- Here’s why you shouldn’t buy a Nintendo Switch until mid-August Monday 5:11 PM
- Man blasted for making his coworkers babysit his child Monday 5:07 PM
- Pete Buttigieg’s country radio interview was blocked from the air Monday 4:35 PM
- 15-year-old Smash Bros. prodigy caught using racist slur in private Discord server Monday 3:47 PM
- Instagram users who post pet pictures more likely to get hacked Monday 3:45 PM
- Post-Prime Day recap: Shipping delays, more sales, and a scam Monday 3:08 PM
- Jacob Wohl returns to Twitter … for now Monday 1:56 PM
- How to stream WWE Raw Reunion Monday 1:35 PM
- ‘I hope Trump deports you’: Woman goes on racist rant to Spanish speakers at a store Monday 1:24 PM
- Emoji Mashup Bot gives life to unidentifiable emotions Monday 1:15 PM
- Notorious grifter Anna Sorokin reportedly blocked from profiting off Netflix series Monday 12:45 PM
- Charlottesville attacker’s Twitter account included praise for Hitler Monday 12:10 PM
- ‘Short Treks’ trailer: Spock, Pike, and Number One return Monday 11:57 AM
- Everything we know about ‘Star Trek: Lower Decks,’ the new animated show Monday 11:55 AM
- Cole Carrigan says he left Team 10 after being called homophobic slur Monday 11:32 AM
Savage x Fenty drops next week.
The collection of bras and underwear drops May 11 and runs up to size 44DDD—a wider size range than shoppers can find off-the-rack at stores like Victoria’s Secret. The advertising campaign is already highlighting models of all body types, something still relatively unheard of in the industry.
“Savages come in all shapes and sizes,” the pop star tweeted in late April.
Rihanna famously disrupted the beauty industry in 2017 with her 40-shade cosmetics line Fenty Beauty, providing many darker-complected makeup users with the first suite of products that actually matched their skin tone—so it’s safe to say she’s hoping lightning will strike twice. And honestly, judging by most fans’ reactions, it looks like she just might.
savagexfenty take ALL MY MONEY I’m here for it— rosalina (@iamoliviag0ld) May 1, 2018
my small titties are ready for savagexfenty— justine (@biticonjustine) May 1, 2018
I can’t afford the savage X fenty lingerie I already know I’m about to buy 🔥— shauna (@ShaunaSylviaaaa) May 3, 2018
The line might have some expanding to do, though, if it wants to live up to the size-inclusive hype. Many Twitter users have been pointing out that while the Savage x Fenty landing page allows users to identify as anything from a 32A to a 34DDD, other plus-bra brands run all the way to size L. So while Rihanna’s brand has dipped its toes into the plus market, it might not really offer a broad enough range of options to firmly hold the title of a plus-inclusive line in some people’s minds.
Ri, the woman in this video is talking about having really giant boobs, but your sign up form only goes up to DDD cup sizes, which seems incongruous. Is @SavageXFenty going to have pieces that fit cup sizes larger than DDD? pic.twitter.com/ouVcxvlebj— EricaJoy (@EricaJoy) April 29, 2018
this is what im saying. DDD isnt really that big. Bravissimo go up to K and even L cup— ♕ KAiARI @愛DK || MIX CLOSED【快空璃】 (@KaiariChan95) April 29, 2018
However, as one user fairly points out, Savage x Fenty still hasn’t launched yet—and there is an “other” option at the bottom of its sizing menu:
So we just gonna act like their isn't an "other" option at the bottom?— The Legendary and Indescribable (@voguebarbados) April 29, 2018
No matter how inclusive the range ends up being, it’s probably safe to say Savage x Fenty is about to make a splash in lingerie.
- Rihanna’s all-time best tweets, ranked
- Even Rihanna enjoyed this destructive Fenty Beauty makeup tutorial
- Rihanna’s Fenty Beauty named one of Time’s best inventions of 2017
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.