- Justin Bieber slid into the DMs of someone who hated his new album 5 Years Ago
- HQ Trivia host and co-founder in Twitter feud amid shutdown 5 Years Ago
- YouTuber shamed for fake call with Caroline Flack after her death Today 10:59 AM
- This MAGA-loving Keanu Reeves imposter isn’t fooling anyone Today 10:16 AM
- How to watch ‘Outlander’ season 5 online Today 8:00 AM
- Kobe Bryant’s complicated online legacy isn’t buried with him Today 6:00 AM
- TikTok teen’s reaction to discovering boyfriend’s cheating goes viral Saturday 4:46 PM
- This may be the creepiest Amazon review you’ll ever read Saturday 3:58 PM
- Bill Maher booed on own show over defense of Bloomberg Saturday 3:37 PM
- The Sun allegedly deletes negative Caroline Flack story after her death Saturday 2:48 PM
- How to watch ‘American Idol’ season 18 Saturday 2:00 PM
- James Blake defends girlfriend Jameela Jamil amid allegations she’s faking her illnesses Saturday 1:46 PM
- Viral video purports to show doctors with guns amid coronavirus outbreak Saturday 1:07 PM
- Russian YouTubers pretend to be Greta Thunberg, share alleged prank call with Bernie Sanders Saturday 11:07 AM
- TikTok teens are shaving off their eyebrows to ‘look like’ Kendall Jenner, Bella Hadid Saturday 10:25 AM
Florida teen saved the life of police officer who was arresting him
Handcuffed teen acted quickly to save a life.
Florida teen Jamal Rutledge was honored on Tuesday after his quick thinking helped save the life of a Fort Lauderdale Police officer who was in the process of arresting him.
As seen in a video released by the Fort Lauderdale Police Department, officer Franklin Foulks was processing Rutledge on charges of violation of probation for criminal mischief and burglary last September when something went wrong.
At the 37:55 mark of the video, Foulks can be seen suddenly collapsing out of his seat and falling to the floor.
According to a statement from the Fort Lauderdale Police Department, Rutledge gets up and checks on Foulks before yelling and kicking the security fence to draw the attention of the other officers.
Thanks to Rutledge, Sgt. Todd Bunin was able to quickly contact police dispatch, and officers Robert Norvis and Raymond Ketchmark were able to assist Bunin, administering CPR and using an Automated External Defibrillator device to attempt to restore Foulks’s heart rhythm.
The statement by the Fort Lauderdale Police Department made sure to mention that, “Broward Health Medical Staff noted that Rutledge’s actions and the quick response of these officers were largely responsible for Officer Foulks surviving this medical episode.”
On Tuesday, Jan. 21, Rutledge and the responding officers who helped to save Officer Foulks’s life will be honored again at the next Fort Lauderdale Commission meeting, which will be open to the public.
You can watch the entire dramatic video here.
Photo via Fort Lauderdale Police Department
Ikenna Anyoku was a contributor to the Daily Dot from 2014 to 2016 focusing on viral news and entertainment. He now works as a staff attorney for the Legal Aid Society in New York.