- A TikTok of a girl getting an abortion is going viral—and the internet is divided Friday 3:06 PM
- FCC proposes $200 million fine for T-Mobile, others over data sharing Friday 3:03 PM
- Which ‘Love is Blind’ couples are still together? Friday 2:01 PM
- Review: ‘The Invisible Man’ reboot is thrilling but basic Friday 1:25 PM
- Sex workers speak out after OnlyFans leak Friday 1:21 PM
- Normani addresses Camila Cabello’s racist social media posts Friday 1:07 PM
- Mike Huckabee’s defense of Trump’s coronavirus response will make you nauseous Friday 12:06 PM
- Gmail’s email filtering may affect what candidate emails you are seeing Friday 11:08 AM
- Woman shares aftermath of domestic abuse: ‘This is only to raise awareness’ Friday 10:40 AM
- Skai Jackson gets restraining order against Bhad Bhabie after death threat Friday 10:19 AM
- Taylor Swift shades Scooter Braun in ‘The Man’ video Friday 10:15 AM
- Porn stars are lining up behind Bernie Sanders Friday 10:10 AM
- YouTube mom says she ‘beat’ her 2-year-old daughter for ruining her makeup kit Friday 10:02 AM
- Ajit Pai’s net neutrality victory lap comes as his own repeal is under review Friday 9:20 AM
- Alissa Violet is in Italy—and fans are worried she’ll get coronavirus Friday 9:19 AM
Bhad Bhabie announced she is taking a break from the ‘gram. Apparently, the rapper–who became Insta-famous after appearing on Dr. Phil as an out-of-control teen–is tired of people calling her racist.
“Due to my mental health I will b taking a small break from this app,” Bhabie, whose real name is Danielle Bregoli, wrote in an Instagram post, per The Shade Room. “I hate to say it but y’all won! Congrats mission complete! y’all made the lil 16 year old completely loose it! Social media has not only made me who I am but also every reason I can’t sleep at night. Imagine being called a racist white cunt every second of [the] day.”
Bhabie went on to explain that being visible on social media has become a no-win situation, with many often calling her out for trying to be Black, accusations, she says, she cannot defend herself from without being called a racist.
“I show off a tattoo they say I’m tryna b black… I defend myself then boom I’m labeled a racist. [Imagine] being me for a second you just get a cute new wig and wanna show it off then the minute you post your mood is instantly killed bc your comment section if flooded with ‘this slut wants to be black so bad’ while wearing a straight blonde wig,” she said. “This shit is really draining… Blows me how I watch people who can’t even tell me my favorite color try to tell me about myself.”
The rapper was recently accused of cultural appropriation after she posted photos and videos of herself wearing box-braids, a Black hairstyle. She dug herself a deeper hole by criticizing Black women when trying to defend herself.
“Y’all hair anit meant to be straight but y’all glue whole wigs on to your heads and sew Brazilian/Indian/Peruvian hair,” the rapper wrote at the time. “Leave me tf alone or imma start getting real disrespectful.”
It seems like she is bowing out of this fight for now, but it is unclear whether she will return in the future for more.
- Bhad Bhabie, accused of cultural appropriation, criticized Black women with her defense
- Boxer Adrien Broner shamed for sliding into underage rapper Bhad Bhabie’s DMs
- Bhad Bhabie and Woah Vicky threw hands in the studio
Tiffanie Drayton is a geek culture and lifestyle reporter whose work covers everything from gender and race to anime and Xbox. Her work has appeared in Complex, Salon, Marie Claire, Playboy, and elsewhere.