- Indie game publisher announces Playdate, a console with a hand crank Wednesday 8:18 PM
- How to get The Sims 4 for free Wednesday 7:45 PM
- Trump’s Rose Garden podium sign is the perfect meme canvas Wednesday 7:34 PM
- Forest Whitaker to produce adaptation of novel ‘Hello, Universe’ for Netflix Wednesday 6:58 PM
- Baltimore still refuses to pay hackers who hit city with ransomware Wednesday 5:34 PM
- Net neutrality advocates slam ‘extremely troubling’ letter circulating among some House Dems Wednesday 4:52 PM
- Moms and grandmas are infiltrating TikTok Wednesday 4:35 PM
- Did Britain’s head Brexiter hide in a bus to avoid getting hit by a milkshake? Wednesday 4:26 PM
- This woman who thought she saw a handmaid about to jump from a building is very relieved Wednesday 4:18 PM
- Michael Avenatti allegedly defrauded Stormy Daniels to pay for a Ferrari Wednesday 3:53 PM
- HBO has no plans for an Arya Stark spinoff series Wednesday 3:28 PM
- Republicans and Democrats agree on dangers of facial recognition tech Wednesday 3:18 PM
- Amazon is using video games and ‘swag bucks’ to incentivize workers Wednesday 3:04 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in June Wednesday 2:46 PM
- This Michael Jackson makeup meme is sweeping TikTok Wednesday 2:45 PM
These makeup and hair artists on YouTube can help you achieve a whole new look.
In order to perfect a look or try something new, you need to look no further than YouTube.
The massive video-sharing site has revolutionized personal fashion, offering countless how tutorials that are more informative and intimate than any magazine spread. As such, online beauty gurus are starting to make a mark in the style world. Three hosts rank among the Top 100 most subscribed channels, while Ellen DeGeneres helped turn Talia Castellano, a teen with cancer who posts makeup tutorials on YouTube, into an honorary Cover Girl.
The Daily Dot has curated a list of 10 beauty gurus to check out.
1) Michelle Phan // 3,352,922 subscribers
As one of the early adopters of YouTube, Phan established an early presence on the site and has since become the most subscribed beauty channel. She uses voiceovers in her tutorials, offering detailed and visually compelling instruction on everything from movie- and music-inspired looks to everyday tips and tricks. She’s the online spokesperson for Lancôme, so many of her videos will feature their products.
2) Kandee Johnson // 1,184,881 subscribers
With a background as a celebrity makeup artist and wardrobe styler, Kandee Johnson began making videos in 2009. She runs two blogs while taking care of her four children. Johnson’s been featured on Good Morning America and has been a guest judge on How Do I Look. She’s the one to turn to when you need makeup for a specific occasion.
3) ULoveMegz // 133,841 subscribers
Megz covers makeup tips for both everyday and night wear. On YouTube since 2009, she frequently rewards subscribers with product giveaways, and she boasts a number of videos on how to maintain and take care of relaxed hair.
4) Blair Fowler // 1,266,054 subscribers
Blair Fowler started making tutorial videos upon the suggestion of her sister Elle in 2008. They’ve both been featured on Good Morning America and Seventeen, while Blair was the youngest makeup artist at New York City Fashion Week in 2011. Often shooting in her room, Blair offers product reviews, everyday tips, and giveaways.
5) Bubzbeauty // 1,597,775 subscribers
Bubzbeauty started her channel as a way to destress during her last year at university, and she’s now the most-subscribed beauty guru in the U.K. She tackles viewers’ questions in her “Ask Bubz” videos (including not-often discussed topics like acne), and as a future bride, she’s now making more wedding tutorials, along with regular hair and makeup videos.
6) Tanya Burr // 675,328 subscribers
Burr, a makeup artist and beauty blogger, has worked for Laura Mercier and Clinique and assisted many U.K. makeup artists. Some of her videos focus more on the affordable options you could find in a drug store.
7) Allie Evans // 113,697 subscribers
Like Castellano, Allie Evans proves that age is irrelevant when it comes to making tutorial videos. Featured by Teen Vogue, Evans focuses on fashion, as well as makeup tips, and she’ll often use her videos to vlog about her daily life.
8) Fleur De Force // 558,318 subscribers
As a self-described beauty fanatic and makeup obsessive, Fleur uses her channel to feature different looks for different times of the year, product reviews, and recommendations of her favorite products.
9) Thomas Adrianna // 142,388 subscribers
Considered a top hair blogger by Black Voices, Thomas Adrianna tackles natural and relaxed hair, weaves, hair styles made famous by African American actresses, and a focus on different brands of makeup.
10) Makeup By Leina // 250,584 subscribers
As an aspiring makeup artist, Leina shows you how to achieve the look that celebrities like Nicki Minaj, Kelly Rowland, and Rihanna rock.
Photo via MichellePhan/YouTube
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.