- Kylie Jenner found a way to make Kobe Bryant’s death about her 1 Year Ago
- Warren calls for harsh penalties for tech companies that spread voter disinformation 1 Year Ago
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: Miami vices and vexes 1 Year Ago
- Teen gets harmonica stuck in mouth, documents it on TikTok Today 11:08 AM
- Joey Salads got his DNA results in and now he’s tweeting the N-word Today 10:58 AM
- NikkieTutorials says she knows who blackmailed her Today 10:22 AM
- Seth Rogen is making a movie about a deadly meme Today 9:30 AM
- Ring should be shut down ‘immediately,’ Amazon engineer warns Today 9:19 AM
- Joe Biden wants his own Bernie Bros Today 8:57 AM
- Twitch star Adept shares heartwarming story about meeting Kobe Bryant Today 8:44 AM
- ‘Promising Young Woman’ unravels the complexities of a revenge fantasy Today 8:35 AM
- Review: ‘Next in Fashion’ is Netflix’s latest attempt at reality TV Today 7:00 AM
- What is Byte, and can it really compete with TikTok? Today 7:00 AM
- Migrants are under social media surveillance—and that’s a problem for everyone Today 6:00 AM
- Gabrielle Union deserves better from Terry Crews Tuesday 11:12 PM
Grimes has leveled up with a new single, the industrial “We Appreciate Power,” and it is apparently “written from the perspective of a Pro-A.I. Girl Group Propaganda machine who use song, dance, sex, and fashion to spread goodwill towards Artificial Intelligence,” according to a press release.
This isn’t odd for a Grimes song—her work has often focused on technology and A.I.—but the release also states that it was inspired by North Korea’s Moranbong Band, the all-woman pop group that was assembled by Kim Jong-un, and that “Simply by listening to this song, the future General AI overlords will see that you’ve supported their message and be less likely to delete your offspring.”
Grimes suggests you play it at the gym, too.
In the lyric video, directed by Grimes and her brother Mac Boucher, she and musician HANA wield various weapons and Grimes sings, “C’mon you’re not even alive/If you’re not backed up on a drive.”
Grimes hasn’t released a full-length album since 2015’s Art Angels; she said earlier this year that a new album would coming in the fall. In May, the world discovered Grimes was dating Tesla’s Elon Musk and she briefly became his defender on Twitter. Things only got weirder when fellow singer Azealia Banks got involved. But it looks like that is now in the past and we shouldn’t read into “We Appreciate Power” being about him, though people definitely are.
People are (mostly) here for the new Grimes.
Listening to new grimes song pic.twitter.com/T5KtIepmFw— Thoisty Boi (@loonawaves) November 29, 2018
Grimes’s new song is her getting in good with the Boston Dynamics robot dogs before they kill us all— Carey O'Donnell (@ecareyo) November 29, 2018
This new Grimes song has me wanting to run out into the street and thrash my head against a lightpost. It's 1:00am.— Dumb Bell Door (@yosoymichael) November 29, 2018
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.