- People have much love for the all-women moderator panel at the presidential debate Wednesday 10:03 PM
- Kamala Harris: Trump ‘got punked’ by North Korea Wednesday 9:53 PM
- Biden on domestic violence: We need to keep ‘punching’ Wednesday 9:47 PM
- Amy Klobuchar says she raised $17,000 from ex-boyfriends Wednesday 9:16 PM
- Trump’s campaign is a fan of Tulsi Gabbard’s attack on the Democratic party Wednesday 9:07 PM
- 50 Cent makes Instagram return with transphobic meme Wednesday 8:34 PM
- Lyft driver attacks female passenger after she refused to turn off music Wednesday 7:30 PM
- J.J. Watt posted his phone number online, wants fans to text him Wednesday 6:22 PM
- How a normal redditor becomes a conspiracy theorist Wednesday 5:48 PM
- ‘Bikram’ is not a great film, but it is a document of justice Wednesday 5:43 PM
- Congress is concerned Amazon isn’t safeguarding Ring videos Wednesday 5:40 PM
- Twitter urged to suspend Tory Party Twitter account after it ‘misled’ the public Wednesday 4:56 PM
- This former stripper has the best Humans of New York story of all time Wednesday 4:47 PM
- How to watch tonight’s 2020 Democratic debate Wednesday 4:21 PM
- ‘Dollface’ offers a narrow vision of womanhood Wednesday 3:56 PM
There’s been quite an uproar on the interwebs lately about white actors being cast in roles originated by Asians.
also, quite upset abt doctor strange, don’t get me wrong i ADORE tilda swinton but why whitewash another asian character
— Cami VegaQuiróz (@camivequ) April 14, 2016
And why is Rita Repulsa being played by a white woman and not an Asian woman? I’m not race baiting, but it’s synonymous with the show.
— Mommy Needs A Valium (@LunkenDrush) April 19, 2016
what confuses me more, is why fucking NAT WOLFF was casted as LIGHT YAGAMI for Death Note. Stop casting white actors for Japanese roles.
— stupid idiot (@Anthonyxsiedlec) April 15, 2016
WHY WOULD SCARLETT JOHANSSON PLAY THE PART OF A JAPANESE CHARACTER?! “OH, BUT WE ARE GONNA DIGITALLY ENHANCE HER TO LOOK ASIAN.”
— Jezrelle Corrales (@xox_jezrelle) April 20, 2016
But this outrage seems a bit much considering white people have been playing Asians in movies forever—and doing it quite well. There’s no reason to cast Rinko Kikuchi as Motoko in Ghost in the Shell when Scarlett Johansson can bring her white-girl flavor to the role. In fact, more white people should steal roles from other Asian actors, because why not?
Here are some Caucasian actors who deserve this opportunity.
1) Tom Cruise as Genghis Khan
He has experience playing a samurai and has been the face of Scientology for years, so starring as the brutal emperor of the Mongol Empire should be a breeze for him.
2) Jennifer Lawrence as Madame Butterfly
David O. Russell can direct, and she’ll probably win an Oscar.
3) Matthew Mcconaughey as Jackie Chan
Matthew Mcconaughey #matthewmcconaughey #favourite #actor #truedetective #Sahara #interstellar #frailty #atimetokill #contact #mud #photoshoot #portrait #handsome #mattew #dallasbuyersclub #magicmike #thewolfofwallstreet #freestateofjones #amistad #wearemarshall #best#cinema #Hollywood #superstar #cool#telegram
A photo posted by Moviestars Best & Hot Photos (@moviestars_) on
The Hong Kong-raised, world-renowned martial artist and actor is due for a biopic. Who better to play him than a white guy from Texas?
4) Martha Stewart as Rei Kawakubo
I visited Martha Stewart at home for the new issue of Apartamento Magazine and it was pretty much as awesome as you’d imagine 🍋🍋⭐️ @marthastewart48 @apartamentomagazine #terryrichardson #marthastewart
A photo posted by Terry Richardson (@terryrichardson) on
Rei Kawakubo built her fashion empire in the ’60s as the founder of Comme des Garçons. Martha Stewart kinda did the same thing. This casting choice is a no-brainer.
5) This baby as Amy Tan
Photo via meteo021/Fotolia © (Used with permission)
Only a Caucasian newborn could pull off a role like this.
6) Gerard Butler as literally any Asian person
A photo posted by Gerard Butler (@gerardbutler.ig) on
He’s just coming off of Gods of Egypt, in which he played a pretty convincing Egyptian, so Hollywood should give him a chance to play the role of an Asian person. Seriously, what’s the point of casting someone of Asian descent when there are so many white people available?