- How a 10-second Disney jingle became a meme in Thailand Today 4:48 PM
- Instagram users share photos showing gruesome killing of 17-year-old Bianca Devins Today 4:33 PM
- The horror game banned for mocking China’s president probably isn’t coming back Today 3:31 PM
- Cheap vibrators, condoms, and lube: The most satisfying Amazon Prime Day deals Today 3:07 PM
- George R.R. Martin says fan backlash won’t affect his ‘Game of Thrones’ ending Today 3:03 PM
- The very finest Area 51 memes Today 2:52 PM
- Tweet map ranks states where people are boycotting Amazon Prime Day Today 1:54 PM
- Lil Nas X says he will perform at Area 51 for free Today 12:56 PM
- The best Prime Day deals for gamers Today 12:53 PM
- How Republicans are dancing around Trump’s racist tweets Today 12:42 PM
- Not even anti-immigrant groups are defending Trump’s ‘go back’ tweets Today 12:37 PM
- Netflix’s latest chase thriller ‘Point Blank’ lacks electricity Today 12:27 PM
- Jay Inslee floats Megan Rapinoe as his secretary of state pick Today 11:33 AM
- The cast list for the ‘Kingsman’ prequel movie looks totally nuts Today 11:17 AM
- The best Prime Day deals to heat up your kitchen Today 11:16 AM
Rihanna‘s inclusive intentions for her Fenty products have been clear from the start, but her New York Fashion Week show for her lingerie line, SavagexFenty, took expectations to the next level. No, this wasn’t just a fashion show, it was a fashion experience, complete with an entire fictional landscape and choreography.
This savageXfenty show is the exact opposite of the handmaids tale pic.twitter.com/m7N7zdzpvX— Marcella Arguello (@marcellacomedy) September 13, 2018
Across Twitter, viewers of the premiere of Rihanna’s fall and winter lingerie collection have praised the queen for casting a diverse group of models, including women of different races, sizes, and body types.
Can I get a round of damn applause for Rihanna’s Savage X Fenty fashion week show?? - true diversity - all bodies are beautiful - ROUND. OF. APPLAUSE. #yaaasqweeen 🙌🏼— Charlotte Jordan (@CharlieJordanxo) September 13, 2018
Rihanna really flipped the fashion industry in a YEAR. A year ago gap teeth on a black girl could not be high fashion, “plus size” was an exclusive size 6 white woman, lingerie was not for the female gaze & most importantly reminded the world, we have more shades than 12,— A.M (@lilaquamane) September 13, 2018
Artist Rihanna debuts body positivity & diversity with new lingerie line ‘Savage Fenty’ for Fashion Week 2018✊🏻✊🏼✊🏽✊🏾✊🏿✊🏽✊🏾!! https://t.co/c0NIP3SkCQ— Lyric Louden (@lyriclouden) September 13, 2018
Shout out to the Savage Fenty beauty team && Rihanna for having such diversity & natural women on the runway! I could have been in the show...that’s how they made it seem. Like anyone could wear Savage Fenty...not just the rich and famous! #NYFW— Tiara yeenKNO 🌙 (@Sexi_Happi_Chic) September 13, 2018
Through Rihanna’s “Garden of Eden,” two models, including Slick Woods, wore the Savage collection while pregnant, showing the lingerie line’s inclusivity of women at any stage of life.
Slick Woods fully pregnant in lingerie at @SavageXFenty ! And EVERY other body shape and color as well. Watch and learn.— Christina Binkley (@BinkleyOnStyle) September 13, 2018
wow #SavageXFW18 I don't think I've ever seen another lingerie collection use very visibly pregnant models before! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 This fashion show is diverse in so many different ways— Chin Lu 呂錦華 (@ChinHuaLu) September 13, 2018
At the end of the show, the models held hands and exhibited unification, with Rihanna coming out shortly after.
While some fans might be yearning for a few more adventurous pieces, Rihanna’s efforts are providing options for people who may not be able to find lingerie for their size or skin tone at national chain stores.
However, Savage X Fenty is...— Cora Harrington (@lingerie_addict) September 13, 2018
1) Trendy. Several of their silhouettes are right on the mark in terms of what’s trending now.
2) Bright and colorful (which matters a lot in a sea of beige)
3) Fairly size-inclusive, especially for a new brand
Hmm. @SavageXFenty show has just started and I can already tell that this lingerie brand is about to kick Victoria’s Secret’s butt. Strong athletic women, no silly headdresses or diamond bras. And the collection will be for sale online the minute the show ends.— Christina Binkley (@BinkleyOnStyle) September 13, 2018
Watch the entire live stream of the show below:
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.