- ‘Boogaloo’ memes are trying to organize a second civil war—and they’re spreading fast Today 3:48 PM
- People are disturbed by these McDonald’s-scented candles Today 3:47 PM
- Season 2 of ‘The Witcher’ is in production Today 3:16 PM
- Here are some cringey billboards Bloomberg ran in Arizona Today 2:51 PM
- PewDiePie returns to YouTube after 37-day hiatus Today 2:01 PM
- Why was a Republican Party Facebook page co-managed by someone in Turkmenistan? Today 1:26 PM
- The shorthand guide to ‘Star Wars: The Clone Wars’ Today 1:07 PM
- Congress urges Tinder to screen for sex offenders Today 1:03 PM
- Video shows 9-year-old threatening suicide after being bullied Today 12:01 PM
- Ex-Goldman Sachs CEO says he might vote Trump because Sanders is too mean to him Today 11:40 AM
- Twitch streamer says she was banned for body painting Today 11:39 AM
- Did BTS fans really cause TikTok to crash? (updated) Today 11:08 AM
- People are selling homemade tampons on Etsy Today 11:01 AM
- ‘Hunters’ review: Amazon’s Nazi-hunting series was a great idea, in theory Today 10:47 AM
- Warren drafts contract to release women from NDAs with Bloomberg (updated) Today 10:42 AM
Sasha Obama: youngest daughter of Barack and Michelle Obama, became the first daughter at the tender age of seven, younger sister to headline stealer Malia Obama. Little Sasha has grown up right the heck under our noses because our baby girl just went to prom.
The reveal came from the older cousin of Obama’s prom date, Twitter user @rugaNICE, who shared the photos Friday night.
“When your lil cousin take Sasha Obama to prom,” he wrote.
The photos are amazing.
Now 17, Obama is a high school senior graduating this spring, reportedly with plans to head to the University of Michigan in the fall.
The last time the former first daughter went viral was when she was spotted casually hanging out backstage with Cardi B and Offset at a Washington D.C. music festival last year. Likewise, people were similarly thrilled to see her prom photos surfacing, as evidenced by “Sasha Obama” trending on Twitter.
Sasha Obama went to prom and she looks so beautiful . Aunty Michelle and Uncle Barack did so well! pic.twitter.com/YPqt85kX2s— Chantellesay (@Chantellesay) May 25, 2019
In case you’re wondering why Sasha Obama is trending, she was asked to prom and looks absolutely beautiful. https://t.co/GQhlgcEqUX— Ricky Davila (@TheRickyDavila) May 25, 2019
looking at "Sasha Obama" like...... THEY GROW UP SO FAST pic.twitter.com/VFsJaXj2ib— honestly! (@famreview) May 25, 2019
imagine asking sasha obama to prom https://t.co/iMlxdkthK8— Lorenzo (@oznezol) May 25, 2019
Others–perhaps due to her sister’s very normal young adult shenanigans–were just relieved to learn of the wholesome reason why Obama was trending on Twitter, as people tend to quickly assume the worst.
For example, the platform eventually learned it had to add a note when Betty White is trending on her birthday because people always assume our golden girl has left us mortals.
I saw Sasha Obama trending and got scared but she just went to prom and served looks. pic.twitter.com/Ci52eHj8jl— Joe Padilla (@jPad) May 25, 2019
Saw Sasha Obama trending and my fist automatically clenched up but it’s all good because she’s just growing up and served nothing but looks at prom pic.twitter.com/An4Cb9ioXW— lyss (@lyss_bear) May 25, 2019
I saw Sasha Obama was trending and i was ready to throw hands at any article trying to make her look bad but then i saw its bc she looked so beautiful at prom and now i’m happy 😭❤️— mandles_b (@MandyBullock4) May 25, 2019
Luckily for Obama, children of former presidents lose Secret Service when they turn 16, as pointed out by journalist Yashar Ali. So, it will be a judgment-free, teenage fun zone.
Hopefully, Obama and her handsome date had the most magical prom night.
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.