- What is “TikTok including Musical.ly”? Tuesday 8:48 PM
- Video shows driver yelling N-word at Black woman in road rage incident Tuesday 7:40 PM
- A fan gifted Billie Eilish a jacket–it ended up in a thrift store for another fan to find Tuesday 6:49 PM
- Fans are surprisingly hyping Moby up for his new vegan tattoo Tuesday 6:13 PM
- Suspicionless searches of travelers’ electronics ruled unconstitutional Tuesday 5:22 PM
- Facebook testing TikTok clone within Instagram called Reels Tuesday 5:11 PM
- Han Solo shooting scene changed yet again, spawning ‘Maclunkey’ memes Tuesday 4:52 PM
- Facebook bug opened iPhone cameras while users scrolled their feeds Tuesday 4:36 PM
- Black Facebook employees say company racism has ‘gotten worse’ Tuesday 4:01 PM
- This fish with a ‘human face’ is here to give you nightmares Tuesday 3:28 PM
- TikTok’s piercing challenge leaves the fate of your face up to a filter Tuesday 2:54 PM
- Soldiers with top-secret clearance say they were ordered to install a sketchy app Tuesday 2:46 PM
- How to take your Korean beauty routine on the go Tuesday 2:24 PM
- Disney+’s ‘Encore!’ is a love letter to high school theater Tuesday 2:15 PM
- White tourist filmed shouting homophobic, racist slurs Tuesday 1:31 PM
The Web’s favorite geek baker is raising money to open an IRL bakery
After years of accepting cake requests online, Nerdache Cakes wants to open an actual store.
There are quite a few geeks who like to express their fandom passion through equally geeky food creations, but one of the best places to fulfil your nerdy cake needs over the last few years has been the Tumblr blog Nerdache Cakes. Nerdache Cakes has been fulfilling requests for treats inspired by everything from Adventure Time to Guardians of the Galaxy. Now its founder Ant Roman wants to launch a physical bakery and cafe to serve all your delicious fandom food needs in person.
Roman recently launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise the money she needs to open her bakery.
“After 3 years of building Nerdache Cakes—from piping cupcakes in a corner in my kitchen to making 6 tier cakes for geek weddings, I’ve outgrown my tiny space,” Roman writes on the Kickstarter page. “This bakery would be built from years of work done just by myself, to a team of people ready to make your geekiest sweets come true!”
In addition to cakes, cookies, and cupcakes, the menu would also include her smoothies and cake shakes. Roman writes that she’d like to create “an interactive bakery environment that’s geeky, fun, and easy to enjoy a cup of coffee or blended smoothie in!”
Roman is clearly very talented and there’s no denying it would be fun to see some her amazing creations like the cakes below in a shop window.
As of Friday, Roman has raised more than $10,000 of her $90,000 goal with 30 days left in the campaign.
Photo via Nerdache Cakes Bakery/Kickstarter
Lisa Granshaw reports on pop culture and geek fashion and is the founder of GeekFold. You can find her work on Syfy, Boing Boing, and Geek and Sundry.