- ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ dazzles with a timely tale 1 Week Ago
- The DOJ emailed a white nationalist blog post to immigration judges 1 Week Ago
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope Today 4:11 PM
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Today 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Today 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Today 1:54 PM
- Zach Braff predicted Sean Spicer would be on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 2 years ago Today 1:38 PM
- NYPD sergeant who watched Eric Garner die punished with lost vacation days Today 1:27 PM
- Brie Larson haters have a meltdown over a joke about Thor’s hammer Today 1:26 PM
- This comedian attempted to make fun of women on Twitter—and it did not go over well Today 1:04 PM
- Logan Paul wants to help the Amazon rainforest Today 12:36 PM
- Nutaku announces redesign and filters for LGBTQ porn games Today 12:25 PM
- This video of dozens of inflatable mattresses taking off in the wind is perfect Today 12:20 PM
- Reddit mods restore Tiananmen Square image after censorship claims Today 12:18 PM
- Billie Eilish parody takes dad jokes to a whole new level Today 11:52 AM
A new deepfake that shows comedian Bill Hader transforming into Hollywood heavyweight Tom Cruise is going viral online.
The video, developed by deepfake creator Ctrl Shift Face, is closing in on nearly 3 million views on YouTube alone.
The clip centers around Hader’s 2008 interview on the Late Show With David Letterman, in which the comedian describes meeting Cruise prior to the filming of action comedy film Tropic Thunder.
Hader, who is also known for his incredible celebrity impressions, recalls the meeting while mimicking the Top Gun star. Yet as Hader begins his impression, his face suddenly morphs into Cruise’s thanks to software that utilizes artificial intelligence.
But that’s not the only transformation. Hader also momentarily becomes fellow actor and friend Seth Rogan, an acquaintance of Cruise’s as well.
Aside from YouTube, the video has gone viral on a range of social media platforms including Twitter.
I watched this video last night and it's still freaking me out. A deep fake where Bill Hader *turns into* Tom Cruise and Seth Rogan *while impersonating them*. (via @MohamedGhilan / Ctrl Shift Face on YouTube) pic.twitter.com/59evJ5Etfi— Gavin Sheridan (@gavinsblog) August 12, 2019
The video is not the first deepfake to take advantage of Hader’s skills as an impressionist. Ctrl Shift Face racked up more than 3.6 million views in May after releasing footage of Hader becoming Hollywood icon Al Pacino during a 2005 appearance on Conan O’Brien’s late night show.
Just days prior that same month, Ctrl Shift Face garnered nearly 8 million views on YouTube after releasing a deepfake in which Hader becomes action star Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Ctrl Shift Face explained to the Daily Dot at the time how the video, his first ever to be released on YouTube, came about.
“I’m a fan of Bill Hader. I was annoyed that most [safe for work] deepfakes out there were either superhero movies, which I hate, or always Trump, Nicolas Cage or other random celebrities,” Ctrl Shift Face said. “So I came up with an idea of impression deepfakes.”
Since then, Ctrl Shift face has been responsible for some of the most viral deepfakes online.
Just last month, the deepfake artist recreated numerous scenes from the 1980s horror film The Shining by replacing actor Jack Nicholson with comedian Jim Carrey.
Mikael Thalen is a tech and security reporter based in Seattle, covering social media, data breaches, hackers, and more.