- A TikTok of a girl getting an abortion is going viral—and the internet is divided Friday 3:06 PM
- FCC proposes $200 million fine for T-Mobile, others over data sharing Friday 3:03 PM
- Which ‘Love is Blind’ couples are still together? Friday 2:01 PM
- Review: ‘The Invisible Man’ reboot is thrilling but basic Friday 1:25 PM
- Sex workers speak out after OnlyFans leak Friday 1:21 PM
- Normani addresses Camila Cabello’s racist social media posts Friday 1:07 PM
- Mike Huckabee’s defense of Trump’s coronavirus response will make you nauseous Friday 12:06 PM
- Gmail’s email filtering may affect what candidate emails you are seeing Friday 11:08 AM
- Woman shares aftermath of domestic abuse: ‘This is only to raise awareness’ Friday 10:40 AM
- Skai Jackson gets restraining order against Bhad Bhabie after death threat Friday 10:19 AM
- Taylor Swift shades Scooter Braun in ‘The Man’ video Friday 10:15 AM
- Porn stars are lining up behind Bernie Sanders Friday 10:10 AM
- YouTube mom says she ‘beat’ her 2-year-old daughter for ruining her makeup kit Friday 10:02 AM
- Ajit Pai’s net neutrality victory lap comes as his own repeal is under review Friday 9:20 AM
- Alissa Violet is in Italy—and fans are worried she’ll get coronavirus Friday 9:19 AM
2020 giveth, and it taketh away.
The new decade is sure to bring plenty of wonderful things along with it, but when 2020 arrived a few things were lost as well. Popular sitcom Friends ended its run on Netflix as the year came to a close, and fans of the series are feeling lost without easy access to binge the show.
As people began to realize the series was no longer available to stream, panic swept the web. Many online have been expressing their anxiety over the move.
“I’m over 2020 already,” one fan wrote on Twitter. “They ripped #Friends right off of #Netflix mid episode and this is the rudest way to start the new year.”
FRIENDS is no longer on Netflix.... crappy new year.— Amanda Stein (@amandacstein) January 1, 2020
really bad start to 2020 when i woke up at 5:42am and they already took friends off of netflix. frick.— sophie temple (@sophietemple1) January 1, 2020
@netflix why would you do this to us. We need Friends. It was the show to turn on when going to bed or the fallback show when you couldn’t find anything to watch. Friends is one of the best shows....ever.— SaintCorVic (@ehbkg1) January 1, 2020
Subscribers in the U.S. were particularly incensed after discovering that the series wasn’t removed everywhere, but it is not accessible to any U.S. streamers.
“Wait, the freaking UK gets to watch ‘Friends’ on @netflix until MAY, but the US loses it TOMORROW,” Twitter user @grayskymornin wrote. “That’s seriously my last straw.”
Meanwhile, fans of the sitcom in other countries are celebrating their continued access.
“It’s 2020 and FRIENDS is still on Netflix,” Twitter user @FanistonGirl wrote. “Thank you Norway.”
BY THE WAY FRIENDS IS STILL ON NETFLIX PHILIPPINES LIKE YESSS BEST NEW YEAR GIFT EVER https://t.co/WbLCzDZp99— Edison Lacea🌹 (@edisonlacea) January 1, 2020
It’s 2020 and FRIENDS is still on Netflix, thank you Norway— Hedda (@FanistonGirl) January 1, 2020
Where to stream Friends now
Unfortunately, fans of Friends without a box set will be on an unwilling hiatus for the next several months. The popular series isn’t streaming anywhere in the near future, at least for viewers in the U.S. The series is set to return to streaming when HBO Max launches in mid-May 2020, but until then, viewers are out of luck. For those who can hold out until May, HBO Max will cost $14.99 for a monthly subscription.
Brace yourselves, binging fans: The Office is next.
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.