- Angela Abar wrestles with destiny in ‘Watchmen’ episode 8 Sunday 9:05 PM
- Guy who runs Trump Organization Twitter account caught hyping up own tweet Sunday 4:51 PM
- People found out how tall Olaf is–and now ‘Frozen’ is terrifying Sunday 3:41 PM
- Rapper Juice WRLD dead at 21 Sunday 3:02 PM
- Embody Andrew Yang, fight other presidential candidates in video game Sunday 2:33 PM
- Ariana Grande spoke with TikTok teen who looks exactly like her Sunday 1:00 PM
- Beyoncé accused of paying dancers ‘low rates’ Sunday 11:58 AM
- Timmy Thick blasted for saying the N-word in comeback video Sunday 9:11 AM
- Netflix’s ‘The Confession Killer’ is a devastating and well-built portrait of a con artist Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! I’m ashamed to tell anyone about my online shopping habit Sunday 6:00 AM
- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
After a college student’s father lost her pet hamster, he went into classic, over-caring parent mode. Twitter users loved the dad’s texts detailing the crisis.
Steph Veerman, 19, left her hamster in the care of her father, Daniel Veerman, when she left for college. Chester, the hamster, and Daniel developed a special bond while Veerman was away. That’s why Daniel freaked out when the hamster escaped from his ball on Sunday. Veerman posted her father’s traumatic experience on Twitter.
“Please call me as soon as you get this it’s an emergency,” Daniel texted to his daughter.
my dad took over my hamster once i went back to college and ended up getting really attached and today he escaped and this goes to prove how truly pure my father is pic.twitter.com/JmTJl6jFBI— Steph Veerman (@stephyj725) November 25, 2019
When Daniel first got put on hamster duty, he wasn’t sure how he’d get along with the pet.
“I grew up with German shepherds. I’ve never had, you know, when I first got it, it was like a mouse. It wouldn’t be my first choice of pet,” Daniel told BuzzFeed News. “But then I got attached. And even more because you’re taking care of it for your daughter.”
It was a typical case–the reluctant dad who doesn’t initially want the family pet, then falls in love and ends up taking care of it more than anyone else.
Dad 5 years ago: no dogs!!— 𝓨𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓲 (@yagirlyare) December 25, 2018
My dad now: pic.twitter.com/d4bVwZsKn5
my dad: i don’t want a dog in the house!— S A K U R A (@earthangeII) January 9, 2019
also my dad: pic.twitter.com/u1DKLAzhZ7
Veerman assured her father that it was not his fault for the clever pet’s disappearance.
“Dad- he’s just a hamster. I don’t blame you at ALL. You shouldn’t skip work. You are a lawyer, and he is a hamster,” Veerman texted. “Dad it’s ok!”
But that did not stop Daniel from pulling out all the stops to find Chester. He told BuzzFeed News that he set up traps with peanut butter to lure the hamster out of hiding. But the nine-hour search ended happily when Daniel caught Chester, Veerman told the Daily Dot.
“This was the most stressful day since I took the bar exam,” Daniel texted his daughter after Chester was safely returned to his cage.
People on Twitter were there to support Daniel during this trying time.
“Happy you found him,” Brother Nature, who was made famous for his love of animals, tweeted.
Happy you found him 😂😂😂— Brother Nature (@BrotherNature) November 27, 2019
I love your dad so much and also this is the most hilarious singular message I've ever read pic.twitter.com/pTIYuiWnMf— send me cat pics (@Novaya_Mod3l) November 26, 2019
Veerman told the Daily Dot that she and her father are very close. She said this incident was yet another example of her father’s love and involvement in her life.
“Told him he had a lot of people on Twitter who loved him so he did his hair and posed for this pic I’m dead I love him so much,” Veerman tweeted, along with a photo of her dad posing with Chester.
told him he had a lot of people on twitter who loved him so he did his hair and posed for this pic i’m dead i love him so much pic.twitter.com/urR2WMmeDE— Steph Veerman (@stephyj725) November 27, 2019
- This dad remade his daughter’s NSFW photo–and people are loving it
- Twitter users are dragging their career choices with ‘flight attendant’ meme
- TikTok loves these 3 kids who kayak down concrete stairs
H/T BuzzFeed News
Libby Cohen is a third-year University of Texas student originally from New Jersey. She has written for ORANGE Magazine, the Daily Texan, and most recently interned for 1010 WINS in NYC. She's now back in Austin writing for the Texas Standard and the Daily Dot.