- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
- The crushing effects of Trump’s abortion ‘gag rule’ on healthcare Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to live stream Pacquiao vs. Thurman Saturday 6:20 AM
- Review: Hulu with Live TV ensures you always have something to watch Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to live stream UFC on ESPN 4: Rafael dos Anjos vs. Leon Edwards Saturday 5:49 AM
- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett Friday 3:12 PM
The photos are amazing.
Sasha Obama: youngest daughter of Barack and Michelle Obama, became the first daughter at the tender age of seven, younger sister to headline stealer Malia Obama. Little Sasha has grown up right the heck under our noses because our baby girl just went to prom.
The reveal came from the older cousin of Obama’s prom date, Twitter user @rugaNICE, who shared the photos Friday night.
“When your lil cousin take Sasha Obama to prom,” he wrote.
The photos are amazing.
Now 17, Obama is a high school senior graduating this spring, reportedly with plans to head to the University of Michigan in the fall.
The last time the former first daughter went viral was when she was spotted casually hanging out backstage with Cardi B and Offset at a Washington D.C. music festival last year. Likewise, people were similarly thrilled to see her prom photos surfacing, as evidenced by “Sasha Obama” trending on Twitter.
Sasha Obama went to prom and she looks so beautiful . Aunty Michelle and Uncle Barack did so well! pic.twitter.com/YPqt85kX2s— Chantellesay (@Chantellesay) May 25, 2019
In case you’re wondering why Sasha Obama is trending, she was asked to prom and looks absolutely beautiful. https://t.co/GQhlgcEqUX— Ricky Davila (@TheRickyDavila) May 25, 2019
looking at "Sasha Obama" like...... THEY GROW UP SO FAST pic.twitter.com/VFsJaXj2ib— honestly! (@famreview) May 25, 2019
imagine asking sasha obama to prom https://t.co/iMlxdkthK8— Lorenzo (@oznezol) May 25, 2019
Sasha Obama in 2009 and on prom night 2019. She's all grown up.😭 pic.twitter.com/Rpt4Y0128k— 🄻🄴🄾🄽🄸🄳🄰🅂 (@FightDaPower) May 25, 2019
Others–perhaps due to her sister’s very normal young adult shenanigans–were just relieved to learn of the wholesome reason why Obama was trending on Twitter, as people tend to quickly assume the worst.
For example, the platform eventually learned it had to add a note when Betty White is trending on her birthday because people always assume our golden girl has left us mortals.
I saw Sasha Obama trending and got scared but she just went to prom and served looks. pic.twitter.com/Ci52eHj8jl— Joe Padilla (@jPad) May 25, 2019
Saw Sasha Obama trending and my fist automatically clenched up but it’s all good because she’s just growing up and served nothing but looks at prom pic.twitter.com/An4Cb9ioXW— lyss (@lyss_bear) May 25, 2019
I saw Sasha Obama was trending and i was ready to throw hands at any article trying to make her look bad but then i saw its bc she looked so beautiful at prom and now i’m happy 😭❤️— mandles_b (@MandyBullock4) May 25, 2019
Luckily for Obama, children of former presidents lose Secret Service when they turn 16, as pointed out by journalist Yashar Ali. So, it will be a judgment-free, teenage fun zone.
Hopefully, Obama and her handsome date had the most magical prom night.
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.