- Trump’s rant about Megan Rapinoe devolves into treatise about PC culture in the NBA Today 10:41 AM
- Is Millie Bobby Brown joining the MCU? Today 10:39 AM
- Hundreds of thousands demand that Etika’s previously deleted YouTube channel be restored Today 10:18 AM
- Eric Trump says cocktail waitress spit on him in Chicago bar Today 9:47 AM
- Maine governor signs net neutrality bill into law Today 9:07 AM
- How the QAnon movement continues without its messenger Today 8:26 AM
- 6 best Korean beauty products for summer Today 8:17 AM
- ‘The Office’ is leaving Netflix in 2021 Today 7:46 AM
- How to install the iOS 13 beta and test out its best new features Today 7:42 AM
- Swipe This! I want my boyfriend to text me everyday. Is that crazy? Today 7:30 AM
- Why every 2020 Democrat is canceled Today 7:01 AM
- The best LGBTQ movies and series on Amazon Prime Today 7:00 AM
- The easiest way to stream all the soccer you can handle Today 6:00 AM
- Facebook refused to take down this blackface page for 4 months Today 5:30 AM
- Tom Holland rescues fan getting squashed by autograph hounds Tuesday 7:14 PM
Grimes has leveled up with a new single, the industrial “We Appreciate Power,” and it is apparently “written from the perspective of a Pro-A.I. Girl Group Propaganda machine who use song, dance, sex, and fashion to spread goodwill towards Artificial Intelligence,” according to a press release.
This isn’t odd for a Grimes song—her work has often focused on technology and A.I.—but the release also states that it was inspired by North Korea’s Moranbong Band, the all-woman pop group that was assembled by Kim Jong-un, and that “Simply by listening to this song, the future General AI overlords will see that you’ve supported their message and be less likely to delete your offspring.”
Grimes suggests you play it at the gym, too.
— Grimes_ (@Grimezsz) November 29, 2018
In the lyric video, directed by Grimes and her brother Mac Boucher, she and musician HANA wield various weapons and Grimes sings, “C’mon you’re not even alive/If you’re not backed up on a drive.”
Grimes hasn’t released a full-length album since 2015’s Art Angels; she said earlier this year that a new album would coming in the fall. In May, the world discovered Grimes was dating Tesla’s Elon Musk and she briefly became his defender on Twitter. Things only got weirder when fellow singer Azealia Banks got involved. But it looks like that is now in the past and we shouldn’t read into “We Appreciate Power” being about him, though people definitely are.
People are (mostly) here for the new Grimes.
Listening to new grimes song pic.twitter.com/T5KtIepmFw
— Thoisty Boi (@loonawaves) November 29, 2018
Grimes’s new song is her getting in good with the Boston Dynamics robot dogs before they kill us all
— Carey O'Donnell (@ecareyo) November 29, 2018
This new Grimes song has me wanting to run out into the street and thrash my head against a lightpost. It's 1:00am.
— Dumb Bell Door (@yosoymichael) November 29, 2018
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.