- How to use Google Home Hub as a digital photo frame 5 Months Ago
- How to watch Netflix on Apple devices without AirPlay support Today 5:00 AM
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate player’s trans flag removed for being ‘political’ Monday 7:37 PM
- Does Donald Trump Jr. know what American soldiers do? Monday 7:17 PM
- Sophie Turner has a hot take on Arya’s ‘Game of Thrones’ sex scene Monday 6:50 PM
- Parked Tesla Model S bursts into flames in shocking video Monday 3:12 PM
- Fortnite is getting an Avengers Endgame event Monday 2:44 PM
- The living are facing the end of the world in the latest ‘Game of Thrones’ Monday 2:37 PM
- The best Korean beauty toners for your skincare routine Monday 2:33 PM
- Warren’s plan to cancel student debt stimulates the bad-take economy Monday 2:27 PM
- Video shows Easter Bunny punching man on sidewalk Monday 2:09 PM
- The 7 best lubes for when you wanna do butt stuff Monday 2:00 PM
- 11 best sex toys under $35 to blow your mind Monday 1:30 PM
- Twitch streamer inadvertently documents all the times she was sexually, verbally harassed on vacation Monday 1:12 PM
- Raptors coach Nick Nurse becomes a relatable meme Monday 1:12 PM
Grimes has leveled up with a new single, the industrial “We Appreciate Power,” and it is apparently “written from the perspective of a Pro-A.I. Girl Group Propaganda machine who use song, dance, sex, and fashion to spread goodwill towards Artificial Intelligence,” according to a press release.
This isn’t odd for a Grimes song—her work has often focused on technology and A.I.—but the release also states that it was inspired by North Korea’s Moranbong Band, the all-woman pop group that was assembled by Kim Jong-un, and that “Simply by listening to this song, the future General AI overlords will see that you’ve supported their message and be less likely to delete your offspring.”
Grimes suggests you play it at the gym, too.
— Grimes_ (@Grimezsz) November 29, 2018
In the lyric video, directed by Grimes and her brother Mac Boucher, she and musician HANA wield various weapons and Grimes sings, “C’mon you’re not even alive/If you’re not backed up on a drive.”
Grimes hasn’t released a full-length album since 2015’s Art Angels; she said earlier this year that a new album would coming in the fall. In May, the world discovered Grimes was dating Tesla’s Elon Musk and she briefly became his defender on Twitter. Things only got weirder when fellow singer Azealia Banks got involved. But it looks like that is now in the past and we shouldn’t read into “We Appreciate Power” being about him, though people definitely are.
People are (mostly) here for the new Grimes.
Listening to new grimes song pic.twitter.com/T5KtIepmFw
— Thoisty Boi (@loonawaves) November 29, 2018
Grimes’s new song is her getting in good with the Boston Dynamics robot dogs before they kill us all
— Carey O'Donnell (@ecareyo) November 29, 2018
This new Grimes song has me wanting to run out into the street and thrash my head against a lightpost. It's 1:00am.
— Dumb Bell Door (@yosoymichael) November 29, 2018
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.