- Instagram has mixed feelings about Mindy Kaling supporting Aziz Ansari Saturday 5:02 PM
- Donald Trump keeps pushing his unsubstantiated voter fraud claims Saturday 4:09 PM
- Report: YouTube will no longer run ads on anti-vax channels Saturday 2:54 PM
- Microsoft employees want to cancel a $479 million contract with the U.S. military Saturday 1:14 PM
- Queso recipe gets launched to space Saturday 10:09 AM
- ‘Isabelle Facts’ was a wholesome queer meme account—until harassers showed up Saturday 8:28 AM
- 2016 election stories the ‘Newsroom’ reboot will cover Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Brandon Rios vs. Humberto Soto for free Saturday 6:00 AM
- ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ heads to ‘Bly Manor’ for next installment Saturday 5:45 AM
- How to stream James DeGale vs. Chris Eubank Jr. for free Saturday 5:30 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 145 in Prague for free Saturday 5:00 AM
- R. Kelly charged in Chicago with multiple counts of sex abuse Friday 7:51 PM
- Elon Musk finally hosts PewDiePie’s meme review Friday 6:27 PM
- Netflix throws ‘Umbrella Academy’-themed wedding for fans Friday 4:54 PM
- Report: Facebook collects app data on users’ body weight, menstrual cycles Friday 3:38 PM
The Web’s favorite geek baker is raising money to open an IRL bakery
After years of accepting cake requests online, Nerdache Cakes wants to open an actual store.
There are quite a few geeks who like to express their fandom passion through equally geeky food creations, but one of the best places to fulfil your nerdy cake needs over the last few years has been the Tumblr blog Nerdache Cakes. Nerdache Cakes has been fulfilling requests for treats inspired by everything from Adventure Time to Guardians of the Galaxy. Now its founder Ant Roman wants to launch a physical bakery and cafe to serve all your delicious fandom food needs in person.
Roman recently launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise the money she needs to open her bakery.
“After 3 years of building Nerdache Cakes—from piping cupcakes in a corner in my kitchen to making 6 tier cakes for geek weddings, I’ve outgrown my tiny space,” Roman writes on the Kickstarter page. “This bakery would be built from years of work done just by myself, to a team of people ready to make your geekiest sweets come true!”
In addition to cakes, cookies, and cupcakes, the menu would also include her smoothies and cake shakes. Roman writes that she’d like to create “an interactive bakery environment that’s geeky, fun, and easy to enjoy a cup of coffee or blended smoothie in!”
Roman is clearly very talented and there’s no denying it would be fun to see some her amazing creations like the cakes below in a shop window.
As of Friday, Roman has raised more than $10,000 of her $90,000 goal with 30 days left in the campaign.
Photo via Nerdache Cakes Bakery/Kickstarter
Lisa Granshaw reports on pop culture and geek fashion and is the founder of GeekFold. You can find her work on Syfy, Boing Boing, and Geek and Sundry.