- This woman said Hillary Clinton losing the 2016 election gave her PTSD, and people are furious Monday 6:45 PM
- Vanessa Bryant files a lawsuit against helicopter company after deaths of Kobe and Gianna Monday 5:49 PM
- Michael Jordan cries at Kobe Bryant memorial, jokes about creating a new meme Monday 4:43 PM
- Woman’s boyfriend says it’s him or the frogs—Reddit says choose the frogs Monday 4:22 PM
- Greyhound buses will no longer allow Border Patrol checks Monday 4:04 PM
- ‘Eat Them To Defeat Them’ is oddly about vegetables—not about eating the rich Monday 3:26 PM
- Marco Rubio mocked for filming talking while driving socialism critique Monday 2:54 PM
- QAnon believer asks Trump’s campaign press secretary who Q is Monday 2:36 PM
- Octavia Spencer has discovered ‘Ma’ memes—and she can’t get enough Monday 2:09 PM
- Meet the anti-Greta Thunberg, a climate ‘skeptic’ funded by the oil industry Monday 1:12 PM
- Harvey Weinstein convicted of rape and sexual assault Monday 12:56 PM
- Senator calls Facebook’s current election disinformation efforts ‘inadequate’ in letter Monday 12:11 PM
- The Phillie Phanatic mascot unveils a slimmer makeover Monday 11:56 AM
- YouTuber threatened with arrest after rapping about being a girl from Mecca Monday 11:55 AM
- Video shows flat-Earther ‘daredevil’ crashing to death after homemade rocket fails Monday 11:49 AM
It’s already been a wild week for the beauty sphere of YouTube—and it’s only Monday.
Following the breakup of brand mogul Jeffree Star and Nathan Schwandt, Dutch beauty YouTuber NikkieTutorials, known for creating the “power of makeup” video tag, said in a video titled “I’m Coming Out” that she was reportedly blackmailed into coming out as transgender.
In the video, the Dutch makeup artist tells her subscribers about growing up as a transgender woman in the Netherlands, where she said she received support from family, friends, and teachers.
While the YouTuber said she always wanted to share this side of herself with her fans, she could never figure out the timing. Her hand was forced, she said, by people threatening to leak to the media the fact that she’s transgender.
“I am NikkieTutorials, and I am Nikkie,” she said. “I am me. We don’t need labels. If we are going to put a label on it, yes, I am transgender. But at the end of the day, I am me.”
Since beginning her channel in 2008, Nikkie “NikkieTutorials” de Jager has amassed more than 12.6 million subscribers. Fans of the YouTuber were quick to offer support and to condemn the blackmailing.
“This is incredibly empowering and I’m so glad Nikkie found a way to reclaim her story and tell it on her terms,” Twitter user @intovertsdan wrote. “But to the people who were threatening to out her: you are disgusting individuals without any shred of human decency and I hope karma gets your ass.”
This is incredibly empowering and I’m so glad Nikkie found a way to reclaim her story and tell it on her terms. ❤️— mia (@introvertsdan) January 13, 2020
But to the people who were threatening to out her: you are disgusting individuals without any shred of human decency and I hope karma gets your ass. pic.twitter.com/BBUbIxUYnd
Brooke Sjoberg is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot studying journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. She is also the Daily Texan's Life and Arts Editor and an editorial intern for Texas Connect magazine.