track Today 2:59 PM
- Dogs at polling stations are helping bark out the vote in the U.K. Today 1:00 PM
- Streamers dominated Pornhub searches in 2019 Today 12:59 PM
- Pro and anti-boot factions emerge in wake of ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ trailer Today 12:31 PM
- The ‘Rise of Skywalker’ press tour has turned into a rehash of ‘The Last Jedi’ Today 12:18 PM
- What’s in a TikTok username? Today 12:00 PM
- All four of 2020’s Marvel/DC movies are directed by women Today 11:57 AM
- Jeremy Corbyn Rickrolls everyone ahead of British election Today 10:18 AM
- Trisha Paytas denies accidentally exposing herself on TikTok Today 10:04 AM
- Report: Barr wants tech antitrust probe wrapped up in 2020 Today 9:59 AM
- ‘Zybourne Clock’ original art is selling for over $4,000 on eBay Today 9:11 AM
President Donald Trump and the White House can’t seem to agree on whether the dog involved in al-Baghdadi raid is a very good girl or a very good boy.
Conan the dog took part in the mission that resulted in ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi’s death in October. The confusion began on Monday when Trump awarded Conan. Trump, along with Vice President Mike Pence, referred to Conan with male pronouns.
A reporter then said a White House official confirmed “on background” that Conan is actually female, according to Slate. Later on, according to a White House official, it was declared that Conan is a male.
Very important correction to my earlier poll reports. Conan The Dog is a very good girl. pic.twitter.com/jWv82ox0MJ— Hunter Walker (@hunterw) November 25, 2019
On Tuesday, the Department of Defense (DoD) got involved to seemingly set the record straight: Conan is a female.
Just in: #Conan, the hero dog from the al-Baghdadi raid, is in fact a GIRL, a US defense official tells ABC News. Yesterday, a WH official told the pool that Conan was a girl but later said the dog was actually a boy -- after POTUS & VPOTUS used male pronouns to refer to Conan.— Elizabeth McLaughlin (@Elizabeth_McLau) November 26, 2019
“Conan, the hero dog, dilemma: Monday: Trump says male WH then says Conan is a female WH then corrects to say Conan is a male Today: DoD says female Then, WH stands by story that Conan is male. Then, DoD says male, after *triple checking*,” Twitter user @KFaulders wrote.
Conan, the hero dog, dilemma:— Katherine Faulders (@KFaulders) November 26, 2019
Trump says male
WH then says Conan is a female
WH then corrects to say Conan is a male
DoD says female
Then, WH stands by story that Conan is male.
Then, DoD says male, after *triple checking*
Then, another DoD official said that “for sure Conan the hero dog is a male based on multiple internal checks,” according to ABC reporter Luis Martinez.
UPDATE to the Conan gender: Another US defense official now says that for sure Conan the hero dog is a male based on multiple internal checks.— luis martinez (@LMartinezABC) November 26, 2019
The dog’s gender has not changed from male since mid-Tuesday.
People used the photo Trump tweeted of Conan in October to speculate about the dog’s gender, with most accusing Trump, along with White House and DoD officials, of lying about Conan’s “confirmed” gender.
We have declassified a picture of the wonderful dog (name not declassified) that did such a GREAT JOB in capturing and killing the Leader of ISIS, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi! pic.twitter.com/PDMx9nZWvw— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 28, 2019
“Gender reveal: girl dog #ConanTheDog #Conan #dogs Just because Trump called it a boy, you can’t rewrite biology,” Twitter user @LauraK9doc wrote, along with the photo of Conan marked with a circle around the dog’s crotch.
No not really. It’s important that “defense officials” are lying to @abcnews. That matters.— Louise Mensch (@LouiseMensch) November 26, 2019
Factually, Conan is a girl. The press should FOIA this and stop Trump playing games. pic.twitter.com/Yr7cHiHJwz
My dog = Boy— Robert Merrill (@merrillrobert) November 26, 2019
Conan = Girl
Dumbest White House ever... pic.twitter.com/xU3toUafO1
Libby Cohen is a third-year University of Texas student originally from New Jersey. She has written for ORANGE Magazine, the Daily Texan, and most recently interned for 1010 WINS in NYC. She's now back in Austin writing for the Texas Standard and the Daily Dot.