- Fans defend Lana Del Rey after she was mocked for flying commercial 7 Months Ago
- Lady Gaga fans find alleged new song name in her website’s code 7 Months Ago
- Barstool Sports deletes anti-union tweets, blog post in settlement Today 3:47 PM
- The ‘can have … as a treat’ meme has come full circle Today 3:09 PM
- Joe Rogan says he’s voting for Bernie Sanders Today 2:54 PM
- Woman spots mole in man’s TikTok video, saves him from cancer Today 2:17 PM
- ‘You’ star confirms his character is queer and ‘never will be’ straight Today 1:08 PM
- This Twitch streamer pooped his pants during a broadcast Today 12:17 PM
- Apple’s iCloud encryption plan halted amid FBI pressure, report Today 10:57 AM
- Glenn Greenwald charged with cybercrimes in Brazil Today 10:48 AM
- BadBunny rips her fans for not sending her enough money Today 10:06 AM
- White rapper punched in the face for saying the N-word during battle Today 9:21 AM
- Hillary Clinton blasts Bernie Sanders, says ‘nobody likes him’ Today 8:57 AM
- Someone found Harry Styles’ doppelganger—and TikTok is obsessed Today 8:08 AM
- Patrick Stewart has spoken to Kevin Feige about playing Professor X again Today 7:16 AM
Sophie Turner took a break from her honeymoon to defend soccer star Alex Morgan against critics on Friday.
Morgan received flak for her World Cup tea sipping celebration after scoring what would become the winning goal against England. She later said that the celebration was a nod to the Game of Thrones 23-year-old actress, who “sips tea” on the regular in her social media videos along with the tagline, “and that’s the tea.”
Turner, who is originally from the U.K., is currently on her honeymoon after marrying Joe Jonas. After hearing that Morgan was inspired by her, Turner posted a video on her Instagram story to let the world know what the tea was, once again.
“Okay, I’m on my honeymoon. I’m not really looking at my phone much, but I feel like this deserves a mention,” Turner said. “Unfortunately, the U.K. women’s football team lost at the World Cup, and of course I’m incredibly sad and incredibly proud of that team. But I am so honored that we lost to such an incredible team, the U.S. women’s football team.”
"Alex Morgan, all those people hating on you are probably sitting at home, millennials drinking kombucha" - Sophie Turner— Chicks in the Office (@ChicksInTheOff) July 5, 2019
And THAT'S the motherfucking tea. pic.twitter.com/CPLOiQbRfx
Turner is usually seen in her videos casually sipping wine, rather than tea.
“Alex Morgan, all the haters that are saying that this was disrespectful, I’m honored that you thought of me. And all those people that are hating on you are probably sitting at home, millennials drinking kombucha,” Turner said. “And I’m really fucking proud of you, Alex Morgan. Congratulations on your win. And that’s the motherfucking tea.”
Sophie Turner really took time out of her honeymoon to say "here Alex Morgan, have some rights"— b ⭐⭐⭐⭐ (@efcmorgans) July 5, 2019
Good morning to Sophie Turner, logging on while absolutely sandblasted on her honeymoon to talk about how incredible Alex Morgan is, and Sophie Turner ONLY pic.twitter.com/KWmRQcN4gP— king husband (@elanpin) July 5, 2019
sophie turner wine drunk in the midst of her honeymoon logging onto insta to defend alex morgan I could not write better content if I tried https://t.co/pz1ETS29P8— Emily Kukan (@emilychuckkukan) July 5, 2019
Sophie Turner interrupting her honeymoon to send congratulations the USWNT and Alex Morgan and saying “and that’s the motherfucking tea” added years to my life.— ً (@burningIovers) July 5, 2019
During the Women’s World Cup, the U.S. team has been repeatedly criticized for “celebrating too hard,” and many called Morgan’s latest celebration “disrespectful.” Morgan said the team is facing a double standard.
“I feel that there is some sort of double standard for females in sports, to feel like we have to be humble in our successes and have to celebrate, but not too much or in a limited fashion,” Morgan said at a press conference on Friday.
- Alex Morgan pretending to sip tea is a piping hot meme
- Sophie Turner has a hot take on Arya’s ‘Game of Thrones’ sex scene
- The Queen of the North likes to Juul
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
H/T Business Insider
Eilish O’Sullivan is the news wire editor for the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in the Austin Chronicle and the Daily Texan.