- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Today 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Today 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Today 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Today 8:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chiefs in NFL preseason action Today 6:30 AM
- Chuck E. Cheese recycles pizza is the conspiracy theory that won’t die Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs Rams in NFL preseason action Today 6:00 AM
- Cómo ver el UFC 241: Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic Today 6:00 AM
- How to live stream UFC 241: Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Tottenham Hotspur Friday 6:59 PM
- QAnon supporters claim they couldn’t sport Q attire at Trump rally Friday 5:52 PM
- How to stream Southampton vs. Liverpool Friday 4:55 PM
- See when and where your team plays: The 2019 NFL preseason schedule Friday 4:51 PM
- Twitter is testing a feature that would hide offensive DMs you receive Friday 4:19 PM
- How to stream Arsenal vs. Burnley Friday 4:15 PM
In one of its first acquisitions for a title out of the Philippines, Netflix has picked up a horror film called Aurora, according to Variety. The Viva Films thriller was directed by Yam Laranas (The Road, Sigaw) and stars Filipino-Australian actress Anne Curtis alongside Phoebe Villamor and Mercedes Cabral.
The story follows Leana (Curtis) and her younger sister Rita (Phoebe Villamor), whose lives are shaken when a passenger ship called the Aurora crashes into the island where they live. Their search for the bodies to make a bounty takes a twist when it’s apparent that Rita can see dead people as more than dead—and the dead have their own agenda.
Aurora, written by Laranas and Gin de Mesa, debuted at the Metro Manila festival in December. The film’s special effects earned it a nomination by the Filipino Academy of Movie Arts and Sciences Awards.
The first Filipino title acquired by Netflix, Erik Matti’s BuyBust, became available on the platform last year and featured Curtis as a special-ops agent leading a drug bust. The actress, as Variety notes, is wildly popular in the Philippines and has more than 11 million followers on Instagram.
Aurora will be available for streaming on Netflix starting April 25.
- The best new thrillers on Netflix in 2019
- Netflix original horror: The best scary movies to watch
- The 25 worst movies on Netflix
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.