With hundreds of millions of tweets per day, it’s impossible to follow everything happening on Twitter. Every Friday, the Daily Dot rounds up notable Twitter news and stories from the past week—in 140 characters or less.
- Twitter chairman Jack Dorsey said the Guy Adams saga “is a learning moment” for the company.
- Olympic gymnastic champ Aly Raisman, 18, accidentally tweeted about going to a club while still in London and tried to cover it up.
- Congratulatory phone calls from the President? Nah. Team USA gold medalists prefer tweets from Barack Obama instead.
- Twitter may well be helping the one-liner’s comedy comeback.
- New York Times tech writer Nick Bilton offered some interesting thoughts on sharing links.
- A rumor about the death of Syria’s president bumped up oil prices.
- The case of a user who threatened a shooting rampage at a Broadway theater was resolved without an arrest.
- This site will tell you how early you started using Twitter. Another shows you which topics you tweet about most.
- Barracuda Labs looked into bogus followers and says 1,000 followers costs $18 on average Barracuda Labs has clearly never heard of Fiverr.
- A councillor will abide by a rule banning tweeting during council meetings, though she’s “disappointed” by the decision.
- Guess what the theme of Tuesday’s New York Times crossword was?
The week’s best new accounts: Double gold medallist Jason Kenny pedalled his way to more than 26,000 followers after just two tweets. Young swimming phenom and 800m Freestyle champ Katie Ledecky also joined this week.
Photo of the week: David Cameron just chillin’, watching Nicola Adams win the first ever Olympic gold medal in women’s boxing on the telly box. However, many thought the photo looked too staged. (@number10gov)
Japan accepts U.S. giant-robot battle challenge
What a time to be alive.14k
The Philae comet lander may have discovered alien life
Don't get too excited just yet. The findings haven't been verified.5.8k
South Carolina State Senate votes to take down Confederate flag
The vote sets up another vote and then an almost-certain signature by the governor.4.4k
Facebook's minor redesign is a major win for gender equality
Take a closer look at that 'friends' icon.0
Dinesh D'Souza thought this photo of Hillary Clinton with a Confederate flag was real
It's time for Dinesh D'Souza to delete his erroneous tweet.