- Netflix’s ‘Ozark’ beat ‘Game of Thrones’ in 2 major Emmy categories 1 Year Ago
- Animator for Netflix’s ‘Carmen Sandiego’ says he was fired after asking for fair pay Sunday 3:17 PM
- YouTube reverses decision to remove creators’ badges Sunday 1:47 PM
- How video game developer Valve got served secret subpoena as part of FBI’s counterterrorism fight Sunday 12:31 PM
- Aron Eisenberg, ‘Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’ actor, dead at 50 Sunday 11:35 AM
- Who needs glass slippers? This Cinderella cosplayer upgraded with a stunning glass arm Sunday 10:19 AM
- How to check if Yahoo owes you $358 Sunday 9:25 AM
- How to stream Bears vs. Redskins on Monday Night Football Sunday 7:00 AM
- What are the best alternatives to the electoral college? Sunday 6:30 AM
- The best PS4 games you can’t play anywhere else Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Emmy Awards Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 5 Sunday 4:00 AM
- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Saturday 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Saturday 1:26 PM
Rihanna‘s inclusive intentions for her Fenty products have been clear from the start, but her New York Fashion Week show for her lingerie line, SavagexFenty, took expectations to the next level. No, this wasn’t just a fashion show, it was a fashion experience, complete with an entire fictional landscape and choreography.
This savageXfenty show is the exact opposite of the handmaids tale pic.twitter.com/m7N7zdzpvX— Marcella Arguello (@marcellacomedy) September 13, 2018
Across Twitter, viewers of the premiere of Rihanna’s fall and winter lingerie collection have praised the queen for casting a diverse group of models, including women of different races, sizes, and body types.
Can I get a round of damn applause for Rihanna’s Savage X Fenty fashion week show?? - true diversity - all bodies are beautiful - ROUND. OF. APPLAUSE. #yaaasqweeen 🙌🏼— Charlotte Jordan (@CharlieJordanxo) September 13, 2018
Rihanna really flipped the fashion industry in a YEAR. A year ago gap teeth on a black girl could not be high fashion, “plus size” was an exclusive size 6 white woman, lingerie was not for the female gaze & most importantly reminded the world, we have more shades than 12,— A.M (@lilaquamane) September 13, 2018
Artist Rihanna debuts body positivity & diversity with new lingerie line ‘Savage Fenty’ for Fashion Week 2018✊🏻✊🏼✊🏽✊🏾✊🏿✊🏽✊🏾!! https://t.co/c0NIP3SkCQ— Lyric Louden (@lyriclouden) September 13, 2018
Shout out to the Savage Fenty beauty team && Rihanna for having such diversity & natural women on the runway! I could have been in the show...that’s how they made it seem. Like anyone could wear Savage Fenty...not just the rich and famous! #NYFW— Tiara yeenKNO 🌙 (@Sexi_Happi_Chic) September 13, 2018
Through Rihanna’s “Garden of Eden,” two models, including Slick Woods, wore the Savage collection while pregnant, showing the lingerie line’s inclusivity of women at any stage of life.
Slick Woods fully pregnant in lingerie at @SavageXFenty ! And EVERY other body shape and color as well. Watch and learn.— Christina Binkley (@BinkleyOnStyle) September 13, 2018
wow #SavageXFW18 I don't think I've ever seen another lingerie collection use very visibly pregnant models before! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 This fashion show is diverse in so many different ways— Chin Lu 呂錦華 (@ChinHuaLu) September 13, 2018
At the end of the show, the models held hands and exhibited unification, with Rihanna coming out shortly after.
While some fans might be yearning for a few more adventurous pieces, Rihanna’s efforts are providing options for people who may not be able to find lingerie for their size or skin tone at national chain stores.
However, Savage X Fenty is...— Cora Harrington (@lingerie_addict) September 13, 2018
1) Trendy. Several of their silhouettes are right on the mark in terms of what’s trending now.
2) Bright and colorful (which matters a lot in a sea of beige)
3) Fairly size-inclusive, especially for a new brand
Hmm. @SavageXFenty show has just started and I can already tell that this lingerie brand is about to kick Victoria’s Secret’s butt. Strong athletic women, no silly headdresses or diamond bras. And the collection will be for sale online the minute the show ends.— Christina Binkley (@BinkleyOnStyle) September 13, 2018
Watch the entire live stream of the show below:
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.