- Even Republicans are angry with their GOP’s anti-Beto tweet 2 Years Ago
- ‘Egg Boy’ vows to send GoFundMe money to mosque shooting victims 2 Years Ago
- Noom is a weight loss program that prioritizes your mental health 2 Years Ago
- Shane Dawson once joked about ejaculating on his cat—and people are furious Today 8:54 AM
- Rep. Steve King posts Civil War fantasy meme—accidentally mocks own state Today 8:41 AM
- Gaming company Valve removed tributes to Christchurch shooter Today 8:39 AM
- The best new bands at SXSW 2019 Today 8:00 AM
- You can watch DC Universe’s acclaimed original shows for free Today 6:28 AM
- Ximena Sariñana talks capturing feminine energy on her latest album Today 6:00 AM
- The power of parasocial relationships in the age of loneliness Today 6:00 AM
- How to get started with WhatsApp on desktop Today 5:30 AM
- Netflix will remove controversial disaster footage from ‘Bird Box’ Sunday 4:04 PM
- J.K. Rowling’s latest ‘Fantastic Beasts’ reveal is bringing the memes Sunday 3:01 PM
- President Trump calls for government agencies to ‘look into’ ‘Saturday Night Live’ Sunday 12:18 PM
- How to stream Michael Conlan vs. Ruben Garcia Hernandez for free Sunday 11:00 AM
Posting GIFs to Instagram isn’t hard, as long as you know what to do.
Sometimes you don’t want to share a photo on Instagram. You also don’t want to share a video. What you want is to share a GIF, a memorable, LOL-worthy loop that lies somewhere between the too. Unfortunately, many phones don’t let you save or record GIFs to your camera roll. So, how are you supposed to share it?
How to upload a GIF to Instagram
If you’re familiar with Giphy, it’s pretty easy. Giphy has a button below its GIFs that let you share them to Instagram. What Giphy does is automatically convert the GIF into a 15-second .mp4 file. This makes it compatible with Instagram’s upload guidelines. When you tap that button, then enter your email address, Giphy will email you the file, which you can then save and post to Instagram (or wherever else you want).
If you don’t want to use Giphy, there are other options—namely, GIF-to-video converter apps. On Android, you can use an app such as GIF to Video (free).
On iOS, you can use GifVID ($0.99). Both of these apps give you a handful of editing options, as well as simply converting a GIF file into an Instagram-friendly video.
- How to repost on Instagram
- The secret trick to downloading full-resolution Instagram photos
- Who has the most followers on Instagram?
Once you’ve got a GIF converted to video, simply open Instagram, and then find the video in your camera roll. Then, you can upload it and edit it further, if you choose.
Now that Instagram’s parent company Facebook fully embraces GIFs, it’s possible that this workaround may be moot in the future. However, for now, this is what you have to do.
Need more help? Here’s how to clear your search history on Instagram and how to tell if someone blocked you on Instagram. You can also disconnect Facebook from Instagram or unblock someone. For more tips, see our ultimate beginner’s guide to Instagram.
Christina Bonnington is a tech reporter who specializes in consumer gadgets, apps, and the trends shaping the technology industry. Her work has also appeared in Gizmodo, Wired, Refinery29, Slate, Bicycling, and Outside Magazine. She is based in the San Francisco Bay Area and has a background in electrical engineering.