- How to uninstall the Epic Games Launcher (for real) 1 Year Ago
- How to watch the Indianapolis 500 online for free 1 Year Ago
- Ohio KKK rally met with massive counter-protest and witty signs from local businesses Saturday 5:06 PM
- Guy who said he stole drugs from MS-13 now says viral story is fake Saturday 4:07 PM
- Financial service company left 885 million private records exposed online Saturday 3:13 PM
- Sasha Obama went to prom and Twitter is delighted with the photos Saturday 2:22 PM
- Jon Voight says Trump is the greatest president since Lincoln in Twitter videos Saturday 1:31 PM
- #DeleteFacebook gains momentum after the platform refused to remove doctored Nancy Pelosi videos Saturday 11:58 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ failed women—and it’s a shame on its legacy Saturday 7:40 AM
- How to use Tor, the network that lets you browse the web anonymously Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to live stream Devin Haney vs. Antonio Moran on DAZN Saturday 7:00 AM
- Trump’s transphobic policies are disgusting—but they aren’t new Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Copa del Rey Final online for free Saturday 5:45 AM
- How to watch the DFB-Pokal final for free Saturday 5:30 AM
- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
YouTuber mashes up ‘This Is America’ and ‘Call Me Maybe,’ because nothing is sacred anymore
It’s tasteless, but it’s also amazing how well the songs sync up.
The video is a scalding meditation on racism and gun violence in America, set to the juxtaposed sounds of a choir singing and hard, bass-heavy trap beats. The video features Donald Glover’s disconcerting, albeit rhythmic, dancing. Dancing that, as YouTuber LOTI noticed, would fit remarkably well with modern pop songs.
Yes, that’s right: “This Is America, so Call Me Maybe” is a thing that now exists. It puts the new Gambino video to the tune of Jepsen’s chart-topping 2011 hit, and you should be appalled by its tastelessness. But, maybe, you should also be impressed by how fantastically well these two songs sync up?
Glover debuted the song when he performed on Saturday Night Live, and the video immediately made a huge splash. As the Daily Dot’s Audra Schroeder wrote, “Glover walks through a series of scenes filmed in a warehouse, and they change as the song’s tone does too. In one scene, Glover dances with a choir before spraying them with a machine gun, possibly a reference to the 2015 Charleston, South Carolina, church shooting.”
A song as instantly popular and riveting as “This Is America” was bound to become a meme sooner or later, but if you’re a YouTuber, maybe err on the side of caution with this one. You can watch the mash-up above, or you can just watch Childish Gambino’s original video—which has now surpassed 90 million views—here.
Bryan Rolli is a reporter who specializes in streaming entertainment. He writes about music and film for Forbes, Billboard, and the Austin American-Statesman. He met Flavor Flav in two separate Las Vegas bowling alleys and still can’t stop talking about it.