- No, the first words of Trump’s tweets don’t match up to lyrics of ‘Break My Stride’ Sunday 10:28 PM
- White woman demanding strangers ‘repent’ for Christ sparks conversation on mental illness and racism Sunday 9:27 PM
- Amtrak employee asked a NAACP lawyer to move from her train seat Sunday 7:54 PM
- Billie Eilish fans riot after being referred to as ‘Avocados’ Sunday 4:37 PM
- Beyhive coming for Sainsbury’s supermarket over Ivy Park shade Sunday 3:17 PM
- Antique store blasted for selling ‘white only’ signs Sunday 1:45 PM
- DaBaby explains altercation with hotel employee after video goes viral Sunday 12:32 PM
- Kanye faces backlash for headlining Christian event with anti-LGBTQ leaders Sunday 10:31 AM
- Why is Yennefer of Vengerberg so different in Netflix’s ‘The Witcher’? Sunday 10:00 AM
- Actress slammed for ‘acid attack-face’ TikTok challenge Sunday 9:46 AM
- ‘Weathering With You’ blends fantasy and realism in a magical love story Saturday 6:18 PM
- Kidnapped teen used Snapchat to get rescued Saturday 4:35 PM
- What fans do and don’t want to see in future ‘Far Cry’ installments Saturday 4:26 PM
- Aaron Carter accused of stealing lion art for merch Saturday 3:10 PM
- Instagram’s hidden like counts were inspired by a ‘Black Mirror’ episode Saturday 2:06 PM
Sunday night’s awards apparently weren’t his cup of tea, and he thinks the problem may be that “we don’t have Stars anymore – except your President (just kidding, of course)!”
Lowest rated Oscars in HISTORY. Problem is, we don’t have Stars anymore - except your President (just kidding, of course)!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 6, 2018
He also pointed out that Sundays festivities were the lowest-rated Oscars “in HISTORY.” Nielsen only started tracking Oscars viewership numbers in 1974, so technically it was the lowest-rated Oscars in 44 years, but Twitter got the gist.
Several hours later, Jimmy Kimmel—who pulled off the double-feat of hosting the first Oscars since #TimesUp, which just so happened to be the ceremony’s 90th anniversary, without a single meme-ified gaffe—fired back with a burn of his own.
Thanks, lowest rated President in HISTORY. https://t.co/E01UgDaZ3T— Jimmy Kimmel (@jimmykimmel) March 6, 2018
“Thanks, lowest rated President in HISTORY,” the comedian replied, referring to Trump’s approval ratings at the end of his first year being lower than any other president’s in U.S. history.
Kimmel hasn’t shied away from criticizing Trump since he took office last year. Most recently, he took the president to task for his stance on gun reform in the days following Florida’s Parkland shooting.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.