- ‘Fast and Furious’ + ‘American Ninja Warrior’ = Netflix’s ‘Hyperdrive’ 2 Months Ago
- Trump jokes drop in Dow is because Seth Moulton dropped out of 2020 race 2 Months Ago
- What we learned when we visited Mr. B, America’s chonkiest cat Today 1:46 PM
- Trump’s new plan to fight opioid overdose? This tweet Today 1:06 PM
- Fitness influencer shamed for ‘sharing numbers’ in weight loss posts Today 1:04 PM
- The VSCO Girl has always been here Today 1:01 PM
- Tomi Lahren’s new ‘Freedom’ clothing line is made for meme mockery Today 12:21 PM
- Taylor Swift’s ‘London Boy’ is a bop, but Brits don’t think her lyrics are accurate Today 12:02 PM
- Popeyes blasted for employee welfare amid chicken sandwich war Today 11:59 AM
- Cory Booker says nonbinary ‘niephew’ taught him about trans issues Today 11:53 AM
- Megachurch pushes conversion therapy on Instagram, Facebook with #OnceGay Today 11:11 AM
- Christian movie review site blasts Netflix’s ‘The Family’ Today 10:50 AM
- YouTube removes ‘coordinated’ channels spreading Hong Kong misinformation Today 8:58 AM
- Christina Hendricks reveals she was the hand model for ‘American Beauty’ Today 8:30 AM
- Why can’t independent feminist websites stay afloat? Today 8:17 AM
Sophie Turner took a break from her honeymoon to defend soccer star Alex Morgan against critics on Friday.
Morgan received flak for her World Cup tea sipping celebration after scoring what would become the winning goal against England. She later said that the celebration was a nod to the Game of Thrones 23-year-old actress, who “sips tea” on the regular in her social media videos along with the tagline, “and that’s the tea.”
Turner, who is originally from the U.K., is currently on her honeymoon after marrying Joe Jonas. After hearing that Morgan was inspired by her, Turner posted a video on her Instagram story to let the world know what the tea was, once again.
“Okay, I’m on my honeymoon. I’m not really looking at my phone much, but I feel like this deserves a mention,” Turner said. “Unfortunately, the U.K. women’s football team lost at the World Cup, and of course I’m incredibly sad and incredibly proud of that team. But I am so honored that we lost to such an incredible team, the U.S. women’s football team.”
"Alex Morgan, all those people hating on you are probably sitting at home, millennials drinking kombucha" - Sophie Turner— Chicks in the Office (@ChicksInTheOff) July 5, 2019
And THAT'S the motherfucking tea. pic.twitter.com/CPLOiQbRfx
Turner is usually seen in her videos casually sipping wine, rather than tea.
“Alex Morgan, all the haters that are saying that this was disrespectful, I’m honored that you thought of me. And all those people that are hating on you are probably sitting at home, millennials drinking kombucha,” Turner said. “And I’m really fucking proud of you, Alex Morgan. Congratulations on your win. And that’s the motherfucking tea.”
Sophie Turner really took time out of her honeymoon to say "here Alex Morgan, have some rights"— b ⭐⭐⭐⭐ (@efcmorgans) July 5, 2019
Good morning to Sophie Turner, logging on while absolutely sandblasted on her honeymoon to talk about how incredible Alex Morgan is, and Sophie Turner ONLY pic.twitter.com/KWmRQcN4gP— king husband (@elanpin) July 5, 2019
sophie turner wine drunk in the midst of her honeymoon logging onto insta to defend alex morgan I could not write better content if I tried https://t.co/pz1ETS29P8— Emily Kukan (@emilychuckkukan) July 5, 2019
Sophie Turner interrupting her honeymoon to send congratulations the USWNT and Alex Morgan and saying “and that’s the motherfucking tea” added years to my life.— ً (@burningIovers) July 5, 2019
During the Women’s World Cup, the U.S. team has been repeatedly criticized for “celebrating too hard,” and many called Morgan’s latest celebration “disrespectful.” Morgan said the team is facing a double standard.
“I feel that there is some sort of double standard for females in sports, to feel like we have to be humble in our successes and have to celebrate, but not too much or in a limited fashion,” Morgan said at a press conference on Friday.
- Alex Morgan pretending to sip tea is a piping hot meme
- Sophie Turner has a hot take on Arya’s ‘Game of Thrones’ sex scene
- The Queen of the North likes to Juul
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
H/T Business Insider
Eilish O'Sullivan is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot studying journalism and government at the University of Texas at Austin. Her work has appeared in the Austin Chronicle and the Daily Texan.