- Mortal Kombat 11 trailer delights fans with gory fatalities, new characters Thursday 5:46 PM
- What you need to know about the data breach involving 773 email addresses Thursday 5:13 PM
- Senators fear government shutdown may affect FTC investigation of Facebook Thursday 3:43 PM
- Buy beer for a furloughed government worker with this new website Thursday 3:19 PM
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is teaching Congress how to tweet Thursday 2:42 PM
- Congressmen held genetics meeting with Chuck Johnson, despite his past racist claims about genetics Thursday 2:26 PM
- Female bodyguard thriller ‘Close’ is disappointingly un-thrilling Thursday 2:01 PM
- Twitter faces backlash for insensitive ‘triggers’ joke Thursday 1:13 PM
- 10 user-recommended sites for live tarot readings that are almost too good to be true Thursday 12:08 PM
- AsapSCIENCE comes for Jake Paul over Mystery Brand scam Thursday 11:34 AM
- Why ‘I never thought of it like that’ can actually be deeply offensive Thursday 11:26 AM
- Save 40% on the Fire TV Stick 4K when you rent textbooks through Amazon Thursday 11:05 AM
- Netflix reportedly used real disaster footage in ‘Bird Box’ Thursday 10:53 AM
- Holocaust denier Chuck Johnson spotted with 2 congressmen in Capitol Thursday 10:30 AM
- YouTuber who made popular Darth Vader fan film prevails in copyright fight Thursday 10:09 AM
The internet blasts Logan Paul after he says he’ll ‘go gay’ for a month
Like most of us, Logan Paul has New Year’s resolutions. He said he’d abstain from sex in January. He said he wouldn’t drink throughout the month. And he said he’d partake in the vegan lifestyle during those 31 days, too.
But the social media star who was named the Daily Dot’s Worst YouTuber of 2018 is riling up the internet by his declaration that, in March, he is going to “go gay.”
On his Impaulsive podcast, Paul and his co-host Mike ‘Hey Big Mike’ Majlak said “We’re vegan right now. Sober and vegan.”
Later, Paul said, “January is sober vegan January and then February is…”
Majlak chimed in, “We’re going to go the opposite. So, Day 1: steak, big bottles of Tito’s [vodka], and shit.”
Paul continued saying, “And then March—take a guess. … What is it? Male-only March. So it’s male-only March. We’re going to attempt to go gay for just one month.”
Responded Majlak: “For one month. And then swing… go back.”
Paul probably wasn’t serious, and it probably was a throwaway line for a laugh. But many on Twitter didn’t appreciate him making gayness into a punchline.
Can we please stop perpetuating this myth that people CHOOSE to be gay. pic.twitter.com/ZuXlebGUY6
— Nicolette NuVogue (@NikkiNuVogue) January 11, 2019
On behalf of the gay community, we don’t want him and we definitely don’t need him. Try again next year pic.twitter.com/GlNl2E5y80
— starrchild.1 🦋 (@starrchild_1) January 11, 2019
YES LET ME GO GAY FOR A MONTH. CAUSE GETTING BULLIED, ABUSED, DISCRIMINATED BY YOUR FAMILY AND GETTING REJECT BY SOCIETY FOR 25 YEARS OF MY LIFE WOULD OF BEEN SO MUCH EASIER FOR ME.
— Desiree Dik (@DesireeDik69) January 11, 2019
When #LoganPaul says he's going to try the "I'm gay" for a month – stating the obvious, going gay is not a detox from being straight, it's also not a type of diet. So, one assumes he'll be engaging in gay sex? This isn't shocking, but his attitude is!
— Tim 🛰 (@timeye) January 11, 2019
Less Logan Paul going gay, more Logan Paul going away
— making the yuletide gay AF (@rdhesselbrock) January 11, 2019
Paul, who had a tumultuous 2018—from his largely reviled video of the Japanese suicide forest, to his hugely successful amateur boxing match vs. KSI, to his reported $14.5 million earnings for the year—certainly isn’t a stranger to controversy.
Paul messes up, asks for forgiveness, and says he’s become a better person. Then, he does or says something controversial yet again. The pattern continues.
While Paul may think he’s just being silly, others see his jokes as reminders of how little he understands about adversity and discrimination. Much like the Flat Earthers, many in the LGBTQ community want nothing to do with him.
Update 10:49am CT, Jan. 14: Paul has responded with an apology for his choice of words and with an invitation to LGBT group GLAAD to be interviewed on his podcast.
very poor choice of words… my fault. let’s get together and talk about it on my podcast next week? https://t.co/Ki8RKgMJOO
— Logan Paul (@LoganPaul) January 12, 2019
- The 25 most-subscribed-to YouTube channels
- Full movies on YouTube: How to find old movies to watch
- Coyote Peterson rode a wave of deadly insect bites and stings to stardom
H/T Gay Star News
Josh Katzowitz is the Weekend Editor for the Daily Dot and covers the world of YouTube. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. He’s also a longtime sports writer, covering the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.