- Chrissy Teigen calls out fan who made weird comment about her daughter’s feet 1 Year Ago
- TikTok’s ‘clean queen’ says videos are helping her figure out ‘adulting’ Today 4:12 PM
- Clearview clients include ICE, Macy’s, Best Buy, leaked data reveals Today 4:08 PM
- Women are clamoring to get their photos on a Twitter feed of ‘hot mugshots’ Today 4:06 PM
- ‘Love Is Blind’ finale: Somehow, real love emerged from this dystopian setting Today 3:57 PM
- Creator of ‘Say So’ TikTok dance appears in Doja Cat music video Today 3:51 PM
- Is TikTok’s algorithm actually pretty racist? Today 3:45 PM
- Fans freaking out over ‘Say My Name’ horror remix featured in Jordan Peele’s ‘Candyman’ Today 3:33 PM
- CDC graphic warns most facial hair isn’t compatible with coronavirus protection measures Today 1:31 PM
- Tutoring website refuses to take down ad sexualizing Asian women Today 1:24 PM
- MSNBC pundit loses air time after saying Sanders staffers are ‘island of misfit Black girls’ Today 12:36 PM
- Court says YouTube isn’t subject to First Amendment scrutiny Today 11:06 AM
- Russian models are Instagramming life in Wuhan Today 11:00 AM
- Hilary Duff suggests ‘Lizzie McGuire’ revival was halted over adult storylines Today 10:37 AM
- Arrest warrant issued for 8chan founder Today 10:22 AM
Like most of us, Logan Paul has New Year’s resolutions. He said he’d abstain from sex in January. He said he wouldn’t drink throughout the month. And he said he’d partake in the vegan lifestyle during those 31 days, too.
But the social media star who was named the Daily Dot’s Worst YouTuber of 2018 is riling up the internet by his declaration that, in March, he is going to “go gay.”
On his Impaulsive podcast, Paul and his co-host Mike ‘Hey Big Mike’ Majlak said “We’re vegan right now. Sober and vegan.”
Later, Paul said, “January is sober vegan January and then February is…”
Majlak chimed in, “We’re going to go the opposite. So, Day 1: steak, big bottles of Tito’s [vodka], and shit.”
Paul continued saying, “And then March—take a guess. … What is it? Male-only March. So it’s male-only March. We’re going to attempt to go gay for just one month.”
Responded Majlak: “For one month. And then swing… go back.”
Paul probably wasn’t serious, and it probably was a throwaway line for a laugh. But many on Twitter didn’t appreciate him making gayness into a punchline.
Can we please stop perpetuating this myth that people CHOOSE to be gay. pic.twitter.com/ZuXlebGUY6— Nicolette NuVogue (@NikkiNuVogue) January 11, 2019
On behalf of the gay community, we don’t want him and we definitely don’t need him. Try again next year pic.twitter.com/GlNl2E5y80— Vera J 👑✨ (@starrchild_1) January 11, 2019
YES LET ME GO GAY FOR A MONTH. CAUSE GETTING BULLIED, ABUSED, DISCRIMINATED BY YOUR FAMILY AND GETTING REJECT BY SOCIETY FOR 25 YEARS OF MY LIFE WOULD OF BEEN SO MUCH EASIER FOR ME.— Desiree Dik (@DesireeDik69) January 11, 2019
When #LoganPaul says he's going to try the "I'm gay" for a month - stating the obvious, going gay is not a detox from being straight, it's also not a type of diet. So, one assumes he'll be engaging in gay sex? This isn't shocking, but his attitude is!— Tim ⭕ (@timeye) January 11, 2019
Less Logan Paul going gay, more Logan Paul going away— making the yuletide gay AF (@rdhesselbrock) January 11, 2019
Paul, who had a tumultuous 2018—from his largely reviled video of the Japanese suicide forest, to his hugely successful amateur boxing match vs. KSI, to his reported $14.5 million earnings for the year—certainly isn’t a stranger to controversy.
Paul messes up, asks for forgiveness, and says he’s become a better person. Then, he does or says something controversial yet again. The pattern continues.
While Paul may think he’s just being silly, others see his jokes as reminders of how little he understands about adversity and discrimination. Much like the Flat Earthers, many in the LGBTQ community want nothing to do with him.
Update 10:49am CT, Jan. 14: Paul has responded with an apology for his choice of words and with an invitation to LGBT group GLAAD to be interviewed on his podcast.
very poor choice of words... my fault. let’s get together and talk about it on my podcast next week? https://t.co/Ki8RKgMJOO— Logan Paul (@LoganPaul) January 12, 2019
- The 25 most-subscribed-to YouTube channels
- Full movies on YouTube: How to find old movies to watch
- Coyote Peterson rode a wave of deadly insect bites and stings to stardom
H/T Gay Star News
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.