- ‘Joker’ stairs latest Instagram spot; locals joke about potential robberies Today 10:30 AM
- PewDiePie banned in China after reacting to Winnie the Pooh memes Today 8:46 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Eagles on Sunday Night Football Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream Chargers vs. Titans in Week 7 Today 6:00 AM
- 13 spooky romance games for adults Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 9 Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Impact Wrestling’s Bound For Glory Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Bills vs. Dolphins in Week 7 Today 4:30 AM
- How to stream Jaguars vs. Bengals in Week 7 Today 4:00 AM
- How to stream Texans vs. Colts in Week 7 Today 3:00 AM
- How to stream Manchester United vs. Liverpool Saturday 10:00 PM
- Man dragged for recording, posting video of neighbor being ‘killed’ instead of helping Saturday 4:14 PM
- How to stream Saints vs. Bears in Week 7 Saturday 3:25 PM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Ravens in Week 7 Saturday 3:25 PM
- Are TikTok teens throwing up gang signs in their videos? Saturday 2:45 PM
On Monday, the government reopened after a three-day shutdown. Well, if we want to get exact, the government was actually closed for 69 hours. Yes, 69 hours. News outlets tweeted the news with this information, which immediately triggered a long-standing meme of replying “nice” to anything referencing the number 69.
BREAKING: White House official: President Donald Trump signs bill funding government through Feb. 8, ending 69-hour shutdown.— The Associated Press (@AP) January 23, 2018
After the Associated Press tweeted the news, the first “nice” reply was posted within minutes.
Nice— Mujahed Kobbe (@Moj_kobe) January 23, 2018
Niiiiiice pic.twitter.com/9y6KdkMFGo— Pat, Very Stable Genius (@PatOrmsby_XC) January 23, 2018
Niiiiiiice pic.twitter.com/G9tQx9aYTw— Natacha Pizzini (@nat_pizza) January 23, 2018
There are more than 3,000 replies to the original tweet, and most of them are “nice” jokes.
*bursts in sweating*— Mollie Goodfellow (@hansmollman) January 23, 2018
*taken down by secret service* https://t.co/SAkZySZpTu
...nice https://t.co/sgWZoStDeB— jane (@janedotjpg) January 23, 2018
*sigh*— TJ Luckman (@SteadyRiot) January 23, 2018
Will the internet ever get tired of this joke? Probably not. But on a Twitter, which has Nazis and widespread harassment issues, it’s kind of nice to see everyone still referencing a very silly meme.
Some people apparently didn’t get the memo.
Why is everyone responding "nice" to this? https://t.co/ywfztazuUa— Christopher J. Hale (@chrisjollyhale) January 23, 2018
Naturally, people replied to his tweet with more 69-nice jokes.
But one person actually went through the trouble of explaining the meme.
Chris it is bc there's a sexual position called '69" where both lovers sexually please each other orally. The number has since become a meme, like 420 (thats a weed number, not a sex number). Regards,— brad esposito (@braddybb) January 23, 2018
That should do it.
Tiffany Kelly is the Unclick editor at Daily Dot. Previously, she worked at Ars Technica and Wired. Her writing has appeared in several other print and online publications, including the Los Angeles Times, Popular Mechanics, and GQ.