- Riots break out after a fake email about coronavirus went viral Thursday 8:59 PM
- Bloomberg edits debate clip to make other Democratic candidates appear speechless Thursday 7:50 PM
- Dad claims YouTube refuses to remove video of daughter’s murder Thursday 6:36 PM
- Video of Kanye leaving Kim in elevator to carry all their bags has people cackling Thursday 6:19 PM
- Orlando Bloom’s tattoo misspelled son’s name because of Pinterest Thursday 5:35 PM
- The Ahi Challenge is the latest dance taking over TikTok Thursday 4:40 PM
- Show criticized for putting rape victim in blackface to protect her identity Thursday 3:42 PM
- Woman becomes viral sensation after iconic ‘Shallow’ subway video Thursday 2:48 PM
- Prettyboyfredo tried to gift a bullied teen some $30,000 Nikes at school—he got detained Thursday 2:13 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: Wedding bells and blows Thursday 1:50 PM
- A 16-year-old made a ‘meme guide’ to help her dad understand online trends Thursday 1:46 PM
- UCLA drops plans to use facial recognition after student pushback Thursday 1:07 PM
- ‘Star Trek: Picard’ recap, episode 5: ‘Stardust City Rag’ Thursday 12:56 PM
- Roger Stone sentenced to 40 months in prison Thursday 12:45 PM
- New The 1975 music video is full of memes you’ll love Thursday 12:28 PM
The Internet thinks alleged mass murderer Elliot Rodger was hot
Maybe don’t post publicly about how handsome a murderer was.
If you needed more proof that Twitter is a stream of subconscious thoughts that perhaps would be better kept suppressed, then here it is: A veritable hive of users are tweeting musings about how hot alleged murderer Elliot Rodger was.
I don’t understand how that Elliot Rodger’s guywas 22 anda virgin and never talked to girls etc. from what i can tell hes a good looking guy
— Repent (@byRepent) May 25, 2014
Santa Barbara murderer Elliot Rodger was a good looking guy. His mannerisms weren’t especially odd. How did he behave 1-on-1 with females?
— Lorde Farquaad (@OzEquitist) May 25, 2014
Elliot Rodger didnt get laid? He’s quite handsome and good-looking. Stupid news by the day!
— AVRILIA (@DongYoungAvril) May 25, 2014
One Facebook post includes various musings about how hot Rodger was. “The cheekbones and the lips,” a comment on the thread reads.
What’s not surprising is that people think Rodger was attractive. He was attractive; quite. What is surprising is that many remain confused as to why he “couldn’t get laid” or never had a girlfriend. The answer seems incredibly obvious: Because he was intensely, insanely disturbed. Because he was the type of person who had three bodies in his apartment, and chronicled his desires to exact revenge. Because he believed he was the “supreme gentleman” and a “god” who deserved girls throwing themselves at him for his existence alone.
via Alex Gonzales/Facebook
Some users tweeting about Rodger’s good looks seem to realize this.
This is going to go down like a fart in a lift but I think Elliot Rodger’s is a good looking chap. Just needed help. A lot of it. Too late.
— Evan Makeba (@BSBFlock) May 25, 2014
“”omg why didn’t girls like Elliot Rodger he’s hot”” did you see the vid he posted he’s a fucking freak that’s why
— Noelle (@noellebelangerr) May 24, 2014
wow elliot rodger was not good looking what the fuck, women were all like HE WAS KINDA HOT FOR A SERIAL KILLER
— fufsy (@fufsy) May 25, 2014
Others… not so much.
I kinda Think elliot rodger was good looking and had an awesome vocabulary why didn’t he get some girls for that? im not gay tbh
— GAY GUY NAMED CARLOS (@TELEPORTINGDUDE) May 25, 2014
Elliot Rodger. 22. Good looking. Drives a BMW. Rich father. Still cant get a shag. #deepsocioanalysis
— Lily (@DDDalglish) May 25, 2014
Apart from his odd nose, Elliot Rodger was kinda hot. Wonder why girls turned him down?
— Bones and Behaviours (@BonesBehaviours) May 24, 2014
It’s not as if Rodger is the first good-looking murderer. Charles Manson was very handsome, as was Ted Bundy. But these men used their good looks to lure victims, and as part of their persona. Rodger seemed afflicted by his appearance, and the fact that it wasn’t appreciated as he thought it should be is what draws us in. The confusion is that he killed because he couldn’t attract people, yet he was so attractive.
But if you think not hard for a few seconds, you know that’s actually untrue: He killed because he was a killer. Do you think if he had a girlfriend, something else about humanity wouldn’t have driven him to “annihilation”? It’s impossible to know for certain, of course, but the extremity of Rodger’s anger and insanity likely wouldn’t have been solved by having sex or going on dates.
Per Rodger’s video announcing his plans:
I hate all of you. Humanity is a disgusting, wretched, depraved species. If I had it in my power, I would stop at nothing to reduce every single one of you to mountains of skulls and rivers of blood. And rightfully so. You deserve to be annihilated.
So that’s probably why such a good looking guy couldn’t get a girlfriend.
Image via Elliot Rodger/Facebook
Molly McHugh is the tech editor of the Daily Dot, focusing on technology, social media, sports, and streaming entertainment. Her work has also appeared in Wired and the Ringer.