- Logan Paul is sorry for those ‘going gay’ comments—but he still doesn’t get it 8 Months Ago
- Students who posted blackface Snapchat video leave school 8 Months Ago
- Twitter suspends account that spread MAGA teen confrontation 8 Months Ago
- Here’s how to stream all of the 2019 Oscar-nominated films Today 7:53 AM
- Here’s how to stream all of the 2019 Oscar-nominated animated shorts Today 7:39 AM
- In season 5, ‘Grace and Frankie’ turns senior moments into chances to reclaim power Today 7:30 AM
- You’ll love the ‘Bob’s Burgers’ coloring book more than Tina loves butts Today 7:03 AM
- ‘Carmen Sandiego’ reinvents its thieving protagonist as a role model action hero Today 7:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Power’ online for free Today 6:00 AM
- What you need to know about DVR on FuboTV Today 5:30 AM
- Spotify will soon let you block R. Kelly Monday 6:01 PM
- New Click to Pray app lets you pray with Pope Francis Monday 5:30 PM
- Social media influencer known for hiking in bikinis dead at 36 Monday 4:54 PM
- Trump posts altered pics on social media to make fingers look longer, report Monday 3:20 PM
- Twitch user banned after telling woman to ‘kill yourself’ during stream Monday 3:06 PM
After a few weeks of employee-only testing, a much-requested Reddit feature is now available to the masses: Dark mode. The new Reddit Night Mode theme, as it’s officially called, is available on both its native mobile apps and the desktop site.
In a blog post, the Reddit team shared some details about what it took to develop the Night Mode theme. In particular, Reddit had to unify the way colors are displayed on the site and application. Now that these changes have been made, changing colors going forward will be “a lot easier”—so perhaps we should expect new themes or holiday-related color changes to the site more often.
How to enable Reddit Night Mode
From the redesigned Reddit site
If Reddit’s redesigned website is already live for you, you can switch on this Night Mode theme by tapping your username in the upper right corner. From there, select Night Mode, the third item in the drop-down menu that pops up. Click and toggle Night Mode “on.”
Once that’s done, your Reddit screen should switch from a white to a black background—much friendlier on the eyes for night browsing.
From the “old” Reddit site
If you’re still using the old Reddit website, you’ll have to switch to the redesign before taking advantage of the Night Mode theme.
To update to the redesign, head to the settings page. Then, scroll down to the Beta Options section. Next, check the box for “use the redesign as my default experience.”
- Reddit 50/50: What is it and why is it so popular?
- The best of Reddit’s Shower Thoughts, illustrated
- 15 celebs to look for on Reddit
Alternatively, you can just tap the banner referring to Night Mode and the redesign at the top of the screen. Finally, just head back to the Reddit homepage.
From there, dark mode will automatically be enabled.
Whether your eyes are simply tired of Reddit’s white background, or the glare is just obscene as you’re browsing at night, now you have the option of enabling Night Mode. If you ever get sick of the goth version of Reddit, however, you can easily toggle this feature off by tapping your username in the upper right and then tapping Night Mode again.
H/T the Verge
Christina Bonnington is a tech reporter who specializes in consumer gadgets, apps, and the trends shaping the technology industry. Her work has also appeared in Gizmodo, Wired, Refinery29, Slate, Bicycling, and Outside Magazine. She is based in the San Francisco Bay Area and has a background in electrical engineering.