- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
- The 15 best Disney+ hidden gems and deep cuts Saturday 12:23 PM
- Everyone in GoFundMe scam involving homeless veteran has now pleaded guilty Saturday 12:06 PM
- Boy invites kindergarten class to his adoption–and people are emotional Saturday 11:56 AM
- Reddit links leaked trade deal documents to Russian campaign Saturday 10:44 AM
- How to stream Alistair Overeem vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik Saturday 8:30 AM
- Amazon sends customers condoms and soap instead of Nintendo Switch Saturday 8:28 AM
- How to live stream Jermall Charlo vs. Dennis Hogan Saturday 8:00 AM
- Apple TV’s ‘Truth Be Told’ is a criminally dull drama Saturday 6:00 AM
- Thousands of Uber users have reported sexual assaults, company says Friday 5:40 PM
- ‘Astronomy Club’ reformats the sketch show Friday 4:58 PM
A new deepfake that shows comedian Bill Hader transforming into Hollywood heavyweight Tom Cruise is going viral online.
The video, developed by deepfake creator Ctrl Shift Face, is closing in on nearly 3 million views on YouTube alone.
The clip centers around Hader’s 2008 interview on the Late Show With David Letterman, in which the comedian describes meeting Cruise prior to the filming of action comedy film Tropic Thunder.
Hader, who is also known for his incredible celebrity impressions, recalls the meeting while mimicking the Top Gun star. Yet as Hader begins his impression, his face suddenly morphs into Cruise’s thanks to software that utilizes artificial intelligence.
But that’s not the only transformation. Hader also momentarily becomes fellow actor and friend Seth Rogan, an acquaintance of Cruise’s as well.
Aside from YouTube, the video has gone viral on a range of social media platforms including Twitter.
I watched this video last night and it's still freaking me out. A deep fake where Bill Hader *turns into* Tom Cruise and Seth Rogan *while impersonating them*. (via @MohamedGhilan / Ctrl Shift Face on YouTube) pic.twitter.com/59evJ5Etfi— Gavin Sheridan (@gavinsblog) August 12, 2019
The video is not the first deepfake to take advantage of Hader’s skills as an impressionist. Ctrl Shift Face racked up more than 3.6 million views in May after releasing footage of Hader becoming Hollywood icon Al Pacino during a 2005 appearance on Conan O’Brien’s late night show.
Just days prior that same month, Ctrl Shift Face garnered nearly 8 million views on YouTube after releasing a deepfake in which Hader becomes action star Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Ctrl Shift Face explained to the Daily Dot at the time how the video, his first ever to be released on YouTube, came about.
“I’m a fan of Bill Hader. I was annoyed that most [safe for work] deepfakes out there were either superhero movies, which I hate, or always Trump, Nicolas Cage or other random celebrities,” Ctrl Shift Face said. “So I came up with an idea of impression deepfakes.”
Since then, Ctrl Shift face has been responsible for some of the most viral deepfakes online.
Just last month, the deepfake artist recreated numerous scenes from the 1980s horror film The Shining by replacing actor Jack Nicholson with comedian Jim Carrey.
Mikael Thalen is a tech and security reporter based in Seattle, covering social media, data breaches, hackers, and more.