- Who survived the ‘Game of Thrones’ series finale? Sunday 10:21 PM
- Justin Bieber fans are damaging one of Iceland’s top tourist spots Sunday 1:28 PM
- James Charles drops 41-minute response video to Tati Westbrook’s accusations Sunday 1:15 PM
- Watch what happens when this Twitch streamer quits his job on camera Sunday 12:25 PM
- Men are finally sharing their abortion stories Sunday 10:58 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Maria’ is a trigger-happy B-movie Sunday 9:07 AM
- How to stream Money in the Bank 2019 for free Sunday 9:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8, episode 6 for free Sunday 8:00 AM
- These ‘Game of Thrones’ houses are gone forever Sunday 7:54 AM
- The 10 best anime movies on Hulu Sunday 7:00 AM
- Vibe TV puts a premium price tag on piracy Sunday 6:00 AM
- Twitter unites in collective confusion over ‘Democrats for Trump’ trending Saturday 2:28 PM
- YouTube star tweets and deletes video of his Black cousin ‘Peanut’ acting as a stool Saturday 1:04 PM
- The ‘Do you wash your legs in the shower’ debate has now escalated to feet Saturday 12:20 PM
- Trump posts a world-class golf score, and the internet laughs at him Saturday 10:46 AM
Social media has its own sub-language of abbreviations and acronyms that, for digital natives, are easy AF to interpret and use correctly. But it can be a struggle to stay up-to-date with the ever-evolving parlance. The popular texting acronym WYD proves that some acronyms are trickier than others to grasp. Even if you know what the letters stand for, it’s all about understanding the context. So, what does WYD mean?
We’re taking a closer look at certain acronyms from the lingo of online culture so that you can, you know, look all knowledgeable and stuff. Here’s what you need to know.
What does WYD mean?
The basic meaning of WYD is simply “What [are] you doing?” If used in the absolute most straightforward sense, it’s an acronym for just that. Alternate phrases that mean the same thing include “What are you up to,” “What’s up,” and “What’s going on.” A text containing “WYD” can be a catch-all phrase—but it can also have a hidden agenda.
WYD = What kind of activities are you currently engaged in?
Most often used in this context in personal messages, it’s a simple shorthand way of checking in with someone and seeing what they are up to either then, or at a later date.
WYD = What on Earth were you thinking?
On social platforms it can also be used as a hypothetical question, as in, what do you think you are/were doing? It’s a contemporary method of calling someone out, or a way of showing horror, disbelief or incredulity at someone’s actions.
WYD = What would be your response when faced with this absolute dilemma?
The other way it’s used on social media is as a “What would you do” question, presenting the audience with a theoretical dilemma. If [blank] happened to you, how would you react?
WYD = Is there any chance you might wish to meet and fornicate?
Finally, WYD can also be used as a slightly shabby and rather lazy mating call.
With all the subtlety of Joey’s “how yooou doin’?” cheesy pick-up line, the classic use would be as a late night “booty call” via text or other kind of DM.
Alternative meanings: Who’s your daddy?
Technically WYD can also be used as an abbreviation for “Who’s your daddy?” As always, the context in which it’s used should give you a clue as to which is meant. If it’s used in a particularly celebratory fashion, consider this nuclear option.
Editor’s note: This article is regularly updated for relevance.
Amy-Mae Turner is a tech reporter who focuses on gadgets, streaming entertainment, social media, and internet lingo. She previously served as a senior features writer for Mashable.