- Is that Rosa Parks in random Twitter user’s baby photo? Tuesday 8:24 PM
- Syracuse students say white supremacist manifesto was AirDropped to them Tuesday 7:44 PM
- Florida woman gets prison time for throwing slushie at Matt Gaetz Tuesday 6:28 PM
- Marie Kondo’s online store slammed for selling clutter-worthy products Tuesday 5:34 PM
- People are rallying against toxic masculinity on International Men’s Day Tuesday 4:42 PM
- Reddit wants to stop its pro-Trump forum from outing the alleged whistleblower Tuesday 3:38 PM
- White woman calls cops on man who said he was visiting aunt with his kids Tuesday 3:12 PM
- ‘The Stranded’ is a flawed yet addictive blend of ‘Degrassi’ and ‘Lost’ Tuesday 2:45 PM
- The ‘gonna tell my kids’ meme is revisionist history at its most absurd Tuesday 2:24 PM
- Redditor asks former burglars to give home security tips Tuesday 2:18 PM
- Facebook-Breitbart partnership under fire in wake of new Stephen Miller emails Tuesday 2:00 PM
- John Krasinski under fire after praising the CIA Tuesday 1:46 PM
- Conservatives melt down after Chick-fil-A says it will stop donating to anti-LGBTQ orgs Tuesday 1:33 PM
- ‘Honey Boy’ is an experimental look at channeling trauma Tuesday 1:28 PM
- Disney+ now allows users to resume and restart content Tuesday 11:42 AM
The Internet thinks alleged mass murderer Elliot Rodger was hot
Maybe don’t post publicly about how handsome a murderer was.
If you needed more proof that Twitter is a stream of subconscious thoughts that perhaps would be better kept suppressed, then here it is: A veritable hive of users are tweeting musings about how hot alleged murderer Elliot Rodger was.
I don’t understand how that Elliot Rodger’s guywas 22 anda virgin and never talked to girls etc. from what i can tell hes a good looking guy
— Repent (@byRepent) May 25, 2014
Santa Barbara murderer Elliot Rodger was a good looking guy. His mannerisms weren’t especially odd. How did he behave 1-on-1 with females?
— Lorde Farquaad (@OzEquitist) May 25, 2014
Elliot Rodger didnt get laid? He’s quite handsome and good-looking. Stupid news by the day!
— AVRILIA (@DongYoungAvril) May 25, 2014
One Facebook post includes various musings about how hot Rodger was. “The cheekbones and the lips,” a comment on the thread reads.
What’s not surprising is that people think Rodger was attractive. He was attractive; quite. What is surprising is that many remain confused as to why he “couldn’t get laid” or never had a girlfriend. The answer seems incredibly obvious: Because he was intensely, insanely disturbed. Because he was the type of person who had three bodies in his apartment, and chronicled his desires to exact revenge. Because he believed he was the “supreme gentleman” and a “god” who deserved girls throwing themselves at him for his existence alone.
via Alex Gonzales/Facebook
Some users tweeting about Rodger’s good looks seem to realize this.
This is going to go down like a fart in a lift but I think Elliot Rodger’s is a good looking chap. Just needed help. A lot of it. Too late.
— Evan Makeba (@BSBFlock) May 25, 2014
“”omg why didn’t girls like Elliot Rodger he’s hot”” did you see the vid he posted he’s a fucking freak that’s why
— Noelle (@noellebelangerr) May 24, 2014
wow elliot rodger was not good looking what the fuck, women were all like HE WAS KINDA HOT FOR A SERIAL KILLER
— fufsy (@fufsy) May 25, 2014
Others… not so much.
I kinda Think elliot rodger was good looking and had an awesome vocabulary why didn’t he get some girls for that? im not gay tbh
— GAY GUY NAMED CARLOS (@TELEPORTINGDUDE) May 25, 2014
Elliot Rodger. 22. Good looking. Drives a BMW. Rich father. Still cant get a shag. #deepsocioanalysis
— Lily (@DDDalglish) May 25, 2014
Apart from his odd nose, Elliot Rodger was kinda hot. Wonder why girls turned him down?
— Bones and Behaviours (@BonesBehaviours) May 24, 2014
It’s not as if Rodger is the first good-looking murderer. Charles Manson was very handsome, as was Ted Bundy. But these men used their good looks to lure victims, and as part of their persona. Rodger seemed afflicted by his appearance, and the fact that it wasn’t appreciated as he thought it should be is what draws us in. The confusion is that he killed because he couldn’t attract people, yet he was so attractive.
But if you think not hard for a few seconds, you know that’s actually untrue: He killed because he was a killer. Do you think if he had a girlfriend, something else about humanity wouldn’t have driven him to “annihilation”? It’s impossible to know for certain, of course, but the extremity of Rodger’s anger and insanity likely wouldn’t have been solved by having sex or going on dates.
Per Rodger’s video announcing his plans:
I hate all of you. Humanity is a disgusting, wretched, depraved species. If I had it in my power, I would stop at nothing to reduce every single one of you to mountains of skulls and rivers of blood. And rightfully so. You deserve to be annihilated.
So that’s probably why such a good looking guy couldn’t get a girlfriend.
Image via Elliot Rodger/Facebook
Molly McHugh is the tech editor of the Daily Dot, focusing on technology, social media, sports, and streaming entertainment. Her work has also appeared in Wired and the Ringer.