- Influencer got trapped under ice for TikTok clout, ‘came close to dying’ Thursday 7:59 PM
- #BernieBruh puts new spin on ‘Bernie Bro’ label, showcases support among Black voters Thursday 6:58 PM
- Camila María Concepcíon, trans activist and Netflix writer, dies at 28 Thursday 5:46 PM
- Chrissy Teigen calls out fan who made weird comment about her daughter’s feet Thursday 4:57 PM
- TikTok’s ‘clean queen’ says videos are helping her figure out ‘adulting’ Thursday 4:12 PM
- Clearview clients include ICE, Macy’s, Best Buy, leaked data reveals Thursday 4:08 PM
- Women are clamoring to get their photos on a Twitter feed of ‘hot mugshots’ Thursday 4:06 PM
- ‘Love Is Blind’ finale: Somehow, real love emerged from this dystopian setting Thursday 3:57 PM
- Creator of ‘Say So’ TikTok dance appears in Doja Cat music video Thursday 3:51 PM
- Is TikTok’s algorithm actually pretty racist? Thursday 3:45 PM
- Fans freaking out over ‘Say My Name’ horror remix featured in Jordan Peele’s ‘Candyman’ Thursday 3:33 PM
- CDC graphic warns most facial hair isn’t compatible with coronavirus protection measures Thursday 1:31 PM
- Tutoring website refuses to take down ad sexualizing Asian women Thursday 1:24 PM
- MSNBC pundit loses air time after saying Sanders staffers are ‘island of misfit Black girls’ Thursday 12:36 PM
- Court says YouTube isn’t subject to First Amendment scrutiny Thursday 11:06 AM
There’s been quite an uproar on the interwebs lately about white actors being cast in roles originated by Asians.
also, quite upset abt doctor strange, don’t get me wrong i ADORE tilda swinton but why whitewash another asian character
— Cami VegaQuiróz (@camivequ) April 14, 2016
And why is Rita Repulsa being played by a white woman and not an Asian woman? I’m not race baiting, but it’s synonymous with the show.
— Mommy Needs A Valium (@LunkenDrush) April 19, 2016
what confuses me more, is why fucking NAT WOLFF was casted as LIGHT YAGAMI for Death Note. Stop casting white actors for Japanese roles.
— stupid idiot (@Anthonyxsiedlec) April 15, 2016
WHY WOULD SCARLETT JOHANSSON PLAY THE PART OF A JAPANESE CHARACTER?! “OH, BUT WE ARE GONNA DIGITALLY ENHANCE HER TO LOOK ASIAN.”
— Jezrelle Corrales (@xox_jezrelle) April 20, 2016
But this outrage seems a bit much considering white people have been playing Asians in movies forever—and doing it quite well. There’s no reason to cast Rinko Kikuchi as Motoko in Ghost in the Shell when Scarlett Johansson can bring her white-girl flavor to the role. In fact, more white people should steal roles from other Asian actors, because why not?
Here are some Caucasian actors who deserve this opportunity.
1) Tom Cruise as Genghis Khan
He has experience playing a samurai and has been the face of Scientology for years, so starring as the brutal emperor of the Mongol Empire should be a breeze for him.
2) Jennifer Lawrence as Madame Butterfly
David O. Russell can direct, and she’ll probably win an Oscar.
3) Matthew Mcconaughey as Jackie Chan
Matthew Mcconaughey #matthewmcconaughey #favourite #actor #truedetective #Sahara #interstellar #frailty #atimetokill #contact #mud #photoshoot #portrait #handsome #mattew #dallasbuyersclub #magicmike #thewolfofwallstreet #freestateofjones #amistad #wearemarshall #best#cinema #Hollywood #superstar #cool#telegram
A photo posted by Moviestars Best & Hot Photos (@moviestars_) on
The Hong Kong-raised, world-renowned martial artist and actor is due for a biopic. Who better to play him than a white guy from Texas?
4) Martha Stewart as Rei Kawakubo
I visited Martha Stewart at home for the new issue of Apartamento Magazine and it was pretty much as awesome as you’d imagine 🍋🍋⭐️ @marthastewart48 @apartamentomagazine #terryrichardson #marthastewart
A photo posted by Terry Richardson (@terryrichardson) on
Rei Kawakubo built her fashion empire in the ’60s as the founder of Comme des Garçons. Martha Stewart kinda did the same thing. This casting choice is a no-brainer.
5) This baby as Amy Tan
Photo via meteo021/Fotolia © (Used with permission)
Only a Caucasian newborn could pull off a role like this.
6) Gerard Butler as literally any Asian person
A photo posted by Gerard Butler (@gerardbutler.ig) on
He’s just coming off of Gods of Egypt, in which he played a pretty convincing Egyptian, so Hollywood should give him a chance to play the role of an Asian person. Seriously, what’s the point of casting someone of Asian descent when there are so many white people available?