- Transgender people suffer when debates over their rights are framed as ‘distractions’ 11 Months Ago
- Hulu with Live TV just hiked its prices Today 4:05 PM
- Hacker infiltrates Nest cameras to gain PewDiePie subscribers Today 2:37 PM
- YouTube time traveler claims MLK’s granddaughter will be the last U.S. president Today 2:30 PM
- Media coverage of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s Twitch cameo erases Chelsea Manning Today 1:39 PM
- New Alexa skill lets you sing with Queen’s Freddie Mercury Today 1:13 PM
- Netflix is the first streaming platform to join MPAA Today 12:59 PM
- Can you spot an email from a hacker? Today 12:46 PM
- Gina Rodriguez cries over being called anti-Black, gets dragged for ‘fake tears’ Today 12:21 PM
- Boots Riley explains why he got snubbed by the Oscars Today 12:20 PM
- Review: ‘Buffy’ returns with a modern comic book reboot Today 11:47 AM
- You’re about to see a lot more Netflix on your Instagram Today 11:32 AM
- Covington students defend blackface video as ‘school spirit’ Today 11:30 AM
- This YouTuber reportedly filmed himself abusing his cat—and his channel is still active Today 11:18 AM
- Dodie Clark hid a secret song in her videos Today 11:08 AM
Sunday night’s awards apparently weren’t his cup of tea, and he thinks the problem may be that “we don’t have Stars anymore – except your President (just kidding, of course)!”
Lowest rated Oscars in HISTORY. Problem is, we don’t have Stars anymore – except your President (just kidding, of course)!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 6, 2018
He also pointed out that Sundays festivities were the lowest-rated Oscars “in HISTORY.” Nielsen only started tracking Oscars viewership numbers in 1974, so technically it was the lowest-rated Oscars in 44 years, but Twitter got the gist.
Several hours later, Jimmy Kimmel—who pulled off the double-feat of hosting the first Oscars since #TimesUp, which just so happened to be the ceremony’s 90th anniversary, without a single meme-ified gaffe—fired back with a burn of his own.
Thanks, lowest rated President in HISTORY. https://t.co/E01UgDaZ3T
— Jimmy Kimmel (@jimmykimmel) March 6, 2018
“Thanks, lowest rated President in HISTORY,” the comedian replied, referring to Trump’s approval ratings at the end of his first year being lower than any other president’s in U.S. history.
Kimmel hasn’t shied away from criticizing Trump since he took office last year. Most recently, he took the president to task for his stance on gun reform in the days following Florida’s Parkland shooting.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.