- Miss USA thought everyone spoke English—and the internet is not amused Thursday 8:02 PM
- Kanye’s Twitter tirade prompts apology from Drake Thursday 6:00 PM
- Listen to Pitbull cover Toto’s ‘Africa’ for the ‘Aquaman’ soundtrack—or don’t Thursday 4:55 PM
- Nancy Pelosi’s coat is the meme the resistance needed Thursday 4:39 PM
- Oprah says what was really on her mind while she ate bland chicken Thursday 4:00 PM
- Democrats predicted to go in on net neutrality when they take House Thursday 3:33 PM
- Holland Tunnel decorations are a real nightmare before Christmas Thursday 2:12 PM
- Amazon still won’t say whether ICE uses its facial recognition tech Thursday 1:13 PM
- Ninja to host Thursday Night Football Thursday 12:00 PM
- How to stream the NFL’s Week 15 for free Thursday 12:00 PM
- An undecorated room sets off a debate on Twitter Thursday 11:42 AM
- Netflix announces Taylor Swift ‘Reputation’ concert film Thursday 11:29 AM
- People are making memes out of these ‘leaked’ ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ posters Thursday 11:12 AM
- How to watch the Liga MX final between Club América and Cruz Azul online for free Thursday 10:38 AM
- Parents shocked by KKK costumes in school play Thursday 10:11 AM
Grimes has leveled up with a new single, the industrial “We Appreciate Power,” and it is apparently “written from the perspective of a Pro-A.I. Girl Group Propaganda machine who use song, dance, sex, and fashion to spread goodwill towards Artificial Intelligence,” according to a press release.
This isn’t odd for a Grimes song—her work has often focused on technology and A.I.—but the release also states that it was inspired by North Korea’s Moranbong Band, the all-woman pop group that was assembled by Kim Jong-un, and that “Simply by listening to this song, the future General AI overlords will see that you’ve supported their message and be less likely to delete your offspring.”
Grimes suggests you play it at the gym, too.
— Grimes_ (@Grimezsz) November 29, 2018
In the lyric video, directed by Grimes and her brother Mac Boucher, she and musician HANA wield various weapons and Grimes sings, “C’mon you’re not even alive/If you’re not backed up on a drive.”
Grimes hasn’t released a full-length album since 2015’s Art Angels; she said earlier this year that a new album would coming in the fall. In May, the world discovered Grimes was dating Tesla’s Elon Musk and she briefly became his defender on Twitter. Things only got weirder when fellow singer Azealia Banks got involved. But it looks like that is now in the past and we shouldn’t read into “We Appreciate Power” being about him, though people definitely are.
People are (mostly) here for the new Grimes.
Listening to new grimes song pic.twitter.com/T5KtIepmFw
— Thoisty Boi (@loonawaves) November 29, 2018
Grimes’s new song is her getting in good with the Boston Dynamics robot dogs before they kill us all
— Carey O'Donnell (@ecareyo) November 29, 2018
This new Grimes song has me wanting to run out into the street and thrash my head against a lightpost. It's 1:00am.
— Dumb Bell Door (@yosoymichael) November 29, 2018
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.