- Adam Driver returns to ‘SNL’ as Kylo Ren to reprise role in ‘Undercover Boss’ parody 2 Weeks Ago
- White men are raging over ‘SNL’s’ white male rage skit Today 3:05 PM
- Kobe Bryant dead at 41 Today 2:24 PM
- Pete Buttigieg mocked over ‘staged’ walking photo Today 12:22 PM
- Louise Linton deletes pro-Greta Thunberg Instagram post Today 10:58 AM
- ‘Crip Camp’ shows how a radical summer camp was monumental to the disability rights movement Today 9:08 AM
- How to live stream the 2020 Grammy Awards Today 7:00 AM
- Technology created deepfakes—does it have a way to stop them, too? Today 6:30 AM
- SESTA-FOSTA is ‘detrimental’ to sex workers’ safety, study confirms Today 6:00 AM
- Jeff Bezos’ girlfriend allegedly sent his nudes to her brother, who then leaked them Saturday 6:38 PM
- This Instagram account catches influencers in the wild Saturday 5:42 PM
- The best upcoming video games to look out for in February 2020 Saturday 5:23 PM
- TikTok teens use AirPods and Google Translate to secretly talk in class Saturday 4:32 PM
- Video shows corpses of coronavirus victims lying in China hospital Saturday 3:44 PM
- Kid meets Slipknot after drumming video goes viral Saturday 2:30 PM
It’s already been a wild week for the beauty sphere of YouTube—and it’s only Monday.
Following the breakup of brand mogul Jeffree Star and Nathan Schwandt, Dutch beauty YouTuber NikkieTutorials, known for creating the “power of makeup” video tag, said in a video titled “I’m Coming Out” that she was reportedly blackmailed into coming out as transgender.
In the video, the Dutch makeup artist tells her subscribers about growing up as a transgender woman in the Netherlands, where she said she received support from family, friends, and teachers.
While the YouTuber said she always wanted to share this side of herself with her fans, she could never figure out the timing. Her hand was forced, she said, by people threatening to leak to the media the fact that she’s transgender.
“I am NikkieTutorials, and I am Nikkie,” she said. “I am me. We don’t need labels. If we are going to put a label on it, yes, I am transgender. But at the end of the day, I am me.”
Since beginning her channel in 2008, Nikkie “NikkieTutorials” de Jager has amassed more than 12.6 million subscribers. Fans of the YouTuber were quick to offer support and to condemn the blackmailing.
“This is incredibly empowering and I’m so glad Nikkie found a way to reclaim her story and tell it on her terms,” Twitter user @intovertsdan wrote. “But to the people who were threatening to out her: you are disgusting individuals without any shred of human decency and I hope karma gets your ass.”
This is incredibly empowering and I’m so glad Nikkie found a way to reclaim her story and tell it on her terms. ❤️— mia (@introvertsdan) January 13, 2020
But to the people who were threatening to out her: you are disgusting individuals without any shred of human decency and I hope karma gets your ass. pic.twitter.com/BBUbIxUYnd
Brooke Sjoberg is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot studying journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. She is also the Daily Texan's Life and Arts Editor and an editorial intern for Texas Connect magazine.