- In season 2, ‘Succession’ has quietly become one of the best shows on TV Sunday 9:10 PM
- Alexa Demie shares the beauty inspiration behind ‘Euphoria’s’ Maddy Sunday 5:47 PM
- Fans just discovered Lizzo’s old YouTube channel–and it’s full of gems Sunday 4:22 PM
- The ‘Final Destination’ movies are now streaming on Hulu Sunday 2:44 PM
- Marvel asked ‘Maus’ author to remove Trump reference from essay–he refused Sunday 2:02 PM
- Counselors reportedly pressured to share private info about Facebook moderators Sunday 1:20 PM
- Barstool Sports founder under investigation for anti-union tweets Sunday 12:34 PM
- Harmony Korine’s ‘The Beach Bum’ is now streaming on Hulu Sunday 12:19 PM
- How an Instagram feud led to the death of 9-year-old girl Sunday 11:08 AM
- A scarier ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ extended director’s cut is coming to Blu-ray Sunday 9:15 AM
- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Sunday 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Sunday 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
‘Daily Show’ breakout star Jordan Klepper will follow Trevor Noah on Comedy Central
He’s the latest correspondent to get his own show.
Comedy Central announced Tuesday that Daily Show correspondent Jordan Klepper will follow Trevor Noah at 11:30pm ET with a new late-night series that will launch sometime in the fall. The untitled show is in early development and will “look to embrace and define the chaos of our country by channeling Klepper’s steadfast attitude that institutions are to be trusted less than the lies of the mainstream media” and feature a “hand-picked team of contributors.”
“Jordan’s talent has become so increasingly obvious it would take a real fool to not offer him this opportunity,” Comedy Central President Kent Alterman said in a press release.
Klepper, who joined The Daily Show in 2014 and is the most senior correspondent currently on the show, has become known for his segments talking to Trump supporters at his rallies during and after the 2016 election; he even stepped in to host The Daily Show after Noah had an emergency appendectomy last year.
It’s unclear whether it’ll collide with The President Show, Comedy Central’s newly announced weekly late-night program starring President Trump impersonator Anthony Atamanuik that’s starting at the end of April.
“The choice to entrust me with the 11:30 p.m. timeslot is both incredibly humbling and deeply disturbing,” Klepper said in a press release. “Without a doubt, it has utterly destroyed my confidence in Comedy Central’s decision making acumen. Dear God, now I have to work with these fools.”
Klepper is far from the only Daily Show correspondent to have a spinoff series, with Stephen Colbert, John Oliver, and Samantha Bee all thriving after leaving the show under Jon Stewart. But while Klepper is one of the highlights on the current Daily Show, those hoping that someone who wasn’t a white man would follow Wilmore in that 11:30pm timeslot will likely be disappointed.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.