- HBO sends fans on a global scavenger hunt for 6 Iron Thrones 9 Months Ago
- The Awkward Family Photos game is Cards Against Humanity for meme lovers 9 Months Ago
- London firefighters’ organization accuses ‘Peppa Pig’ of sexism Today 11:41 AM
- YouTuber accused of abusing her children to make kid-friendly content Today 11:20 AM
- Ari Fleischer’s Iraq War tweet isn’t going over well Today 10:54 AM
- Cop arrested for recording man’s genitals, forcing mentally ill man to twerk Today 10:37 AM
- MoviePass rebrands its unlimited plan, again Today 10:37 AM
- Former Alaska senator launches meme-filled 2020 primary campaign Today 10:17 AM
- The Shane Dawson cat controversy has resulted in these sex memes Today 10:06 AM
- Sarah Sanders mocks CNN reporter with ‘dear diary’ tweet Today 9:03 AM
- Know what you’re signing up for thanks to these dating site reviews Today 8:58 AM
- CBS All Access now offers a month for free—just in time for March Madness Today 8:39 AM
- The Apex Legends: season 1 battle pass is finally here—and there’s a lot to unpack Today 8:38 AM
- Woodstock 50 lineup, rumored ticket prices leave fans on Twitter fuming Today 8:18 AM
- How to stream ‘Pretty Little Liars: The Perfectionists’ for free Today 6:30 AM
Social media has its own sub-language of abbreviations and acronyms that, for digital natives, are easy AF to interpret and use correctly. But it can be a struggle to stay up-to-date with the ever-evolving parlance. The popular texting acronym WYD proves that some acronyms are trickier than others to grasp. Even if you know what the letters stand for, it’s all about understanding the context. So, what does WYD mean?
We’re taking a closer look at certain acronyms from the lingo of online culture so that you can, you know, look all knowledgeable and stuff. Here’s what you need to know.
What does WYD mean?
The basic meaning of WYD is simply “What [are] you doing?” If used in the absolute most straightforward sense, it’s an acronym for just that. Alternate phrases that mean the same thing include “What are you up to,” “What’s up,” and “What’s going on.” A text containing “WYD” can be a catch-all phrase—but it can also have a hidden agenda.
WYD = What kind of activities are you currently engaged in?
Most often used in this context in personal messages, it’s a simple shorthand way of checking in with someone and seeing what they are up to either then, or at a later date.
WYD = What on Earth were you thinking?
On social platforms it can also be used as a hypothetical question, as in, what do you think you are/were doing? It’s a contemporary method of calling someone out, or a way of showing horror, disbelief or incredulity at someone’s actions.
WYD = What would be your response when faced with this absolute dilemma?
The other way it’s used on social media is as a “What would you do” question, presenting the audience with a theoretical dilemma. If [blank] happened to you, how would you react?
WYD = Is there any chance you might wish to meet and fornicate?
Finally, WYD can also be used as a slightly shabby and rather lazy mating call.
With all the subtlety of Joey’s “how yooou doin’?” cheesy pick-up line, the classic use would be as a late night “booty call” via text or other kind of DM.
Alternative meanings: Who’s your daddy?
Technically WYD can also be used as an abbreviation for “Who’s your daddy?” As always, the context in which it’s used should give you a clue as to which is meant. If it’s used in a particularly celebratory fashion, consider this nuclear option.
Editor’s note: This article is regularly updated for relevance.
Amy-Mae Turner is a tech reporter who focuses on gadgets, streaming entertainment, social media, and internet lingo. She previously served as a senior features writer for Mashable.