- Conservatives rage at Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s ‘week of self-care’ Today 4:02 PM
- 2 inflatable snowmen fought in front of a combo KFC/Taco Bell Today 2:47 PM
- How to watch the Boca Raton Bowl online for free Today 2:43 PM
- DAZN KOs YouTube, Snapchat as (temporarily) the most downloaded app Today 1:57 PM
- AT&T says it’s rolling out 5G service this week Today 1:03 PM
- NY state senator tells woman staffer ‘Kill yourself!’ in a tweet Today 12:54 PM
- This Lil Jon-Kool-Aid Man Christmas jam is as extra as you’d expect Today 12:13 PM
- YouTube stars say unfair copyright claims are making their lives hell Today 12:12 PM
- UPS deletes tweet about shredding letters to North Pole after huge backlash Today 11:21 AM
- Viral petition leads to revised Holland Tunnel Christmas decor Today 11:10 AM
- Paul Ryan’s self-serving farewell tour is the bane of the internet right now Today 10:59 AM
- ‘Chilling Adventures of Sabrina’ renewed for seasons 3 and 4 Today 10:59 AM
- Former NASA engineer dupes package thieves into opening this epic glitter bomb Today 10:54 AM
- Trump officials withheld abortion from raped migrant teen Today 10:21 AM
- Your favorite Twitter memes could be hiding malware Today 9:47 AM
12 Days of Etsy: Christmas sweaters so ugly they’re awesome
This Etsy power couple’s screenprinted T-shirts are bound to impress at your holiday party.
The Christmas sweater has never looked this cool.
In lieu of scratchy wool, these “ugly Christmas sweaters” are screenprinted on a cotton blend shirt or sweatshirt. Instead of cheesy art only an ironist or your grandmother could love, they’re adorned with dinosaurs, unicorns, and lusty mooses.
They’re the brainchild of Chris Reams and Anne Warren, the husband-and-wife team behind the Skip N Whistle Etsy shop.
“Our Christmas sweater tees and sweatshirts make the perfect gift for anyone on your list,” the pair told the Daily Dot. “Santa Claus and the dinosaurs is our personal favorite!”
In business since September 2009, the New Orleans couple sells T-shirts for crazy cat people and other oddly charming fashion items—with more than 200 items available. Come every December—and the inevitable ugly Christmas sweater parties that come with it—the two see a rush of new business. This time around, they’ve recruited assistants for the first time.
“The hardest part of running an Etsy store during the holidays is also the increase in traffic,” Reams said. “Sales start flowing in faster than normal towards the last part of November, hit a fever pitch for about two weeks and then they just get super crazy for a few last minute days. Sellers really need to have extra help to answer emails and make sure things get mailed on time. Our elves are standing by and have been training for months.”
If you’re interested in snagging an ugly sweater shirt for yourself or a loved one, you’ll have to act fast. The shop is only filling Christmas orders until Dec. 14. According to Reams, they need the extra time to give each order that personal Etsy touch.
“We get a lot of requests for gifts to be sent to people and are often asked to hand-write special messages on a card,” he said. “We really enjoy helping to spread good cheer from one person to another like that.
“All of our items are screen printed by hand, and then to be able to include a handwritten card rather than just an email message really completes the circle.”
Photo via Skip N Whistle/Etsy
Lauren Rae Orsini is a web culture reporter who specializes in anime and the business of fandom. Her work has been published by Forbes and Business Insider.