- In season 2, ‘Succession’ has quietly become one of the best shows on TV Sunday 9:10 PM
- Alexa Demie shares the beauty inspiration behind ‘Euphoria’s’ Maddy Sunday 5:47 PM
- Fans just discovered Lizzo’s old YouTube channel–and it’s full of gems Sunday 4:22 PM
- The ‘Final Destination’ movies are now streaming on Hulu Sunday 2:44 PM
- Marvel asked ‘Maus’ author to remove Trump reference from essay–he refused Sunday 2:02 PM
- Counselors reportedly pressured to share private info about Facebook moderators Sunday 1:20 PM
- Barstool Sports founder under investigation for anti-union tweets Sunday 12:34 PM
- Harmony Korine’s ‘The Beach Bum’ is now streaming on Hulu Sunday 12:19 PM
- How an Instagram feud led to the death of 9-year-old girl Sunday 11:08 AM
- A scarier ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ extended director’s cut is coming to Blu-ray Sunday 9:15 AM
- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Sunday 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Sunday 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
Slick Woods, a 22-year-old fashion model whose popularity soared after joining Rihanna’s Fenty Beauty campaign last year, was trending online Monday as people on Twitter argued over whether or not she is “ugly.”
Woods, whose given name is Simone Thompson, has become a central figure for Fenty Beauty and SavagexFenty, the beauty and fashion brands created by Rihanna. Woods has been featured in several other high-profile modeling campaigns, including Calvin Klein, Marc Jacobs, and Vogue.
She’s garnered attention as a rebel trendsetter with her iconic shaved head and gap-toothed smile. In an open letter in Allure published Monday, Woods expressed her appreciation to Rihanna for “making inclusivity cool,” crediting the Fenty founder and singer with launching her into the public sphere.
“You introduced me to a more mainstream level of exposure,” Woods wrote. “People loved the idea of Slick, but you gave me countless platforms to let people actually fall in love with who I am.”
Adding to the buzz, Woods also revealed last week that she’d been in labor when she walked the runway in SavagexFenty’s latest lingerie line.
View this post on Instagram
A lewk, 14 hours of labor, and A king is born. This is the face of a WOMAN IN LABOR, we hold shit down most of us don’t even know how much we’re going through, I’m here to say I CAN DO WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT WHENEVER THE FUCK I WANT AND SO CAN YOU. Thank you @qualityresusqueen and the Fenty family for taking such good care of us
A post shared by @ slickwoods on
Between modeling Rih’s popular fashion line and giving birth to a baby boy, Woods is at the center of a wave of internet conversation. But as she enters further into the mainstream, some people on Twitter are mocking the model and her unconventional features.
They said Slick Woods look like IceJJFish and I can’t unsee it. pic.twitter.com/Mj8MI7huFe— ascension (@MishaThaBopper) September 17, 2018
I been slaying slick woods is ugly. I can't stand looking at her, God forgive me.— oceaná. (@TheOceanaWay) September 16, 2018
The critiques, of course, fail to recognize that Woods is climbing to success because of her features (and talent as a model), not despite them. Others on Twitter have praised the model for her eccentric looks and credited her with defying Eurocentric standards of beauty.
@ everyone that thinks slick woods is ugly pic.twitter.com/NVKl7m41dj— 0c420 (@yventi) September 17, 2018
Slickwoods was homeless, momma in prison, brother killed in front of her and is now an ‘unconventional’ yet successful model in the industry. She doesn’t give a fuck about social norms & really just a ball of badass sunshine. Oh and she’s 21. so yeah. iconic. we said what we said— Amani (@cvrlyhairshawty) September 16, 2018
If slick woods is ugly then I’m hideous https://t.co/1xTExpyS3C— Taeya Lauren (@TaeTurnerr) September 16, 2018
As of Monday afternoon, Woods has not publicly acknowledged any comments about her appearance. Despite what anyone may think, her rising fame suggests that she won’t be going away anytime soon.
Alexis Tatum studies journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. She's an editorial intern with the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Orange magazine and the Daily Texan.