- How to stream Mexico vs. Panama in Concacaf Nations League play 2 Years Ago
- How to stream U.S. vs. Canada in the Concacaf Nations League tournament 2 Years Ago
- Fortnite’s black hole launches conspiracy theories and memes 2 Years Ago
- WeWork pulls phone booths over formaldehyde concerns 2 Years Ago
- Mark Zuckerberg is reportedly having private meetings with prominent conservatives 2 Years Ago
- Firework is a social video app with a literal twist Today 2:46 PM
- Pro-Trump meme comedian Carpe Donktum suspended by Twitter (updated) Today 1:35 PM
- Here are all of the Disney+ titles available to stream at launch Today 12:52 PM
- Rumor: Apple to release $399 iPhone SE follow-up next year Today 12:44 PM
- Sulli, K-pop star who spoke against cyberbullying, dead at 25 Today 12:37 PM
- The latest front in Turkey’s digital war against the Kurds? Google reviews Today 12:19 PM
- Slow iPhone got you down? Here’s how to speed it back up Today 11:49 AM
- Andy Ngo smears antifa activist killed in hit-and-run Today 11:25 AM
- ‘Succession’ but with M&Ms is a pitch-perfect parody Today 11:12 AM
- Logan Paul insists he’s pro-choice after ‘5 abortions’ controversy Today 10:48 AM
Sometimes you don’t want to share a photo on Instagram. You also don’t want to share a video. What you want is to share a GIF, a memorable, LOL-worthy loop that lies somewhere between the too. Unfortunately, many phones don’t let you save or record GIFs to your camera roll. So, how are you supposed to share it?
How to upload a GIF to Instagram
If you’re familiar with Giphy, it’s pretty easy. Giphy has a button below its GIFs that let you share them to Instagram. What Giphy does is automatically convert the GIF into a 15-second .mp4 file. This makes it compatible with Instagram’s upload guidelines. When you tap that button, then enter your email address, Giphy will email you the file, which you can then save and post to Instagram (or wherever else you want).
If you don’t want to use Giphy, there are other options—namely, GIF-to-video converter apps. On Android, you can use an app such as GIF to Video (free).
On iOS, you can use GifVID ($0.99). Both of these apps give you a handful of editing options, as well as simply converting a GIF file into an Instagram-friendly video.
- How to repost on Instagram
- The secret trick to downloading full-resolution Instagram photos
- Who has the most followers on Instagram?
Once you’ve got a GIF converted to video, simply open Instagram, and then find the video in your camera roll. Then, you can upload it and edit it further, if you choose.
Now that Instagram’s parent company Facebook fully embraces GIFs, it’s possible that this workaround may be moot in the future. However, for now, this is what you have to do.
Need more help? Here’s how to clear your search history on Instagram and how to tell if someone blocked you on Instagram. You can also disconnect Facebook from Instagram or unblock someone. For more tips, see our ultimate beginner’s guide to Instagram.
Christina Bonnington is a tech reporter who specializes in consumer gadgets, apps, and the trends shaping the technology industry. Her work has also appeared in Gizmodo, Wired, Refinery29, Slate, Bicycling, and Outside Magazine. She is based in the San Francisco Bay Area and has a background in electrical engineering.