- ICE cuts the cord on real immigrant hotline after being featured in ‘Orange Is the New Black’ 1 Month Ago
- The 10 best music podcasts for artist interviews and criticism in 2019 1 Month Ago
- How a socialist Twitch streamer landed in a feud with Dan Crenshaw Today 10:07 AM
- How to prepare for your fantasy football draft (and season) Today 9:00 AM
- Kit Harington is joining the MCU–and people are guessing which character he will play Today 8:48 AM
- How to live stream Juan Francisco Estrada vs. Dewayne Beamon Today 8:00 AM
- The 5 best free torrent clients you can download in 2019 Today 8:00 AM
- How to stream Saints vs. Jets in NFL preseason action Today 7:49 AM
- How to stream Chiefs vs. 49ers in NFL preseason action Today 7:36 AM
- How to live stream Bellator 225: Mitrione vs. Kharitonov Today 7:30 AM
- Alice Wetterlund draws insight from the last decade in ‘My Mama Is a Human and So Am I’ Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream the Cowboys vs. Texans NFL preseason showdown Today 7:00 AM
- How ‘Stranger Things’ is inspiring new waves of Dungeons and Dragons fans Today 6:00 AM
- Why you should be watching ‘Red vs Blue’ on Netflix Today 6:00 AM
- How to live stream Sergey Kovalev vs. Anthony Yarde Today 5:00 AM
Scarcely 24 hours have passed since the world caught its first glimpse of the much-anticipated movie adaptation of Cats. Yet already it’s safe to say that 2019 has been utterly redeemed by one of the longest-running Broadway shows leaping onto the silver screen.
With little fanfare, the first movie trailer for Cats dropped yesterday. In it, Jennifer Hudson sings “Memory,” the show’s best-known track and longtime staple of piano recitals the world over. That is intertwined with clips of she and her clowder of co-stars—Francesca Heyward, Dame Judi Dench, Idris Elba, Taylor Swift (!), and Rebel Wilson (!!)—frolicking about a larger-than-life world in stunning feline form.
Stewie just saw the “Cats” trailer. pic.twitter.com/vNuYqa1TLl— Seth MacFarlane (@SethMacFarlane) July 19, 2019
Ten minutes until I force Troy Baker, Nolan North, and Alanah Pearce to listen to me sing the entirety of Cats! pic.twitter.com/czdBwYXWuT— Simone de Rochefort @ SDCC (@doomquasar) July 19, 2019
This is the part that 100% broke me during yesterday's frame-by-frame stream of the CATS trailer pic.twitter.com/jlRYnwHGQw— jacksfilms (@jacksfilms) July 19, 2019
Just watched the Cats movie trailer and now I have immediate anxiety and am scared and questioning reality. Also shit into a litter box.— Nick Swardson (@NickSwardson) July 19, 2019
Naturally, the Daily Dot contacted Democratic presidential candidates to ask about their reaction to the Cats trailer, and if they planned to see the movie.
Not a single one responded.
Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) had time to tweet about her “cooking goals.” But she didn’t have time to talk about Cats.
Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) was willing to spin some yarn at the AARP Advocate presidential forum, but not to dish on whether her Christmas plans include a clandestine midnight watching of the most anticipated musical of the year.
As the youngest presidential candidate, we were confident that South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg would be eager to share his opinion of the movie that is giving Dench a second chance at Cats’ glory. Dench explains in the behind-the-scenes video that she was cast in the play in 1981 but snapped her Achilles tendon just before opening night.
Alas, in his thirst for Insta likes, instead of telling us if he was going to watch it at the South Bend AMC or drive to Mishawaka to catch it at the Cinemark, Mayor Pete shook some old man’s hand while Old Glory waved in the not-at-all strategic background. (Is that flag even real?!)
Also suspiciously silent were former Vice President Joe Biden, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, Washington Governor Jay Inslee, Sen. Cory “I’m still here” Booker (D-N.J.), former HUD Secretary Julián Castro, and, much to our surprise, author Marianne Williamson. Perhaps there’s only room for one movie obsession in her life.
So what exactly are these candidates hiding about their feelings for Cats?
- The new ‘Cats’ trailer is here to make you want to claw your eyes out
- The cast list for the ‘Kingsman’ prequel movie looks totally nuts
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ deleted scene leaks online
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Claire Goforth is a Jacksonville, Florida-based journalist covering politics, culture, justice, and unicorns. Her work has appeared in publications ranging from regional alt-weeklies to Al Jazeera.