- Woman slammed for trying to put UPS driver on blast Sunday 5:23 PM
- Twitter users are sharing which celebrities have blocked them Sunday 4:43 PM
- Conspiracy theorists are already taking advantage of Kobe Bryant’s death Sunday 4:14 PM
- Adam Driver returns to ‘SNL’ as Kylo Ren to reprise role in ‘Undercover Boss’ parody Sunday 3:46 PM
- White men are raging over ‘SNL’s’ white male rage skit Sunday 3:05 PM
- Kobe Bryant dead at 41 Sunday 2:24 PM
- Pete Buttigieg mocked over ‘staged’ walking photo Sunday 12:22 PM
- Louise Linton deletes pro-Greta Thunberg Instagram post Sunday 10:58 AM
- ‘Crip Camp’ shows how a radical summer camp was monumental to the disability rights movement Sunday 9:08 AM
- How to live stream the 2020 Grammy Awards Sunday 7:00 AM
- Technology created deepfakes—does it have a way to stop them, too? Sunday 6:30 AM
- SESTA-FOSTA is ‘detrimental’ to sex workers’ safety, study confirms Sunday 6:00 AM
- Jeff Bezos’ girlfriend allegedly sent his nudes to her brother, who then leaked them Saturday 6:38 PM
- This Instagram account catches influencers in the wild Saturday 5:42 PM
- The best upcoming video games to look out for in February 2020 Saturday 5:23 PM
Disney has announced the cast for its Home Alone reboot, which will reportedly focus on new characters but have a premise similar to the 1990 original.
Jojo Rabbit breakout Archie Yates is set to play the lead, possibly a role similar to Macauley Culkin’s Kevin McAllister. It would make sense that The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt‘s Ellie Kemper and Catastrophe‘s Rob Delaney would play his parents, which was reported elsewhere, but according to Variety, they’re playing other characters. Borat and Da Ali G show writer Dan Mazer is set to direct; SNL cast member Mikey Day and writer Streeter Seidell are penning the script. According to IMDb, it has a December 2020 release date, which means it will likely be a Christmas movie.
Gauging by the reaction on Twitter, a lot of people are not on board with this reboot, or just can’t fathom how the premise of the original—a young boy is accidentally left at home while his family flies abroad for the holidays and has to defend his home from burglars—would work in an era of social media and smartphones.
Guys, we already got a Home Alone reboot. Actually we got 8 of them. It was called Saw. https://t.co/SPYncvZMrJ— Will Mavity (@mavericksmovies) December 11, 2019
Can we stop with the Home Alone reboots? Has anyone actually watched anything beyond 1 and 2? IS THERE A POINT? pic.twitter.com/PLnimSxU9G— B. (@bryancomplains) December 11, 2019
Culkin didn’t directly address the casting news, but he and Sylvester Stallone had an exchange on Twitter about their own reboot ideas.
The reboot was announced in August, along with remakes of Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Night At the Museum, and Cheaper By the Dozen. Disney+ has already announced release dates for a live-action remake of Mulan and 101 Dalmatians villain origin story Cruella.
- Hidden gems and deep cuts on Disney+
- Here’s everything you need to know about Disney Plus
- Disney+ will allow password sharing—to an extent
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.