An N95 respirator mask

michael_swan/Flickr (CC-BY-ND)

Man called coronavirus fake news on Facebook—he expressed regret shortly before dying from it

He urged his followers to ignore social distancing recommendations.


Mikael Thalen


Posted on May 16, 2020   Updated on May 16, 2020, 1:52 pm CDT

An Egyptian man who downplayed the coronavirus pandemic has died after becoming infected with the contagious disease.

The Daily Dot is committed to filtering the noise every day as COVID-19 seizes the internet’s attention worldwide. We bring you stories on everything related to the viral pandemic, from the state response to social media fallout, and all the technical flubsemerging social trends, and disinformation in between. READ MORE ->

Mohamed Wahdan, a 29-year-old who worked in the tourism industry, alleged on Facebook that the pandemic was fake news crafted by the U.S. in an effort to disrupt China’s economy.

Wahdan, who lived north of Cairo with his wife and daughter, also called on his followers in a March 16 post to ignore social distancing recommendations, according to Arab News.

Not long after the posts, in which he also condemned the decision to close local gyms, Wahdan began experiencing symptoms consistent with the coronavirus.

Upon arriving at a nearby hospital, Wahdan tested positive COVID-19 and had even unknowingly spread the disease to his brother and father.

As his health deteriorated, Wahdan made the decision to inform his Facebook followers that he had been wrong about the pandemic.

“I was told to stay at home and not to go out, but I didn’t take such warnings seriously as I was pursuing a false life,” he said. “Please do not take the virus lightly because it is a fatal disease that destroys every part of your body.”

Wahdan went on to express regret that his actions had also endangered the lives of his close relatives.

“Unfortunately, my siblings contracted the virus from me,” he added. “Stay in your homes because this is a lethal disease. Please kindly pray for me from your hearts that I be cured soon of the virus. God bless you all.”

But Wahdan’s situation did not improve.

“I am dying,” he said in one of his final posts.

A funeral was later held for Wahdan in his home village of Taha Shobra. Neither his father nor brother could attend as they both had been hospitalized. 


H/T Arab News

Share this article
*First Published: May 16, 2020, 1:51 pm CDT