With hundreds of millions of tweets per day, it’s impossible to follow everything happening on Twitter. Every Friday, the Daily Dot rounds up notable Twitter news and stories from the past week—in 140 characters or less.
- Twitter chairman Jack Dorsey said the Guy Adams saga “is a learning moment” for the company.
- Olympic gymnastic champ Aly Raisman, 18, accidentally tweeted about going to a club while still in London and tried to cover it up.
- Congratulatory phone calls from the President? Nah. Team USA gold medalists prefer tweets from Barack Obama instead.
- Twitter may well be helping the one-liner’s comedy comeback.
- New York Times tech writer Nick Bilton offered some interesting thoughts on sharing links.
- A rumor about the death of Syria’s president bumped up oil prices.
- The case of a user who threatened a shooting rampage at a Broadway theater was resolved without an arrest.
- This site will tell you how early you started using Twitter. Another shows you which topics you tweet about most.
- Barracuda Labs looked into bogus followers and says 1,000 followers costs $18 on average Barracuda Labs has clearly never heard of Fiverr.
- A councillor will abide by a rule banning tweeting during council meetings, though she’s “disappointed” by the decision.
- Guess what the theme of Tuesday’s New York Times crossword was?
The week’s best new accounts: Double gold medallist Jason Kenny pedalled his way to more than 26,000 followers after just two tweets. Young swimming phenom and 800m Freestyle champ Katie Ledecky also joined this week.
Photo of the week: David Cameron just chillin’, watching Nicola Adams win the first ever Olympic gold medal in women’s boxing on the telly box. However, many thought the photo looked too staged. (@number10gov)
The Obama administration just took Cuba off the terrorism list
Congress could have objected, but it didn't.3.3k
When this baby elephant collapsed, the rest of the herd knew what to do
Elephants never leave a friend behind.23k
Loving dog owner takes his dying best friend on a bucket list road trip
You've been a good boy, Poh. A good, good boy.12k
Paris to remove love locks from the Pont des Arts
Your treasure is about to be trashed, romantic tourists.
Teens reacting to classic '90s sitcoms will make you feel ancient
You're old. Your TV shows are old. Go to bed!1.8k