- Man claims ex-girlfriend killed his dog after he broke up with her 8 Months Ago
- What are BitTorrent downloads and how do they work? 8 Months Ago
- ICE cuts the cord on real immigrant hotline after being featured in ‘Orange Is the New Black’ Today 10:49 AM
- The 10 best music podcasts for artist interviews and criticism in 2019 Today 10:41 AM
- How a socialist Twitch streamer landed in a feud with Dan Crenshaw Today 10:07 AM
- How to prepare for your fantasy football draft (and season) Today 9:00 AM
- Kit Harington is joining the MCU–and people are guessing which character he will play Today 8:48 AM
- How to live stream Juan Francisco Estrada vs. Dewayne Beamon Today 8:00 AM
- The 5 best free torrent clients you can download in 2019 Today 8:00 AM
- How to stream Saints vs. Jets in NFL preseason action Today 7:49 AM
- How to stream Chiefs vs. 49ers in NFL preseason action Today 7:36 AM
- How to live stream Bellator 225: Mitrione vs. Kharitonov Today 7:30 AM
- Alice Wetterlund draws insight from the last decade in ‘My Mama Is a Human and So Am I’ Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream the Cowboys vs. Texans NFL preseason showdown Today 7:00 AM
- How ‘Stranger Things’ is inspiring new waves of Dungeons and Dragons fans Today 6:00 AM
Like most of us, Logan Paul has New Year’s resolutions. He said he’d abstain from sex in January. He said he wouldn’t drink throughout the month. And he said he’d partake in the vegan lifestyle during those 31 days, too.
But the social media star who was named the Daily Dot’s Worst YouTuber of 2018 is riling up the internet by his declaration that, in March, he is going to “go gay.”
On his Impaulsive podcast, Paul and his co-host Mike ‘Hey Big Mike’ Majlak said “We’re vegan right now. Sober and vegan.”
Later, Paul said, “January is sober vegan January and then February is…”
Majlak chimed in, “We’re going to go the opposite. So, Day 1: steak, big bottles of Tito’s [vodka], and shit.”
Paul continued saying, “And then March—take a guess. … What is it? Male-only March. So it’s male-only March. We’re going to attempt to go gay for just one month.”
Responded Majlak: “For one month. And then swing… go back.”
Paul probably wasn’t serious, and it probably was a throwaway line for a laugh. But many on Twitter didn’t appreciate him making gayness into a punchline.
Can we please stop perpetuating this myth that people CHOOSE to be gay. pic.twitter.com/ZuXlebGUY6— Nicolette NuVogue (@NikkiNuVogue) January 11, 2019
On behalf of the gay community, we don’t want him and we definitely don’t need him. Try again next year pic.twitter.com/GlNl2E5y80— Vera J 👑✨ (@starrchild_1) January 11, 2019
YES LET ME GO GAY FOR A MONTH. CAUSE GETTING BULLIED, ABUSED, DISCRIMINATED BY YOUR FAMILY AND GETTING REJECT BY SOCIETY FOR 25 YEARS OF MY LIFE WOULD OF BEEN SO MUCH EASIER FOR ME.— Desiree Dik (@DesireeDik69) January 11, 2019
When #LoganPaul says he's going to try the "I'm gay" for a month - stating the obvious, going gay is not a detox from being straight, it's also not a type of diet. So, one assumes he'll be engaging in gay sex? This isn't shocking, but his attitude is!— Tim ⭕ (@timeye) January 11, 2019
Less Logan Paul going gay, more Logan Paul going away— making the yuletide gay AF (@rdhesselbrock) January 11, 2019
Paul, who had a tumultuous 2018—from his largely reviled video of the Japanese suicide forest, to his hugely successful amateur boxing match vs. KSI, to his reported $14.5 million earnings for the year—certainly isn’t a stranger to controversy.
Paul messes up, asks for forgiveness, and says he’s become a better person. Then, he does or says something controversial yet again. The pattern continues.
While Paul may think he’s just being silly, others see his jokes as reminders of how little he understands about adversity and discrimination. Much like the Flat Earthers, many in the LGBTQ community want nothing to do with him.
Update 10:49am CT, Jan. 14: Paul has responded with an apology for his choice of words and with an invitation to LGBT group GLAAD to be interviewed on his podcast.
very poor choice of words... my fault. let’s get together and talk about it on my podcast next week? https://t.co/Ki8RKgMJOO— Logan Paul (@LoganPaul) January 12, 2019
- The 25 most-subscribed-to YouTube channels
- Full movies on YouTube: How to find old movies to watch
- Coyote Peterson rode a wave of deadly insect bites and stings to stardom
H/T Gay Star News
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.