- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Today 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Today 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Today 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Today 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Today 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Today 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Today 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Today 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Today 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Today 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Today 8:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chiefs in NFL preseason action Today 6:30 AM
- Chuck E. Cheese recycles pizza is the conspiracy theory that won’t die Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs Rams in NFL preseason action Today 6:00 AM
- Cómo ver el UFC 241: Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic Today 6:00 AM
NASA engineer pilots Mars Rover through space, into Internet’s heart
Who’s that handsome NASA engineer with the kickass mohawk? It’s Bobak Ferdowsi, the Internet’s new hero.
There are a number of reasons why Bobak Ferdowsi is the new darling of the Web. He’s an entertaining tweeter, sports a smashing mohawk hairstyle, and helped land a rover on the surface of Mars.
Ferdowsi, activity lead for the Mars Curiosity project, became the focal point for many of those watching a livestream of the nerve centre at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory near Los Angeles early Monday. His hairstyle, which changes for each mission, caught the imagination of viewers. Along with the mohawk, he had star shapes shaved into his head.
Once his Twitter account was discovered, the number of followers he had exploded from fewer than 200 to more than 15,000. His fun tweets certainly helped:
I just mixed grape protein with cherry juice, and it tastes like all my childhood dreams came true. — July 1, 2011
Few things are better on a winter’s day than piling fresh-out-of-the-dryer laundry on top of you. — Dec. 19, 2010
While livetweeting his way through Mars Curiosity’s descent, he posted an Instagram photo of his view at the command center, tweeting the caption “My view for these last hours. Front row.”
“Just turned off the uplink signal – the spacecraft will operate autonomously through landing. Take care Curiosity. Godspeed. #msl #jpl #nasa,” he tweeted, a little more than an hour before the rover landed.
Ferdowsi took his new-found fame in his stride. Early Monday, he tweeted, “Internet, you win this round. I’ll be back later, but thanks so much. Now going to celebrate with all my friends and team!”
Photo via Twitter
Based in Montreal, Kris Holt has been writing about technology and web culture since 2010. He writes for Engadget and Tech News World, and his byline has also appeared in Paste, Salon, International Business Times, Mashable, and elsewhere.