- TikTok’s ‘chin on palm’ challenge has people scratching their heads 1 Year Ago
- How to stream the 2019 NFL Draft for free 1 Year Ago
- How to watch every movie in the MCU before ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Today 8:00 AM
- Review: The apocalypse has never been more aimless than in Days Gone Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Boston bomber voting’ discourse is America at its dumbest Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch ‘Top Gear’ for free Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Getafe online for free Today 6:00 AM
- How safe is the ‘safest’ place in Winterfell? Today 5:00 AM
- Gynecologist explains why garlic shouldn’t go in vaginas Wednesday 7:08 PM
- People on Twitter are posting the 5 weirdest jobs they’ve had for this meme Wednesday 6:48 PM
- Mortal Kombat 11’s Jax ends slavery—and gamers are pissed Wednesday 5:46 PM
- GPS app gave hacker ability to remotely shut off car engines Wednesday 3:58 PM
- Scott Walker wore jeans for sexual assault awareness, and Twitter is reminding him of his misogynist past Wednesday 3:24 PM
- Hacked Lime scooters make sexual comments to riders Wednesday 3:03 PM
- ‘Bonding’ squanders its potential with weak jokes and limp structure Wednesday 2:49 PM
Sunday night’s awards apparently weren’t his cup of tea, and he thinks the problem may be that “we don’t have Stars anymore – except your President (just kidding, of course)!”
Lowest rated Oscars in HISTORY. Problem is, we don’t have Stars anymore – except your President (just kidding, of course)!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 6, 2018
He also pointed out that Sundays festivities were the lowest-rated Oscars “in HISTORY.” Nielsen only started tracking Oscars viewership numbers in 1974, so technically it was the lowest-rated Oscars in 44 years, but Twitter got the gist.
Several hours later, Jimmy Kimmel—who pulled off the double-feat of hosting the first Oscars since #TimesUp, which just so happened to be the ceremony’s 90th anniversary, without a single meme-ified gaffe—fired back with a burn of his own.
Thanks, lowest rated President in HISTORY. https://t.co/E01UgDaZ3T
— Jimmy Kimmel (@jimmykimmel) March 6, 2018
“Thanks, lowest rated President in HISTORY,” the comedian replied, referring to Trump’s approval ratings at the end of his first year being lower than any other president’s in U.S. history.
Kimmel hasn’t shied away from criticizing Trump since he took office last year. Most recently, he took the president to task for his stance on gun reform in the days following Florida’s Parkland shooting.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.