- Anti-Trump bros Ed and Brian Krassenstein get kicked off Twitter Thursday 8:07 PM
- Amazon is trying to solve pushback on facial recognition software with a web form Thursday 6:56 PM
- T.I. says Nipsey Hussle’s death was ‘like losing Iron Man’ Thursday 6:32 PM
- Facebook banned billions of fake accounts in the first 3 months of this year Thursday 5:49 PM
- Twitch streamer gets banned for drunkenly passing out during broadcast Thursday 5:00 PM
- WikiLeaks’ Julian Assange indicted under Espionage Act Thursday 4:39 PM
- These doctored videos want to make you think Nancy Pelosi is always drunk Thursday 4:02 PM
- A robot could soon be delivering your packages from a self-driving car Thursday 3:29 PM
- Bipartisan anti-robocall bill overwhelmingly passes Senate Thursday 2:40 PM
- Deepfake-style videos can now be made with just a single image Thursday 1:57 PM
- The Lonely Island’s ‘Bash Brothers’ is what Netflix should be doing with short-form comedy Thursday 1:55 PM
- ‘Green dress lady’ proves green screen memes are still going strong Thursday 1:45 PM
- ‘Bowling alley strike screen’ memes are bizarre and wonderful Thursday 12:40 PM
- TikTok star Mohit Mor shot and killed Thursday 12:00 PM
- Stephen A. Smith is baby Thursday 11:43 AM
American Horror Story is about to get wild.
On Twitter Wednesday evening, show creator and producer Ryan Murphy shared a cast announcement: Lena Dunham will be joining Evan Peters, Sarah Paulson, Billie Lourd, and Billy Eichner in the season 7 cast.
Thrilled that my talented friend Lena Dunham is joining the AMERICAN HORROR STORY family. Always wanted to work together, and now we r!
— Ryan Murphy (@MrRPMurphy) July 20, 2017
Since Girls wrapped a few months ago, Dunham has mostly made headlines for drama over her dogs—so the collaboration is an upgrade in that sense—but AHS fans have been less-than-impressed, to say the least.
“I’ve watched every single AHS, even when the episodes started getting corny af,” one fan tweeted. “What I’m NOT gon do is watch Lena Dunham ANYTHING.”
People on Twitter seemed to share the same sentiment.
— RiRi (@snarkNbb) July 20, 2017
They cancelled Scream Queens just to give us a Lena Dunham season of AHS pic.twitter.com/A5L5s4ELuJ
— la bella vita (@drugproblem) July 20, 2017
ahs fandom: we want taissa, jessica and lily back as regulars
Ryan: Thrilled that my talented friend Lena Dunham is joining the AMERICAN H-
— isa (@brklynbabyy) July 20, 2017
While Dunham hasn’t tweeted about Murphy’s announcement yet, she did tweet about “internet teens” being “way harsh, Tai” a few hours afterward.
OMG Internet teens are way harsh, Tai. And also potentially too young to understand "way harsh, Tai." 😰 pic.twitter.com/mVujZRhqnM
— Lena Dunham (@lenadunham) July 20, 2017
There’s not a whole lot of information yet about what the new season’s theme is, or where (or when!) the characters may be, so this casting announcement is all fans have to work with for the time being.
The new season of American Horror Story is set to premiere in September.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.