- How to watch Borussia Dortmund vs. Werder Bremen online for free 7 Months Ago
- Report: DACA recipients increasingly being denied federal housing loans Friday 3:54 PM
- Chris Christie is finally getting praise—for turning down Donald Trump Friday 3:39 PM
- Net neutrality died last year. But the fight’s just begun Friday 1:18 PM
- Kim Kierkegaardashian creator says popular Twitter account ‘speaks to the duality in all of us’ Friday 1:02 PM
- Facebook admits that 6.8 million users’ private photos were exposed Friday 12:55 PM
- YouTube reviewer heads to homeless shelter to critique the food Friday 12:46 PM
- Viral video shows Brooklyn woman’s racist tirade and violent attack Friday 12:38 PM
- 7-year-old migrant girl dies in Border Patrol custody Friday 11:31 AM
- People are losing it after hearing the end of Ariana Grande’s new song ‘Imagine’ Friday 11:28 AM
- Failed Green party candidate was secretly behind this popular QAnon account Friday 11:05 AM
- Dude gets dunked on for claiming Keira Knightley’s ‘six pack’ makes her trans Friday 10:52 AM
- A theoretical tax on Bud Light has infuriated conservatives Friday 10:10 AM
- Tumblr is back on the iOS App Store as NSFW content ban looms Friday 10:10 AM
- Here’s why YouTube deleted 58 million videos and a ton of accounts Friday 9:43 AM
Watson and Holmes are reuniting once again on the big screen.
Warner Bros. announced Monday that Sherlock Holmes 3, the long-awaited sequel to 2011’s Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, will be released on Dec. 25, 2020. Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law, who played Sherlock Holmes and John Watson in the first two installments, will reprise their roles. No other cast members have been announced.
It’s unclear if director Guy Ritchie will return to the franchise to direct Sherlock Holmes 3, but Narcos co-creator Chris Brancato is tapped to write the screenplay.
Little is known what Sherlock Holmes 3 will be about (or which Sherlock Holmes stories it might be inspired by). A Game of Shadows ended with Watson realizing that Holmes might still be alive and the revelation that Holmes did fake his own death, so the possibilities of where the story might go are endless.
The potential of a third Sherlock Holmes movie has been bubbling for years. Last year, Ritchie said, “We’ll wait and see” about a sequel to his 2011 movie while Downey Jr. told Entertainment Weekly back in March that “another Sherlock Holmes” was among the projects on his plate after he was done playing Iron Man.
Although there wasn’t a reason stated for why it took so long for Warner Bros. to reveal a release date for Sherlock Holmes 3, the schedule of its stars could have potentially been a factor. Downey Jr. has starred and appeared in several Marvel movies since 2011 while Law has major roles in the Fantastic Beasts franchise and Captain Marvel.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.