- ‘Rogue One’ co-writer to direct several episodes, write the pilot for Cassian Andor series 2 Months Ago
- ‘The Two Popes’: Anthony Hopkins and Jonathan Pryce shine in Netflix’s pope comedy Today 8:57 AM
- AOC, ‘Squad’ to endorse Bernie Sanders Today 8:44 AM
- ‘Ghosts of Sugar Land’ explores what happens if your friend joins ISIS Today 7:00 AM
- Andrew Yang upset porn fans with his criticism of Bing Tuesday 10:34 PM
- Kamala Harris really wants Trump kicked off Twitter Tuesday 10:22 PM
- Bernie Sanders jokes he didn’t use medical marijuana before tonight’s debate Tuesday 9:47 PM
- Tulsi Gabbard says she’s not a Russian asset—which is just what a Russian asset would say Tuesday 9:20 PM
- Warren says she doesn’t have a ‘beef with billionaires’ Tuesday 8:59 PM
- Andrew Yang’s Universal Basic Income plan gets support from other candidates Tuesday 8:40 PM
- Christmas creep is real, and it’s all over Tom Steyer’s neck Tuesday 8:05 PM
- Stans are using pictures of Beyoncé to catfish sugar daddies Tuesday 7:18 PM
- Wait, who the heck is Tom Steyer? Tuesday 7:17 PM
- Teacher caught on video in racist rant put on leave without pay Tuesday 5:44 PM
- Pornhub pulls Girls Do Porn videos amid sex trafficking charges Tuesday 4:49 PM
A new deepfake that shows comedian Bill Hader transforming into Hollywood heavyweight Tom Cruise is going viral online.
The video, developed by deepfake creator Ctrl Shift Face, is closing in on nearly 3 million views on YouTube alone.
The clip centers around Hader’s 2008 interview on the Late Show With David Letterman, in which the comedian describes meeting Cruise prior to the filming of action comedy film Tropic Thunder.
Hader, who is also known for his incredible celebrity impressions, recalls the meeting while mimicking the Top Gun star. Yet as Hader begins his impression, his face suddenly morphs into Cruise’s thanks to software that utilizes artificial intelligence.
But that’s not the only transformation. Hader also momentarily becomes fellow actor and friend Seth Rogan, an acquaintance of Cruise’s as well.
Aside from YouTube, the video has gone viral on a range of social media platforms including Twitter.
I watched this video last night and it's still freaking me out. A deep fake where Bill Hader *turns into* Tom Cruise and Seth Rogan *while impersonating them*. (via @MohamedGhilan / Ctrl Shift Face on YouTube) pic.twitter.com/59evJ5Etfi— Gavin Sheridan (@gavinsblog) August 12, 2019
The video is not the first deepfake to take advantage of Hader’s skills as an impressionist. Ctrl Shift Face racked up more than 3.6 million views in May after releasing footage of Hader becoming Hollywood icon Al Pacino during a 2005 appearance on Conan O’Brien’s late night show.
Just days prior that same month, Ctrl Shift Face garnered nearly 8 million views on YouTube after releasing a deepfake in which Hader becomes action star Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Ctrl Shift Face explained to the Daily Dot at the time how the video, his first ever to be released on YouTube, came about.
“I’m a fan of Bill Hader. I was annoyed that most [safe for work] deepfakes out there were either superhero movies, which I hate, or always Trump, Nicolas Cage or other random celebrities,” Ctrl Shift Face said. “So I came up with an idea of impression deepfakes.”
Since then, Ctrl Shift face has been responsible for some of the most viral deepfakes online.
Just last month, the deepfake artist recreated numerous scenes from the 1980s horror film The Shining by replacing actor Jack Nicholson with comedian Jim Carrey.
Mikael Thalen is a tech and security reporter based in Seattle, covering social media, data breaches, hackers, and more.