- Daniel Caesar dons cape for whiteness—and gets canceled Wednesday 4:29 PM
- Triton is a new malware ‘deliberately’ designed to put lives at risk Wednesday 3:23 PM
- ‘Into the Dark: I’m Just F*cking with You’ is one of the series’ best Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Trump’s latest prop, a map of ISIS, gets memed Wednesday 12:54 PM
- HBO sends fans on a global scavenger hunt for 6 Iron Thrones Wednesday 11:51 AM
- The Awkward Family Photos game is Cards Against Humanity for meme lovers Wednesday 11:50 AM
- London firefighters’ organization accuses ‘Peppa Pig’ of sexism Wednesday 11:41 AM
- YouTuber accused of abusing her children to make kid-friendly content Wednesday 11:20 AM
- Ari Fleischer’s Iraq War tweet isn’t going over well Wednesday 10:54 AM
- Cop arrested for recording man’s genitals, forcing mentally ill man to twerk Wednesday 10:37 AM
- MoviePass rebrands its unlimited plan, again Wednesday 10:37 AM
- Former Alaska senator launches meme-filled 2020 primary campaign Wednesday 10:17 AM
- The Shane Dawson cat controversy has resulted in these sex memes Wednesday 10:06 AM
- Sarah Sanders mocks CNN reporter with ‘dear diary’ tweet Wednesday 9:03 AM
- Know what you’re signing up for thanks to these dating site reviews Wednesday 8:58 AM
Kim Kardashian’s ‘dropping hints that I’m single’ line is getting its meme makeover
Dropping hints that it’s pretty hilarious.
It’s Kim Kardashian‘s world—we’re just living in it.
The iconic businesswoman has given us a lot to thank for: an amazingly comprehensive video game, child deity North West, and the receipts that exposed Taylor Swift for the snake that she is. And, of course, lots of people were introduced to the lives of the Kardashians through E! Network’s Keeping Up With The Kardashians.
We have to give it to Kim K. She’s strategically crafty when it comes to her public life, orchestrating subversive moments, as when she posts naked selfies—or manages to be around yet not involved in conflict between boo Kanye West and Amber Rose. The internet typically obsesses over her latest antics, but the latest Kardashian meme comes from a recently revisited scene in one of the family’s old reality shows.
January 2011 was a very different time for Kim Kardashian; it would be a while before she became serious with Kanye, let alone have his child. On Kourtney and Kim Take New York, Kim goes on a date while enjoying the single life. She explains in an on-camera interview that she’s dropping hints that she’s single. Producers then cut that into a scene of her on the date succinctly saying, “I’m single.”
Quite the hint, right? The humorous moment of course tore through Tumblr when it was originally posted in 2012 on a later deleted blog. But the GIFs and likes have been preserved, racking up over 535,000 notes.
It’s a GIF-set and moment in Kardashian history that most Tumblr lovers and fans will remember. And now, four years later, the scene is finally being memeified.
The framework is simple, with part of the closed captioning text altered to reflect some condition besides singlehood.
And, like anything on the internet, the meme has spiraled into the strange, overtly graphic, and highly specific. If anything, the detail really adds to the moment. Many of these memes really encapsulate the thirst that runs rampant through Tumblr.
In more recent takes, Kim actually transforms into someone else. The meme has also been repurposed to involve other memorable pop culture moments or properties.
Even a speechless Kim works.
Kim Kardashian. Successful entrepreneur, loving mother, and perfect hint-dropping meme.
Gabe Bergado is a Daily Dot alumnus who covered dank memes, teens, and the weirdest corners of the Internet. One time, Ted Cruz supporters turned him into a meme—or at least tried to. In 2017, he started reporting for Teen Vogue's entertainment section.