With hundreds of millions of tweets per day, it’s impossible to follow everything happening on Twitter. Every Friday, the Daily Dot rounds up notable Twitter news and stories from the past week—in 140 characters or fewer.
- Twitter urged everyone to take a little break from tweeting to call their moms.
- Twitter CEO Dick Costolo gave the commencement speech at University of Michigan.
- E! was the latest high-profile entity to be compromised by the Syrian Electronic Army.
- Researchers can now turn your brain waves into candy. Just kidding; they can turn them into tweets.
- This year's Chelsea Flower Show has a garden controlled by tweets. No, we're not sure why either.
- Keith Olbermann needs to brush up on his Arrested Development knowledge.
- Many got angry with McDonalds after it pounced on the story of the man who helped save three kidnapped women while he was eating McDonalds.
- Stephen Hawking came in for abuse after he boycotted a conference in Israel.
- Twitter apparently led to a rise in the number of hate and terror forums on the Web.
- The Ottawa Senators completely overlooked San Jose Sharks becoming the first team to win an NHL playoff series this year.
- Another week, another soccer player receiving racist abuse.
- A porn star found out the phone number for a Boston Marathon suspect supporter and tweeted it.
- Here's what a month of geotagged tweets looks like:
Photo of the week: There's really no contest. Robin Williams, poking fun at Kim Kardashian, is your photo of the week.
I think I wore it better! twitter.com/robinwilliams/…— Robin Williams (@robinwilliams) May 8, 2013
Texans are adopting dogs in droves to rescue them from flooded animal shelters
Now this is Southern hospitality.94k
How to play every classic video game on your phone
The best '80s and '90s consoles in the palm of your hand.21k
You can play a giant game of Tetris on the biggest Game Boy ever made
Handheld gaming nostalgia writ extremely large.16k
Shazam can now ID books, movies, and magazines—sort of
Shazam isn't just for music anymore.
Your definitive guide to the best robot butts
Thick, toned and metal.7