- Bernie Sanders wins Nevada Caucuses Saturday 6:54 PM
- MSNBC is out of its mind over Sanders leading Nevada Saturday 5:20 PM
- Kim Kardashian dragged for using makeup to darken her hands Saturday 4:13 PM
- TikTok users show how they turned their vehicles into incredible tiny homes Saturday 3:44 PM
- Woman iconically pranks man who sent her an unsolicited d*ck pic Saturday 2:25 PM
- ‘Terrifying’ deepfake puts Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk in ‘Star Trek’ Saturday 1:06 PM
- A 36-year-old called the cops after being booted from parents’ phone plan Saturday 12:16 PM
- People think novelist Dean Koontz predicted the coronavirus in 1981 thriller Saturday 10:22 AM
- Twitter suspends 70 pro-Bloomberg accounts Saturday 9:15 AM
- In documentary ‘Modern Whore,’ a former escort takes control of her own narrative Saturday 6:30 AM
- Cara Delevingne calls out Justin Bieber for ‘ranking’ wife Hailey’s friends Friday 9:07 PM
- Fans defend Jenna Marbles after some people claimed she mistreated her dogs in a recent video Friday 8:37 PM
- ‘Friends’ gets reunion special on HBO Max, fans go wild Friday 7:37 PM
- Why you should drop everything and start reading ‘Lore Olympus’ Friday 6:27 PM
- ‘Boogaloo’ memes are trying to organize a second civil war—and they’re spreading fast Friday 3:48 PM
In a feature with Harper’s Bazaar, Kylie Jenner channeled Marie Antoinette to talk about Kylie Cosmetics, raising daughter Stormi in the public eye, and the rest of the Kardashian-Jenner clan.
The feature is titled “Kylie Jenner Is Having Her Cake and Eating It Too” and depicts photos of Jenner embodying the 18th-century aristocratic throughout. The feature is raising eyebrows for being a bit too on the nose.
“Kylie Jenner… one of the richest women in America… in a time of massive income inequality… who spends ridiculous amounts of money on extravagant things… dressed as Marie Antoinette,” Twitter user @sarah_conboy wrote. “Who let this happen LOL.”
Kylie Jenner...one of the richest women in America...in a time of massive income inequality...who spends ridiculous amounts of money on extravagant things...dressed as Marie Antoinette 🥵🥵🥵 who let this happen LOL pic.twitter.com/TAozpZufdX— Sarah Conboy (@sarah_conboy) February 4, 2020
harper’s bazaar running a feature on kylie jenner styled like marie antoinette is way more on the nose than they probably thought pic.twitter.com/5MjRTVKm2R— gaming disorder pawg (@roun_sa_ville) February 4, 2020
During a time of great poverty for the average French person, Marie Antoinette was said to be extremely out-of-touch and was despised for her outlandish spending habits.
Jenner has also received backlash–in a modern-day, on social media kind of way–for spending too much money on luxury cars, birthday parties, and clothes. The billionaire was also slammed in January for only donating to the Australia relief effort after being called out for not doing so.
“Not Kylie jenner pretending to be marie antoinette w the cake in the background as well when this year’s most viral her is abt her and it says ‘eat the rich’… 2020 is really too much ajkskdn,” Twitter user @INDIEWASHERE wrote.
Marie Antoinette was eventually beheaded at the guillotine for treason.
“I’m not sure if you’re aware of this BUT… it didn’t end well for Marie Antoinette,” Twitter user @ThomasDavidCoe wrote.
not Kylie jenner pretending to be marie antoinette w the cake in the background as well when this year's most viral her is abt her and it says 'eat the rich'... 2020 is really too much ajkskdn pic.twitter.com/5fvE7nl3Xd— indie (@INDIEWASHERE) February 4, 2020
I’m not sure if you’re aware of this BUT... it didn’t end well for Marie Antoinette.— Thomas Coe (@ThomasDavidCoe) February 4, 2020
Jenner is not the only Kardashian-Jenner to channel the last French queen in the name of content. In 2015, big sister Kim Kardashian West also depicted her for a Hype Energy Drink short film. Kardashian West’s husband Kanye West has also previously called her “a Marie Antoinette of our time.”
“The Kardashians keep channeling Marie Antoinette… I’m just… do they lack any self awareness or,” Twitter user @iknownaama wrote. “Kylie Jenner is a whole billionaire like ma’am… the lesson learned from Marie Antoinette isn’t ‘her dresses are cool’ I’m losing my mind rich people are so weird.”
Kylie Jenner is a whole billionaire like ma'am....... the lesson learned from Marie Antoinette isn't "her dresses are cool" I'm losing my mind rich people are so WEIRD— na'ama⁷ (@iknownaama) February 4, 2020
Brooke Sjoberg is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot studying journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. She is also the Daily Texan's Life and Arts Editor and an editorial intern for Texas Connect magazine.